Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Longer Crank Bolt

Where do I get one so I can get the pulley on. Last time, I hammered it on, because the engine was out of the car.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

ws6 store

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Paid $6 from a fastener place.

Took a few calls, but found it locally.
    M16 x 2.0 pitch x 120mm long

Just get a correct balancer install tool. They are cheap and can be used on any engine.
    Using the crank threads to pull the balancer on is a great way to strip the end of the crank.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

Any 'true' hardware store will have one. Dont order it off the internet and pay shipping when any hardware store will have it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Any 'true' hardware store will have one. Dont order it off the internet and pay shipping when any hardware store will have it.
    This thread seems very familiar...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    This thread seems very familiar...
    hmmmm.... I guess?

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

thats what i did. you can hammer it on with the motor in the car, just get the radiator and condensor out of the way(like in a cam swap). i used a piece of metal to spread the force out evenly. i pounded on it some then tightened some and it worked its way in pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    thats what i did. you can hammer it on with the motor in the car, just get the radiator and condensor out of the way(like in a cam swap). i used a piece of metal to spread the force out evenly. i pounded on it some then tightened some and it worked its way in pretty easy.
    You wouldn't have had to go through all that work if you had a simple balancer install tool

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can make one easily. Just get some thread stock and cut it off and get 3 nuts and a stack of washers and push it on.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can make one easily. Just get some thread stock and cut it off and get 3 nuts and a stack of washers and push it on.

The install tool I have uses different threaded inserts for the crank snout, metric and standard for use on various engines.

What is great about the install tool, is you don't need alot of room. Something you don't have on a 4th gen.
    Plus with a threaded insert that isn't spinning in the crank while you are installing the balancer, you don't risk stripping the threads and ruining the crank.
    You don't want to use a simple bolt,,,that is wrenching on the threads while at the same time trying to pull the balancer, that has the potential to get ugly
    What Orion has suggested here will accomplish the exact same thing as an install tool.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Anyone want to mail me the threaded stock they used?

I spent all day today going around to different stores looking for some M16x2.0, and no one has it. Either I'm going to take the radiator out (don't want to, because then I'm wasting coolant), or wait for someone to mail me the threaded stock they used.

PS: I tried a balancer install tool and it wouldn't fit inside the crankshaft

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Anyone want to mail me the threaded stock they used?

I spent all day today going around to different stores looking for some M16x2.0, and no one has it. Either I'm going to take the radiator out (don't want to, because then I'm wasting coolant), or wait for someone to mail me the threaded stock they used.

PS: I tried a balancer install tool and it wouldn't fit inside the crankshaft
    What? Are you goingto a HARDWARE store? Thats a pretty basic bolt. If it comes down to it, Ill go dig my bolt out I used and send it to you. Or hell, Ill go buy 250 of them and come open a hardware store in your area. I cant believe a local hardware store doesnt have this. Thats a weak sauce hardware store

Do you need the bolt? Ill send it tomorrow if you really do want it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    What? Are you goingto a HARDWARE store? Thats a pretty basic bolt. If it comes down to it, Ill go dig my bolt out I used and send it to you. Or hell, Ill go buy 250 of them and come open a hardware store in your area. I cant believe a local hardware store doesnt have this. Thats a weak sauce hardware store

Do you need the bolt? Ill send it tomorrow if you really do want it
    he's looking for thread stock. I have some out in the shed I believe. PM me your address and I'll cut you off a length of it and send it to you for shipping. I have a complete tool made already with washers and bolts too if you'd rather have that but I'd want more than just shipping for that one since I'll have to go buy more washers and bolts and stuff.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Ah, I read the M16x2.0 and jumped to conclusions. My bad my bad

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I tried a balancer install tool and it wouldn't fit inside the crankshaft
    Must have been a generic install tool. Mine has various adaptors both standard and metric thread, you just change the insert. Works great.

There are install tools,,,and then there are "good" install tools.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

he's looking for thread stock. I have some out in the shed I believe. PM me your address and I'll cut you off a length of it and send it to you for shipping. I have a complete tool made already with washers and bolts too if you'd rather have that but I'd want more than just shipping for that one since I'll have to go buy more washers and bolts and stuff.
    Another name more commonly used is "All thread". All thread may work but is usually made of soft metal. Thats why it's so easy to cut. I've ripped the threads right off of it before. Could be a mess if the pulley binds. I'd just go with the tool someone else mentioned. But to each their own.
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-16-2009 at 06:50 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Another name more commonly used is "All thread". All thread may work but is usually made of soft metal. Thats why it's so easy to cut. I've ripped the threads right off of it before. Could be a mess if the pulley binds. I'd just go with the tool someone else mentioned. But to each their own.
    haven't heard of anyone jacking the threads up using thread stock...all thread or whatever you prefer to call it. I have heard of them jacking them up trying to use a bolt though.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

haven't heard of anyone jacking the threads up using thread stock...all thread or whatever you prefer to call it. I have heard of them jacking them up trying to use a bolt though.
    I was refering to the threads on the all thread, not so much the crank. But what ever works I guess.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Update...

0rion sent me some threaded stock and I bought about 30 washers and three nuts from Home Depot and attempted to put the pulley on again. I tightened the thread stock in as much as I could and then put everything on and started to tighten the nut down to push the pulley on. Well, it started going on then it seemed to stop. I kept tightening and it sounded like I was popping threads [on the crank], so I stopped. I still have about an inch to go until the pulley is all the way on. I literally soaked the pulley and crank with WD40 in an attempt to lube it up to see if that would help it go on.

Any suggestions before I go back to this today?

Thread Information