Thread: Lt headers

GROUND KONTROL C.C. CEO SSMuscle's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Lt headers

Just put in some LT Headers (brand unknown), custom y pipe, taylor 10.2 mm wires, ngk iridium plugs, and for some reason i get alot of vibrations from inside the car. The dash rattles alot, and it's annoying, any reason behind this? It didn't do it before. And it does it once i put the car in drive. While it's in park it's not that bad.

silver
    2000 formula

vacum leak???

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

a vacuum leak would cause this?? Even tho it did not do this before the headers?

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Are the headers contacting anything? Kmember?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Are the headers contacting anything? Kmember?
    ^This. While it might not be the headers themselves it may very well be the Y-pipe.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Get some Prothane Poly Motor Mounts. As I have read in many other post on different forums our stock rubber motor mounts crap out pretty quick and causes vibrations after Header/Y pipe install, shifter shake, and even aftermarket lids to fit bad. The Poly Motor Mounts are a lot stiffer and will keep the engine from shaking and keep the Y pipe from banging your floorboard. Also I have heard you lose torque over your engine shaking too but i'm not sure if thats %100 true.

I have Headers and I get a very small tap in P and N. I'm getting my Polys on monday!
    Last edited by Mesterious; 06-10-2010 at 09:52 AM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSMuscle View Post
    Just put in some LT Headers (brand unknown), custom y pipe, taylor 10.2 mm wires, ngk iridium plugs, and for some reason i get alot of vibrations from inside the car. The dash rattles alot, and it's annoying, any reason behind this? It didn't do it before. And it does it once i put the car in drive. While it's in park it's not that bad.
    make sure ALL the plug wires are completely connected... also make sure the plug boot/wire isn't resting on the header pipes...

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    make sure ALL the plug wires are completely connected... also make sure the plug boot/wire isn't resting on the header pipes...
    I had a buddy with HP tuners check it out, and he doesn't see any misfiring. I have the sleeves that protect the wires. (heat wraps) or whatever they are called. Don't know if they help, just thought i'd buy them since i had the cash. I might wanna check out the y pipe as stated tho. I've read that putting something between the ypipe and bottom of car can help with the tapping. Hmm. Any ideas on how to stop it. And i'll see about getting some motor mounts. thanks

black
    1999 camaro SS

my 95 TA did this when I put LTs on. it ended up being the y pipe rattling against the sub frame on the driverside. I took it back off and gave it a good old fashion hammer pounding with a rubber mallet. when I put it back on there was no more rattle

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    my 95 TA did this when I put LTs on. it ended up being the y pipe rattling against the sub frame on the driverside. I took it back off and gave it a good old fashion hammer pounding with a rubber mallet. when I put it back on there was no more rattle
    I see.....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Don't do engine mounts unless you do the transmission also. Having either one (stiffer) then the other can cause damage to the other one. One won't move as much, one will........get my drift Do both or do none
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Don't do engine mounts unless you do the transmission also. Having either one (stiffer) then the other can cause damage to the other one. One won't move as much, one will........get my drift Do both or do none
    Ok that really doesn't make sense... I have seen on many other forums where people have done just MM and kept rubber transmission mounts. Wouldn't you think that Poly or Solid MM's would relieve stress?? Instead of the engine twisting (which "could" be the cause of a Y pipe banging) when you drive around, all the little twitches are put into the car as a whole.

If the drivetrain stress was really true, all the members of those forums cars that have just Poly or Solid MM's would be F'ed up... If you still think its not true go to ls1tech.
    Last edited by Mesterious; 06-11-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

It does make sense, think of it like this.

You put Poly motor mounts but leave the transmission mount stock. Now your engine is much stiffer and moves less compared to the transmission. You have a little bearing in the back of the crank (Pinion ) that the transmission shaft goes into. If one is stiffer and not moving and the other is moving then you "CAN" have damage. Doesn't mean it will happen to everyone but it could happen. People complain of getting vibrations after switching to Poly because of the increased stiffness.

Or you do it in reverse and switch out the transmission mount but leave the engine mounts the same. Now the tranny won't flex near as much and puts more stress on the transmission case and such.

I read this info a while ago, maybe a actual mechanic can chime in IE Cutlass :hint: :hint:
    Last edited by blackSS01; 06-11-2010 at 07:09 PM.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Hmmm......

Well, I had the car lifted today, and i don't see the y pipe close enough to the floor of the car. And when i wot it does not bang against the floor. I checked all the wires and they are all good, and i'm not getting misfires according to HPtuners. I hate the rattling of the dash already.

So what we came up with is that it could just need some mounts? Or that one of the headers is hitting the k member?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Hmmm......

Well, I had the car lifted today, and i don't see the y pipe close enough to the floor of the car. And when i wot it does not bang against the floor. I checked all the wires and they are all good, and i'm not getting misfires according to HPtuners. I hate the rattling of the dash already.

So what we came up with is that it could just need some mounts? Or that one of the headers is hitting the k member?
    I would check the headers hitting the K member first

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I would check the headers hitting the K member first
    done and done. Thanks guys

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a extra clamp on my ypipe to keep it from banging and seemed to work good
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Thread Information