Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Loudmouth or True Duals?

Hey guys I am going to be doing headers and exhaust on my Formy very soon. Would I benefit from going true duals with an X-Pipe and dumps any over going with the LM? How does the sound compare? I have had the LM but I would think the duals would be a little less raspy. I also plan on going with a cam in a couple of months. Thanks for your opinions.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Loudmouth equals sound of a dump truck. Trust me I had with Lt's and ory. I had it on for 2 days.

True duals is the way to go. Put in 1 chamber flowmasters. My favorite sounding exhaust.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648722

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

flowmaster sound decent but suck for performance

TD's w. H or X are the way to go, personally i love dumps but make sure to tuck them nicley
    how loud and raspy they will be depends on your muffler choice...

TSP Torquer II QTP LT's X pipe Magnaflow bullets > dumps ='s INSANLEY LOUD and alot of rasp... love it personally... but not a DD so its just for fun

if you went LT's ORY LM def go with LMII to quiet it a bit

remeber the sound only matter to your ears and no one elses... ls1sounds.com may help you decide too

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The 1 chambers do not hinder performance like the other series flowmasters do.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADDLS1 View Post
    flowmaster sound decent but suck for performance

TD's w. H or X are the way to go, personally i love dumps but make sure to tuck them nicley
    how loud and raspy they will be depends on your muffler choice...

TSP Torquer II QTP LT's X pipe Magnaflow bullets > dumps ='s INSANLEY LOUD and alot of rasp... love it personally... but not a DD so its just for fun

if you went LT's ORY LM def go with LMII to quiet it a bit

remeber the sound only matter to your ears and no one elses... ls1sounds.com may help you decide too

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

if your gonna install dumps on your ride, don't worry too much on the performance end of your exhaust, just the sound since you will probably use the dumps when you race.

Red
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

When I do my exhaust again I'll most likey do true duals. I currently run the Loudmouth, ory and headers with the G5x4 cam and wish it was louder.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

True Duals. No comparison in terms of sound to the LM, not to mention duals with an X make more power and torque.

You can run the TD's in the same location as the stock exhaust and out the back, you just have 2 pipes parallel to each other insead of one big one

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Duals.
    Magnaflow mufflers.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    True Duals. No comparison in terms of sound to the LM, not to mention duals with an X make more power and torque.

You can run the TD's in the same location as the stock exhaust and out the back, you just have 2 pipes parallel to each other insead of one big one
    need to relocate panhard rod... looks SICK when done right forsure
    there was a good thread about this on www.fastlsx.com recently

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Duals.
    Magnaflow mufflers.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

How about the mufflers TSP offers? I would probably go with their system since nobody locally does mandrel bends. They offer bullets, Moroso Spiral Cores or the Sweet Thunder Chambered mufflers.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

need to relocate panhard rod
    when using 2.5" pipe, no need to relocate the upper panhard brace. i have the bassani tru-duals on both of my cars with stock upper panhard brace.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    when using 2.5" pipe, no need to relocate the upper panhard brace. i have the bassani tru-duals on both of my cars with stock upper panhard brace.
    i was assuming 3"

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    How about the mufflers TSP offers? I would probably go with their system since nobody locally does mandrel bends. They offer bullets, Moroso Spiral Cores or the Sweet Thunder Chambered mufflers.
    TD set up w. sweet thunders sound AMAZING!!!

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

How do the sweet thunders flow?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I have the TSP true duals with sweet thunders. I love them, at idle they are deep and docile, at WOT they scream. I would assume they flow very well they are similar to glass pack type muffler, not really much to them if you look inside them.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

i was assuming 3"
    I think 3" is overkill for duals unless you pushing a ton of power, like in a turbo or S/C application.

Dual 2.5" pipes should be plenty for most bolt-on or H/C guys.

Black
    01 Z28 M6

not that this will end the arguement...but my dyno #s and exhaust are in sig. My hp was exactly the same with cutouts open. I gained 4 lbft of torque though.
    01 Z28 M6 Black Leather ttop Dyno tune,MTI lid,85mmMAF,smooth bellow,FAST78mmTB,TR55s,taylorwires,QTP LT w/hvmc,TSP TDsweetthunder under axle CME.BMR sfcs,UMI ta,lca,phb.4:10s,TA cover,Black 17x9.5 Z06 wheels.Black halos,black signals/tail lights.3300lbs w/o driver 349hp&367tq

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

love the sound of my LM with LT's/ORY. i wish it was a little louder actually. i don't hear the drone/rasp people talk about. Tons of thumbs up when on the road, and little kids drop their jaws as i drive by. some car windows go up others roll them down to hear my car. i love it...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Don't beat yourself up over flow numbers on different mufflers. I experimented with several brands of mufflers on a few of my cars, one in particular has had 6 different mufflers and/or entire systems. All were tested at the track with no changes in ET or MPH.
    Most of your gains will be found with the size of pipe you use, how the overall system is configured, mandrel bends, etc....
    Mufflers may become a little more critical whe trying to push alot of HP through a single pipe style system, but again, the difference in flow between the brands is so minimal, you may see a slight gain on a dyno,,,but at the track where the numbers count you won't see much difference if any.
    Going to a dual system will help greatly, but again,,,it's not the mufflers that are doing it as much as the fact that you are changing to dual pipes.
    I was never a fan of dumping it in front of the rearend, that is a cheap way out, and the interior noise can be horrible. Having tailpipes are not going to kill power if designed properly. These cars are nice, comfy, and can be rather pricey,,,they deserve better. Not trying to ruffle feathers.
    Going duals? spend the money and grab the pre bent dual setup that others are running here. It's a very nice system and well worth the money.
    If going with a single system, I have run the loud mouth, flowmaster, edelbrock, etc....none of them gave me more ET or MPH than the other, all ran the same, but the sound was drastically different, and thats really what it boils down to.
    For me,,,if I were putting together a max effort 3rd or 4th gen street car, I would go straight for the 4 inch Mufflex system with either the flowmaster or spintech muffler. I have seen naturally asperated 4th gens running 10's through this system, and it's the best sounding system I have heard.
    I have typed long enough so I don't want to get into what I have tried, liked, disliked, but to sum it up,,,in the end it came down to a sound preference, because I found no real performance differences.
    Go with what you like to listen to the best and you will be happy, don't worry so much about what the flow sheets say. Larry.

Thread Information