Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Longtube Ground Clearance?

Just as anyone, I want the most power for the money. However, I have one major issue that slightly impedes, and that is the fact that my car is a daily driver. That being said, I'm looking into a longtube stainless steel header set up. I would also need a catted y pipe, due to emissions regulations. My main question and concern is about the ground clearance. Will this modification affect my ground clearance significantly, to create a problem? Does anyone have a similar situation that could lend advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You want stainless so that means you won't be buying SLP headers. That in turn means that you won't have any ground clearance problems.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If your car is lowered then i would stay away from slp, I'v personaly have pacesetter's but i know a few guys that have slp lt's and there not soo happy bc the seem too scrape everywhere i dont.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Silver
    2002 Z28

If you have a good shop put them on with ground clearance in mind, you'll be fine. I actually see more people having problems with the y-pipe clearance. I've got QTP LTs running to an x (3" piping), and I certainly have to watch what I drive up/down/over. I'd say it's worth the gains, but you're going to lose clearance, maybe a little, maybe a lot. Do a search and you'll find lots of pictures of cars with the setup you're looking for, just take note of how low their pipes are.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    If your car is lowered then i would stay away from slp,
    If your car is stock height, I would stay away from SLP.
    I scraped them several times.
    I am lowered now, not once hit my Kooks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    If you have a good shop put them on with ground clearance in mind, you'll be fine. I actually see more people having problems with the y-pipe clearance. I've got QTP LTs running to an x (3" piping), and I certainly have to watch what I drive up/down/over. I'd say it's worth the gains, but you're going to lose clearance, maybe a little, maybe a lot. Do a search and you'll find lots of pictures of cars with the setup you're looking for, just take note of how low their pipes are.
    Yeah, thats exhactly waht i was going to go w/ too, the QTP's, and that was also my concern. The clearance of the Y pipe. I also have 18 inch wheels so would that improve my situation at all?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    Yeah, thats exhactly waht i was going to go w/ too, the QTP's, and that was also my concern. The clearance of the Y pipe. I also have 18 inch wheels so would that improve my situation at all?
    I have edelbrocks and clearance is good.if not great....I may get a 2.5" custom y-pipe though..the ory that edel. has is actually almost 3 1/4" ...I cannot believe it.. still it does not hang as low as my qtec..which hits every speedbump....you have 18" wheels...should help if u don't mind the 4x4 look....... jk.
    Last edited by NHRAMAN; 07-10-2006 at 02:43 PM.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Silver
    2002 Z28

18's won't help, my car is actually lower with 18s. It all depends on the tires that go on them, and you'll have a hard time finding anything that isn't low-profile. If you haven't picked up the tires yet, Goodyear makes some special order F1s available in 295/45/18 (rear obviously), those would help a bit, but you have to realize that every bit your tires help you, the rides going up in the air, and that ain't helping the looks... Solution? Who knows... Bag it.

Thread Information