Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

LS1 PCV hose to steel line conversion?

Is there any reason why we couldn't just get some steel fuel line (or something like it) and and bend/make new PCV hose routing, up until the connection points in the back, and just before the PCV hose?

I'm going to buy a PCV oil catch can soon, and might as well replace the the hose on it too.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

So long as you have sections of rubber to give it a little flexibility I do not see why a steel line would be an issue. I am not certain if the factory replacement is even available anymore. I swapped mine out a few years back but have not touched it since. Catch can is almost a must for our cars.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    So long as you have sections of rubber to give it a little flexibility I do not see why a steel line would be an issue. I am not certain if the factory replacement is even available anymore. I swapped mine out a few years back but have not touched it since. Catch can is almost a must for our cars.
    Rock Auto still has some aftermarket ones, they show AC Delco/GM ones a few months ago but I didn't see them the last time I looked.

I figure I can run some fuel line, and use a line bender & flarer for some of the bends, and make the ends fuel hose to minimize the chance for vacuum leaks, and it would be easier to clean out any sludge buildup. Probably cost a 1/4 of what a new on would.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I am also curious as to why GM didn't just run a pre-bent tube through most of the pcv line, with short hoses for flexibility.

They will make a PCV valve heater tube, but not "tube-ify" most of the routing, to prevent leaks, and such.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I posted a response last Friday and I see it didn't post.

Seriously the LS6 VCT is the cheaper and easiest option. Well I mean you may be able to fab something cheaper but I got mine for $65 in 2011. If this is going on a 01-02 block it's as simple as pulling the intake and then swapping out. Do the knock sensors while there as well. After you rip off the POS stock PCV crap just need to plug up the ports on the valve covers.

It works so well It's got me wondering if I still need my catch can.

In the Tech threads I have a thread on doing it. Problem is the pics are being held hostage by Photobucket.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I posted a response last Friday and I see it didn't post.

Seriously the LS6 VCT is the cheaper and easiest option. Well I mean you may be able to fab something cheaper but I got mine for $65 in 2011. If this is going on a 01-02 block it's as simple as pulling the intake and then swapping out. Do the knock sensors while there as well. After you rip off the POS stock PCV crap just need to plug up the ports on the valve covers.

It works so well It's got me wondering if I still need my catch can.

In the Tech threads I have a thread on doing it. Problem is the pics are being held hostage by Photobucket.
    If I hadn't already just done the knock sensors (washed the engine compartment right before Carlisle), and I had the time, extra money at that moment, I would've because I do have an LS6 block.

Maybe when the Cam and Heads get done but the oil catch can is eminent, and might as well set it up better than it is.

Thread Information