Navy Metallic Blue
    2000 Camaro Z-28

LS-6 intake manifold

I found a steal at a wrecking yard, an LS-6 intake manifold for 50.00 but one of the mounting holes wear the fuel rail bolts up at is broken off its in near brand new condition and the intake only has 8000 miles on it. the mount that is gone is at the rear on the driver side is there any way i could fix it or repair it to hold the fuel rail properly and it be safe. no cracks or holes just that one mounting place is gone. im afraid to buy it and it be worthless cause the fuel rail wont stay in. any ideas would be helpful.
    Last edited by Y2KblueZ-28; 10-04-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Putting an LS6 IM in place of an LS1 takes some fitting, I believe.
    Either grinding underneath the IM or something like that. Additionally, replacing it will not effect your emissions in any way. Remember, you may need to have a hole drilled in the front of the IM (there is an obvious spot), for your smog line to go in.

I really wanted to keep my car emissions legal as well living in California, but had the opportunity to get LT headers installed for free. I decided to go with it & in return yanked all of my emissions equipment seeing that having LT's guarantees you won't pass a smog.

If you are not getting LT headers and you are ONLY replacing the IM, you will be fine. As far as power, you should notice a slight difference.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

SLP makes an LS6 manifold that is setup to have EGR. or just get a regular LS6 intake and take EGR off your car and delete the code from the PCM. There are coolant lines that run under neath the intake for the heads. all you have to do is change them to the LS6 coolant lines and you wont have to grind on the under neath side of the intake to make it fit.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Either grinding underneath the IM or something like that. Additionally, replacing it will not effect your emissions in any way. Remember, you may need to have a hole drilled in the front of the IM (there is an obvious spot), for your smog line to go in.

I really wanted to keep my car emissions legal as well living in California, but had the opportunity to get LT headers installed for free. I decided to go with it & in return yanked all of my emissions equipment seeing that having LT's guarantees you won't pass a smog.

If you are not getting LT headers and you are ONLY replacing the IM, you will be fine. As far as power, you should notice a slight difference.
    Lont tubes will fail you on emissions in Cali.? Could you not just put cats in your new Y pipe and be smog legal? That is what other guys do anyway, but then again emission testing in Cali. may be more strict.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    Lont tubes will fail you on emissions in Cali.? Could you not just put cats in your new Y pipe and be smog legal? That is what other guys do anyway, but then again emission testing in Cali. may be more strict.
    Pretty sure you would fail the visual. If they see long tube headers under the hood, i believe you fail automatically...

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

How come us 01 and 01ers dont have an EGR...what did GM do to eliminate this and why?

Sorry for whoring your thread man

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Pretty sure you would fail the visual. If they see long tube headers under the hood, i believe you fail automatically...
    shorties only in cali.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post
    How come us 01 and 01ers dont have an EGR...what did GM do to eliminate this and why?

01 & 02 cars had the LS6 intake stock.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I honestly dont know jack about emission testing as we do not have it here in Indiana yet. I heard some guys saying that in their state they would only do the OBD II test, no visual.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    shorties only in cali.
    Wouldn't SLP's LT headers and y work with cats and would pass in cali??

Excuse me if i'm wrong, i'm lucky not to have to know this here alabama.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post

I've wondered that myself, EGR must not do jack for emissions or GM wouldn't have dropped them. If the EGR does what my GM 1998 manual says they do, I would think the engine couldn't run with-out them lol. I don't understand how a 98-00 car can fail without a EGR when 01-02 doesn't have them.

Peweter
    2002 SS

If any one is interested i have an LS6 intake for sale....$325, buyer pays shipping.
    Intake only has 22,000 miles on it. E-mail me at vinnyjf@aol.com

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Either grinding underneath the IM or something like that. Additionally, replacing it will not effect your emissions in any way.

Negative, the LS6 intake is a direct bolt on for the 98-00 models. No fitting, grinding or modifications need to be made for fitment. It is necessary to change the coolant lines because the flat bottom of the LS6 intake does not allow for the older style coolant lines. Very simple fix though.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KblueZ-28 View Post
    I found a steal at a wrecking yard, an LS-6 intake manifold for 50.00 but one of the mounting holes wear the fuel rail bolts up at is broken off its in near brand new condition and the intake only has 8000 miles on it. the mount that is gone is at the rear on the driver side is there any way i could fix it or repair it to hold the fuel rail properly and it be safe. no cracks or holes just that one mounting place is gone. im afraid to buy it and it be worthless cause the fuel rail wont stay in. any ideas would be helpful.
    Is the actual hole screwed up or just that mounting bracket the fuel rail is on? That hole is for one of the intake bolts. I'd be kinda concerned that it would leak if it's that back one. How is the intake broken? Is the actual intake itself broken or is the brass sleeve broke? I'd like to see a picture of it so I knew what you were talking about. $50 might very well be worth trying to make it work. I'd also verify by part number that it's an actual LS6 intake.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    california emissions states that you cannot move the cats from their original location.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Negative, the LS6 intake is a direct bolt on for the 98-00 models. No fitting, grinding or modifications need to be made for fitment. It is necessary to change the coolant lines because the flat bottom of the LS6 intake does not allow for the older style coolant lines. Very simple fix though.
    if you grind off the ribs underneath, then, you can retain the LS1 cooling lines.

Thread Information