Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

longtube headers w/o tune= promblems? help please!!

I wanted to know if i put lt's on my car without a tune will it tear up something? thanks

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

no, you wont tear anything up. you a/f ratio will be off some and will set off the ses lite
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I've been running mine for about 15,000 miles with no tune and the SES light on. Runs real good.

Black
    2000 Z/28 a4 t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    I've been running mine for about 15,000 miles with no tune and the SES light on. Runs real good.
    Same here. About the same amount of miles too.

Red
    2000 SS

Mine still is untuned. Runs well. Can't wait to get it tuned though, I am tired of seeing the SES light.

2000 SS M6 #5445 - 13k miles
    SLP Lid, Pacesetter LT's/ORY, SLP dual/dual catback, QTP cutout, Hurst w/ WS6 store SS

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

mine is not tuned yet, lol it seems like there are more people untuned then tuned lol...jk
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by ApexVIII View Post
    mine is not tuned yet, lol it seems like there are more people untuned then tuned lol...jk
    Im untuned but im also runnin super rich.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

I Dont have a tune i have the electric cutouts from QTP and its running rich. i even got a loud ass backfire out of it one time when i started it after i first put it on. nothing serious has happend though.
    2002 WS.6--------------------1994 Camaro
    QTP LT headers-----------------V6 3.4L Bone stock!
    QTP ORY W/Cutouts - POS!
    SLP CAI Lid
    SLP Line Locks
    Aeroforce OBD-II Gauges
    92mm FAST Intake
    92mm FAST TB
    Stage 2 A4 trans

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

No you wont tear anything up, LIke said above it may run a bit rich. I also drove for a few months without a tune but to get the most gains out of your instail a tune will be the way to go, and to get rid of that pesky Ses light.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Decided to get headers and Y pipe for mine too. My cats are going bad so what better time to ditch them altogether.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Decided to get headers and Y pipe for mine too. My cats are going bad so what better time to ditch them altogether.
    Take it back to the dealer and have the cats replace befor ya pull them off.
    I think it was 80k/8year or ten years.hmm so many numbers
    J

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Ive had my Headers and ORY on for about 400-500 miles and my SES light just went off, by itself.

Im getting it tuned soon though so thats going to help a lot.
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Red
    2001 ws6

your not fully getting everything out of your LT's without a tune......

Pewter
    99 Firehawk convertable

I have lts & ory no cats on my hawk, car ran good but was way to rich. I had a friend lean it out some & added about 8 degrees of timing. Now the car runs like a bat out of hell, I'm very pleased, lost a little mileage but I can live with that.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Take it back to the dealer and have the cats replace befor ya pull them off.
    I think it was 80k/8year or ten years.hmm so many numbers
    J
    I will NEVER take my car to a dealer again EVER! Fk the cats not worth my aggrivation.

** No offense to you though and I appreciate the suggestion.

2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

Dealer won't replace the cats on the recall unless you're throwing an O2 code so don't bother trying. The factory tune on these cars is rich so putting headers on and ORY actually leans it out more but will still seem a little rich. My car is running lean with my lid, ported TB, airbox mod and longtube headers. I still think you guys think it's rich but it's really just the dirty exhaust with no cats that make it seem rich. But each car is different. If you do longtube headers you should definitely have a lid, modified airbox, ported TB and do the EGR tube mode or ditch it. That will create a well balanced overall increase in airflow into the engine and out of the engine. The stock tune will be pretty close with that combo. But a custom tune will help any engine pick up 15-20 hp, not just headers alone. So it's worth the cost to get a tune.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I got headers this summer and had them installed and it was definitely slower and running pretty crappy. I brought the car down to New Haven to get it street tuned and the guy couldn't finish it cuz my car wasn't getting a enough fuel (hopefully just the fuel filter that I have since replaced). Now i'm waiting til next summer to get the tune done.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

I recently installed long tube headers and off road Y-pipe on mine. I tune it myself (before the header install) but haven't really found the need to do any further tuning after the header install.

I deleted the rear 02's and that was it.

Before the header install I had the long term fuel trims at -1 or -2 just about everywhere. After the header install I had 0 LTFT's and a few spots with +1,,,,,,so the car went a little leaner and was adding a pinch of fuel to compensate,,,so I just left it alone for the time being.

Went to the track and picked up 1 tenth and 1 mph after the headers.
    Personally I don't think my tune is off far enough to warrant going through 3 tanks of gas to dial it back in. And if I did redial in the LTFT's I don't think there would be enough performance difference to make me happy anyway.

The biggest difference I noticed is a 2 mpg change for the better in gas mileage. Every car is different though. Goodluck with the install and enjoy.

Red
    2001 ws6

bottom line.....u get headers....get a tune

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    bottom line.....u get headers....get a tune
    Thats why I said every car is a little different. Actually I did have to delete the rear 02's but that was because of the off road Y-pipe,,,not necessarily always the case, as cats could have been used. But as far as a tune,,,mine doesn't really need it. I don't mean to say that none of them do,,,,just that mine is close enough to not bother. According to the scanner mine barely went leaner,,,only a couple of points on the LTFT's,,,not enought to worry about right now,,,expecially considering how bad the factory tune on mine was anyway,,,,,lol.

But mine is an odd case, as I mentioned I tuned on the car before the headers were installed. Actually my factory tune when the car was stock completely sucked,,,,,with LTFT's in the +10 range and beyond. After a while on a long drive on the scanner the driver side would just lock out and turn red,,,and do nothing,,,,,it was horrible on the scanner, but you wouldn't know it the way the car ran.

After a header install though it's typical on most cars, even old stuff that is non computer,,,,that the engine will go towards the lean side, and generally you won't see any performance gains until the fuel curve is fattened up slightly to make the motor happy.

But to answer your concern,,,,it shouldn't hurt anything so long as your factory tune is decent anyway. It would be a little lean while cruising,,,but as mentioned, these cars have a pretty fat PE mode. You will eventually want to get a tune to take full advantage of them though.

Thread Information