its blue.....
    1999 Trans-Formula

Loudmouth Exhaust Question

OK so I have the LM 2 system on my car and I recently posted a thread stating that it wasnt loud it sounds like a regular exhaust system, I even had some friends tell me at WOT its not as loud as it should be, my question is this have any of you had this problem I had a local dealership inspect my cats and they said they are fine and working I have had the exhaust on my car for 4 years and have 103k miles on my car , another thing I notice sometimes is if I punch it and then let off there is a couple of loud popping noises coming from what I would say is around where the resonator is? Anybody have this problem or know how to fix it

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Is it the lm resonator or a replacement muffler ie dynomax.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

its blue.....
    1999 Trans-Formula

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Is it the lm resonator or a replacement muffler ie dynomax.
    J
    It is the LM resonator I believe the bullet one is what they call it (the one without the baffling material in it)

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

LM2 is like a glasspack, it's got sound deflecting material in it. LM1 is just a resonator, totally straight through.

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

any free flowing exhaust is going to pop a little if you rev high and let completely off real quick

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

i dunno about LM2, but i had LM1 on my last car (98 Z28), and it there was nothing quiet about it. But there was certainly backfiring when i cut the throttle, but i kind of enjoyed it to tell you the truth...

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    i dunno about LM2, but i had LM1 on my last car (98 Z28), and it there was nothing quiet about it. But there was certainly backfiring when i cut the throttle, but i kind of enjoyed it to tell you the truth...
    oh yeah it sounds great doesn't it. I love the sound even with my magnaflow system on it right now.... Gah I have a LM1 sitting in garage waiting on me to have enough time to install my long tubes (pacestetters that I'm ceramic coating with red coating....woo)

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

i had the same issue with sound with my lm2. so the other day i went to a muffler shop and had them take the resonator off and put 3 inch pipe instead. it made it a little louder but not much, is this the same as having lm1

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    i had the same issue with sound with my lm2. so the other day i went to a muffler shop and had them take the resonator off and put 3 inch pipe instead. it made it a little louder but not much, is this the same as having lm1
    no... when you have the lm1 you have a resonator with no sound deadening in it. what you have now is actually gonna sound better by my standards, but it's too loud for this area I think. I have to hear what it sounds like on my car before I can say that

its blue.....
    1999 Trans-Formula

Ok here is my 2 cents on the LM 1 and LM2 the LM 1 is all welded together full exhaust system with a basically hollowed resonator the LM 2 system is a little different because it has a resonator with some silencing material in it to make it a little quieter than the LM1 system but the LM 2 system also is clamped sections of the exhaust giving you the ability to interchange and put the LM 1 hollow resonator in place of the quieter one which the LM2 system comes with (which is what I did) so if there is any confusion yes I have the LM2 system but I opted for the LM1 resonator with no material on the inside of it

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Just to clarify, the OLD LM1 had the resonator welded in. The new LM1 does not, although you can buy the retro-fit kit. But the LM2 isn't just the bullet-muffler, because you can buy the LM2 with the shotgun resonator. The LM2 just signifies that you can swap out between the resonator or the bullet muffler. There are places that sell the system with whichever one you want. You just have to buy the other one separate if you want both.

The LM2 with a resonator has NO sound deadening material in it. I have it on my car and it's very loud. I do get some popping on decel but that's normal.

its blue.....
    1999 Trans-Formula

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    Just to clarify, the OLD LM1 had the resonator welded in. The new LM1 does not, although you can buy the retro-fit kit. But the LM2 isn't just the bullet-muffler, because you can buy the LM2 with the shotgun resonator. The LM2 just signifies that you can swap out between the resonator or the bullet muffler. There are places that sell the system with whichever one you want. You just have to buy the other one separate if you want both.
    what you said is what I meant lol

its blue.....
    1999 Trans-Formula

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    The LM2 with a resonator has NO sound deadening material in it. I have it on my car and it's very loud. I do get some popping on decel but that's normal.
    If you use the resonator that comes with the kit it has some sound restricting material unless you purchase the bullet style resonator that is on the original LM1 system

I used the resonator that came with the kit I installed and it had no sound deadening material. I did not special order any type of resonator.

Thread Information