Silver
    Chevrolet Camaro SS 2000

Exclamation LS1 Ported Throttle Body

I installed a polished/ported tb (Ebay) on my 2000 SS. Noticeable difference, but car idles high (1000 rpm).In D it will go to 1200-1500 and car will go 40-50 mph with no pressure on gas pedal.When I brake it takes too long for revs to come down and then it goes back to 1500 rpm regardless.Diablo tune helped abit. Help!
    Camaro SS 2000. Auto 85k

SLP lid- Ported TB- TB bypass-NGK plugs and wires-Hooker ceramic headers and muffler.SFC-CME.160 thermostat. Nocat or EGR.
    Diablo tune. HD transmission. Fuddle 3000 stall/ BMR / Spohn swaybars. Chromoly driveshaft. 3.73 Motive
    SLP wheels.

black
    1998 ws6 trans am

Look at the hole on the butterfly. Sometime if you put a bigger cam you have to drill the hole bigger. Thats my problem to but I already have a bigger cam i just have to put it in. Hope this help you.

Silver
    Chevrolet Camaro SS 2000

Got it...I will explain this to mechanic.Sorry about the dumb question,but where is the cam.I know what the butterfly is.New to this type of stuff.Thanks again

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

cam = camshaft....he is talking in reference to valve train not your throttle body,...butterfly = the blade in your throttle body that moves to let air in, there is a little screw that adjusts your throttle body blade, I would take throttle body off and hold it up to a light with the blade closed you should see no light around the blade or it is staying open alittle. like said before there is a little hole drilled in the blade if it has been made bigger (typical for someone who has an aftermarket cam) it will cause the car to idle faster, another issue is if the throttle linkage is larger than your stock one was if so your throttle cable may be too short. No biggie if it is, you can take the throttle linkage off your stock TB and put it in your ported TB, that is what I personally had to do. TB from 01-02 car has larger throttle linkage mine came from 01 and my car is 99. so compare the blade of your ported tb and stock tb, look to see if the whole appears to be same size first, if it is then look to see if the blade is all the way closed if so then look at throttle linkage (sprocket type deal that the throttle cable hooks to) see if it is same size. Let me know what you find out and I will tell you how to fix it as best as I can.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Silver
    Chevrolet Camaro SS 2000

Thanks for your help.I emailed the seller of the tb and he said he epoxied the hole back to its original diameter.He thinks the blade is sticking.I guess I need to take it off and see what's up.Any ideas?...Thanks again

Black
    06 Chevy Caprice HT (RIP)

I have had a similar issue with my BBK throttle body...

All you need is a Gasket between the throttlebody and intake manifold. a 1 mm will be perfect...Sometimes they dont seal just right, addin to the air sneakin through...

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

What year was the car that the TB came from if 01-02 the throttle linkage is bigger and makes your cable to short for the blade to close all the way. Then again it may be sticking open a little due to the TB being dirty or may need to adjust it with the screw on the side of the TB(it only does minimal adjustment). Check throttle linkage, compare the size if it is different it will be noticeable. I am talking in reference to the part of the Throttle body that your throttle cable hooks to. if they are the same size or different sizes post up and we will go from there.

Silver
    Chevrolet Camaro SS 2000

So far everything is understood, thanks for the help guys!!!! I will be getting some tuning done this afternoon or tomorrow, so I will let you know what happens from there~~!!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

shouldnt need a tune for just ported TB. check out the things I mentioned first.

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

May I join in on this. I am having the exact same problem.

I put a 2002 ported TB on my '99 and found the cable too
    short, the throttle plate would not close. So I went down and got a cable from a 2002 and put that on. That fixed the closing but now the throttle will not open all the way, missing the bumpstop by maybe 3/16 to 1/4 inches. This
    is accounting for the bumpstop mod on the TB.

Oh, I have automatic traction control and the cable
    from the TB hooks to some sort of a three cable pulley
    arrangement. Dono what it does.

Actually, I sort of like the slower, more progressive throttle action if I can get the WOT fixed.

I sure would appreciate any help or insight that I can get.

...>>Sam

flat black
    didnt the cam plate change for the 01-02 TB's im not sure but i swear i remember seeing that the actual cam for the butterfly was different for some years which would acount for you having to change your cable

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by lrader99 View Post
    didnt the cam plate change for the 01-02 TB's im not sure but i swear i remember seeing that the actual cam for the butterfly was different for some years which would acount for you having to change your cable
    Yes it did. It seems like the 98 & 99 has what I will call the short cam and the 01 & 02 had the longer cam. Dono on
    00. With a longer cable I fixed the throttle close problem but now the throttle will not open all the way. I am hoping that
    someone here will know the solution to make it work correctly all around.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I used an 01 ported Tb also, I just swapped the throttle linkage(cam) from my stock 99 and put in the 01 so it would work with my cable. No problems.

Red
    '99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    I used an 01 ported Tb also, I just swapped the throttle linkage(cam) from my stock 99 and put in the 01 so it would work with my cable. No problems.
    I got it fixed! I found a funny connector about midway in the cable from the TB to the traction control pulley assembly and after playing around with it, I found that it did allow some adjustment. I have it now where the TB closes properly and at WOT it is halfway between the original bumpstop location and where the bumpstop is now, after being modified to get the throttle plate to open all of the way. I think that is as good as it gets and I can live with it. I stayed with the 2002 cam as I like the slightly softer more progressive action.

...>>Sam

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

glad you got it worked out.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information