Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LS7 engine

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

LS7 engine

How hard would it be to swap out an LS1 engine from a 98 Camaro, and replace it with GMs LS7 small block? Apparently is has an electronic throttle body; mine uses the cable. I mean, sure...$14,000. But 7.0 liters, almost 430 c.i., 500HP...over and done with.

silver
    02/SS/M6

You can pull those #'s out of your ls1...hell more than that, for half the cost. Just my .02

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Wink

If I had half of that I believe that I could get 500hp with just heads, cam,headers,intake and a good catback setup.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the ls7 is a small block?? there are quite a few people close to the 500hp mark on a 346. Its about proper research. a 402 or 408 could get you that at a fraction of the cost too.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

but to answer your question, you should be able to swap the motor and use the stock pcm. change over the TB to a fast cable driven. That would be my guess. The people to ask would be Katech. They've already done it

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Wow! Quick response. Thanks. It's just that if I ever had to replace the motor, while I would love to be able to drop in a 572, this one would be more realistic for me.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

well if you have that kind of money to throw at it, then go for it, but you could have something built to have the same power for a lot less.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99 View Post
    the ls7 is a small block??
    Yes, the LS7 is a small block.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

isnt it 7.0 liters? 427 cu. in.? I thought that would be considered a big block...at least in the old days ( not that im from them) up the 383 was still small and from 396 on up was considered big..or up to 396 small and then anything bigger was a big block. please explain.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

I didn't think cubic inch has anything to do w/ the size of a block.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

guess not...i know they're resleeved, but didnt know if they used a 5.7 block or 6.0 block...i guess with the new gen 3 on up it doesnt matter as much as it did in the old days.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

LS1 Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block
    4" Crank
    LS1 6.125" Rods
    im guessing the bore is 4.125 so maybe they're using a c56 block or 6.0.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99 View Post
    isnt it 7.0 liters? 427 cu. in.? I thought that would be considered a big block...at least in the old days ( not that im from them) up the 383 was still small and from 396 on up was considered big..or up to 396 small and then anything bigger was a big block. please explain.
    I think the big/small block has to do with the size of the block. LS7 is essentually a LS2 bored and stroked. I think the head arrangement also will tell if it is big or small block. Big blocks have staggered valve trains, Small blocks line up in a straight line.
    Mods: FAST 90mm, Nick Williams 90mm TB, TR 230/224 .581/.567 111 LSA, CC 921 springs, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, SLP Loudmouth, Eibach Pro Kit, Billstein HD, Baer Eradispeed, Whisper Lid, BMR SFCs, BMR Adj. LCAs, BMR reloc. brackets, HPTuners. 418HP/390ft-lbs rearwheel on a DynoJet.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

thanks. i did some searching and found out the info i needed. 6.0 block, 4" crank, 4.125 bore.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by bene View Post
    I didn't think cubic inch has anything to do w/ the size of a block.
    It has to do with the dia. of the cylinder bore, the stroke of the piston, and the specs of the crank shaft.

Yes, 7.0 liters is a 427 Big Block engine. Also the size of the engine block does depict big block to small block. the differences are there, you just have to know what you are looking for and at. Yes, you can bore a small blck to big block specs, but the fact is, its still considered a small block bored 'x' amount over to bring it to big block specs.

396 c.i. displacement and up is considered 'big block', although the 408 and 409's are considered small blocks because those were created with a bored and cranked small block engine

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    It has to do with the dia. of the cylinder bore, the stroke of the piston, and the specs of the crank shaft.

Yes, 7.0 liters is a 427 Big Block engine. Also the size of the engine block does depict big block to small block. the differences are there, you just have to know what you are looking for and at. Yes, you can bore a small blck to big block specs, but the fact is, its still considered a small block bored 'x' amount over to bring it to big block specs.

396 c.i. displacement and up is considered 'big block', although the 408 and 409's are considered small blocks because those were created with a bored and cranked small block engine
    I learned something today. WOOT!

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post

I know i am new here but i am going to disagree with you. The LSx Blocks are all small blocks. Cubic inches mean nothing. You can get a Gen 1 style block from world that is 454 cubic inches and still considered a small block. THe exterior of the block dictates its designation between small and big block.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

im gonna make some phone calls and find out for sure.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    I know i am new here but i am going to disagree with you. The LSx Blocks are all small blocks. Cubic inches mean nothing. You can get a Gen 1 style block from world that is 454 cubic inches and still considered a small block. THe exterior of the block dictates its designation between small and big block.

my bad if i may have confused. I wasn't implying that the LSx series engines were the focus of my big block/small block analysis. I'm still learning about teh LSx engine so I may be wrong and never mind being corrected. I was referring to the old cast iron blocks from the 60's up to the LT1.

You are correct the exterior of the block designates a visual small block from a big block. However, in the case of the LSx series I am not sure I have seen a small block-big block if you know what I mean. I just know that a small block can be bored 'x' amount over to make a big block with the correct crank, cylinder bore size, pistons and supporting bottom end. combine that with a deep set of small block heads and yes you now have a big block displacement in a small block configuation.

anyone please feel free to correct me or share their knowledge w/me.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    If I had half of that I believe that I could get 500hp with just heads, cam,headers,intake and a good catback setup.
    On pump gas without a power adder and with stock cubes would be very very difficult........I haven't seen it yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information