black w/ ghost stripes
    02 ws6

LS6 throttle body upgrade?

have an LS6 intake stock on my 02TA. was wondering how big is the factory throttle body, how big of a throttle body will the stock intake fit? and what would a good aftermarket throttle body be that i could put on it? thinkin of putting a throttle body and MAF in when i do my cam swap this winter.

sethta
    Just have your factory throttle body ported and no need for a MAF it won't be a restriction until around 500hp

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Your stock throttle body is either 75 or 78mm. The LS6 intakes on our cars (01, 02) are better than the 98-00 LS1 intakes, with a larger plenum volume.

FAST intakes are 90mm, conduct less heat and advertise 20HP gains over LS1 intake manifolds. The FAST intake is a better intake than our LS6, but will co$t you about $800-1000.

My opinion, spend $1000 on a set of LS6 heads for a 50HP gain, and upgrade the intake later. You'll get more bang for your buck, and you'll see larger gains from the intake upgrade later.

black w/ ghost stripes
    02 ws6

ok. also i read when going to a larger cam you should drill out the small hole in the TB to a larger diameter. the cam i went with is slightly smaller then the G5X3. any idea on how big i might need to drill that hole out to?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

What cam profile are you installing? If the lift is over .550", then you'll have to install larger valve springs.
    Last edited by jag42420; 12-07-2006 at 11:48 AM.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

This might help... http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23 Especially this part:

Optional
    Before you reinstall the air intake setup, you may want to drill your TB. This will be a trial and error process that will be different on each car and camshaft combination. If you purchased a very large cam and will be trying to drive it on stock tuning, go ahead and enlarge the hole a little even before we fire it up the first time. The *biggest* hole you should ever have to put in is around 1/4", so start small and work your way up later if you need to (after you've driven the vehicle).

To remove the throttle body, you'll need to unbolt the 3 10mm bolts holding it to the intake manifold, and also unclamp the 2 coolant lines running to the throttle body (unless you have a coolant bypass).
    Once it is off the car you can drill it. There will already be a hole in the stock throttle body blade. Here we went a few bit sizes up from stock and enlarged the stock opening to a 3/16" hole.

Clean out any metal shavings from the throttle body after drilling, and reattach the throttle body to the intake manifold (the torque spec is 9lb/ft), and reconnect any coolant lines you may have disconnected.
    End of optional section

Thread Information