Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

LS6 intake damaged

I just purchased a LS6 intake for my 2000 Camaro SS unfortunately it was damaged during shipping right near the valve in the back of it. Does anyone know how to repair the composite if possible?

Welcome to the board. Did you get it new or from a private seller? Was it insured, can you send it back?

Black on Black on Black
    2002 Camaro SS Vert

I would also add if you received it from UPS, FedEx or DHL make sure you file a claim with them soon. You just call their 800 numbers to start the process. Sometimes they want the shipper to start the claim but best to call just to have it on record. Take pics if you can and save the packaging if you still have it. This can help get the claim processed. Regardless of who you bought it from if it was damaged in shipping you should be ok. The only chance would be if the shipper didn't pack it correctly. Then the blame falls on them....Good luck

Junior Member Team Ramrod Customs's Avatar

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Also I would ask what method of payment that you used. If the shipper and/or the carrier are not willing to help, then you can always have a charge back filed through your credit card company. Even if it was a debit card, most are still backed by visa, mastercard, amex, or discover. In either situation a damaged product that the seller is unwilling to exchange or accept as return, is grounds for a chargeback. A similar process can take place through paypal if you paid using their service. I have went through this process both with Paypal and credit card provider in the past. Good luck!

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Thanks, I actually got in contact with the seller and he told me that it was insured through Fed Ex, I did purchase it through Pay pal and put in a claim with them. Luckily I was able to fix the intake manifold tonight with some fiber glass resin. It got damaged right near the MAP sensor in the back of the manifold. The only thing is I don't know for sure if this resin will hold up, is it worth keeping? Hopefully tomorrow when I put in the claim with Fed Ex they can possibly reimburse me for the damage since Im willing to keep the manifold. Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Of course it is worth keeping! Heat up the resin a little so it seeps into the crack!

white
    2002 z28

thats kinda ifffy but heyt if it works

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    thats kinda ifffy but heyt if it works
    If it leaks, it could cause a problem. But, the chances of that happening are slim to none! If ya change your mind and want a new one, I'll buy that one off of you.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Thanks, So far so good with the repair I sanded down the resin on the back of it, and it looks great! But I've been getting negative feedback from friends if the resin will actually hold up so we'll see. Im still contemplating on keeping it or selling it, if I do I'll most definately let you guys know. Mainly all thats going through the intake is air being vacuum in and not necessarily pressurize, I deffinately think this resin should hold up.

white
    2002 z28

lets all pray

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    lets all pray
    Amen.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Any suggestions on how I would test the manifold to see if its leaking or not from the back? water and air?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I bought one which was damaged in shipping, glued it up at a performance shop and it held...........for 2 weeks. Than it cracked again where the brake booster line was and my brakes failed leaving my work parking lot....not fun. Ended up selling it because I was fed up and the new guy bought a map sensor for it from GM, cost around $65-$80 I believe for a new one. Good luck and be careful

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Dude get rid of that! If it got damaged, they should send you a new one. You shouldn't ever settle for damaged products, even the minute problems could turn into big ones like Hurley mentioned. Get them to send you a new one and sell that broken one to 9t8z28

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by 01RaptorTA View Post
    Dude get rid of that! If it got damaged, they should send you a new one. You shouldn't ever settle for damaged products, even the minute problems could turn into big ones like Hurley mentioned. Get them to send you a new one and sell that broken one to 9t8z28
    +1 I could have been killed because of the damage which "Seemed" to be fixed. Glue/resin is never going to be 100% safe on a car which produces as much torque/power as ours. The engine is constantly moving and shaking as is the manifold with it

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Exactly. On something like a 4 door sedan that makes 130hp, then that would be a great fix on a budget, but not something that makes 320hp. Especially something that you probably spent a lot of money on, and means a little more to you than installing broken components...

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

The only thing I can recommend is to see how much a new map sensor costs, other than that send it back and get your $$$$

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Thanks guys, overall the MAP sensor is fine it was just the actual manifold that was damaged right near the MAP sensor opening. Im hoping Fed Ex will reimburse me for the damages and inconvenience, its been a hastle and if the resin isnt going to hold up on the manifold I definately don't want to keep a broken manifold.

Black on black
    2003 Bonneville SSEi S/C

Oh the manifold itself cracked? No way dude, get that shit refunded. Its gunna keep cracking.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

That Fiber glass resin is suppose to hold up against heat under the hood, So I dont know if its still worth keeping with the repair done to it.

Thread Information