metalic blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Looking for advice

Well I have been researching the last few weeks and I think it just got more confusing. I am going to install headers but I don't want to pay for Kooks because that cuts into my new Moser 9" fund. I was going to go with TSP 1 3/4 stainless but started reading about nightmares of installs and the ORY. I wanted to stay with stainless and was thinking about Hooker, or should I just go with coated Pacesetter? My car is a lowered 2000 SS so I really need to watch my clearance, I would like it to be tucked up as tight as it can. Thanks for all the input and advice

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do an ebay search for "obx ls1 headers".....stainless at half the price of most stainless systems and that's even with a Y pipe. You can also do a search on here for ebay headers.....there are many many threads about them on here. The obx headers have a good reputation.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with Orion. Many members here also run the Pacesetters and seem to like them.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Kooks are pricey, but very nice with excellent fitment. I agree with the above, lots of guys running Pacesetters, OBX and such without any issues. I have ceramic coated headers installed on another car and they have held up really well. I do recommend you pick up a set of stock exhaust gaskets from your local GM garage in lieu of running anything else. I think my Kooks came with Percy's gaskets and I never even opened the package.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've reused the stock gaskets on the last 3 or 4 sets I've put in. The stockers really won't wear out unless you physically damage them.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Of all the headers i've installed pacesetters were the easiest to install. They fit great with the texas speed ypipe and it's got a real nice merge. If you got the money though, a nice stainless set is the way to go (kooks, arh, stainless works)

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have obx headers and I am lowered with no clearance issues. The only fitment issue I had was that they were too close to my oil drain plug. I ordered a custom length one off ebay that was about an inch long and it is perfect now. Although if I had to do it again I would either do TSP stainless headers or kooks. The obx get tarnished looking pretty fast btw.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I got pacesetters, and they slid right in. No monkeying around at all.

metalic blue
    2000 Camaro SS

I want to thank everyone for their help with this issue, but I have two more questions on this subject. Do you think that the armor coat is worth it on the Pacesetter? and has anyone ever used headers from ssautochrome? I could not find a name other then the web site, I apologize if I am not suppose to put that but again I could not find a brand name..

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
    I want to thank everyone for their help with this issue, but I have two more questions on this subject. Do you think that the armor coat is worth it on the Pacesetter? and has anyone ever used headers from ssautochrome? I could not find a name other then the web site, I apologize if I am not suppose to put that but again I could not find a brand name..
    I use the Pacesetter with just paint on our daily driven 4th gens,,,,they've held up fine for the last 3-4 years? I live in a dry climate though. I kind of got sick of the jet hot coatings. Use them on the Chevelle and I have to take them off to be redone every 4-5 years at $500 a pop. So everything else with headers gets rattle canned. I figure if I have to take them off every 4-5 years to be recoated at Jet Hot,,,then I can deal with rattle canning the others every 4-5 years and save myself a hell of alot of money.

Personally though,,,,if paint isn't in the cards,,,,I'd look at stainless headers. Preferably something better than 304 stainless (that will still rust). You'll spend more money but 10 years from now you'll thank yourself if you plan to keep the car that long.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's not driven a whole lot, but the coating on our Corvette headers is going on at least 8 years old now without any issues.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Pacesetter Ceramic Coated going on 3 yrs now and no rust issues. And I live where it has the most average rain fall in the entire US.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not sure on the years but ~20k miles with coated pacesetters and they still look almost brand new. That's probably 7 years or so. I can probably easily get 7 more out of them. Car doesn't see any snow and very little rain. It's been years since it was driven in the rain other than getting caught in a little sprinkle once or twice.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I went with KooKs and yes expensive BUT the fitment/clearance was not a problem,,,Ive found out that sometimes its better to wait on things then to just rush it and do it because of lack funds..I know thats how i get i want it yesterday ....but the members have spoken and getting the aboved named brands other then KooKs seems good too!

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Op if youre into spending the cash on some good stainless headers then I'd look at ARH or Stainless works also preferably arh over everything else lol. but for budget headers i love my bbk's they do have some small rust on the bottom but for being 3 yrs old DD in florida they do pretty well and I'd def buy them again they install super easy and dont come close to hitting anything plus theyre $365 for the headers and ory which is tough to beat.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Go stainless. I like the TSP ones.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

+1 on the BBKs. I have them for a year now and they still look good as new.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Thread Information