red
    99 camaro

Long tubes n factory catback???

I have a ? Im looking to build a basic bolt on car with a air lid, frost tune, hooker long tubes, tsp cat less y pipe and maybe a whiff of no2 later on. My ? is would a cat back really add horsepower or just sound at that level? I have heard that funds would be better spent on an ls6 intake first. Help me spend some money. Thanks. Car is a 99 model a4 with 3.23 gears and totally stock now. Has to be able to make 100 mile a day trip to work, and stay verry streetable.

Red
    2001 ws6

depends on what you plan on doing later with the car. if you want some more power but plan to keep it streetable then no, an exhaust wont make a HUGE difference, but it will help the flow of the long tubes. with just long tubes and an ls6 intake with a cold air intake the exhaust would only free up maybe another 5-8 RWHP or so IMO

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Installation (or not) of a catback exhaust will not impact streetability either way.

It is debatable if you get more from an LS6 intake or a catback, so you can't go wrong. But you probably want to do both in the long run. Both are great basic bolt-ons and some of the cheapest horsepower you can add.

Plus w/ a CB the sound is improved as an added bonus.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Catbacks add weight let it end at the y-pipe for a while

red
    99 camaro

I had thought of an electric cutout just for racing purposes and shut it off when I want it quiet again. I assume it would give just as much as a cat back if not more.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    I had thought of an electric cutout just for racing purposes and shut it off when I want it quiet again. I assume it would give just as much as a cat back if not more.
    It definitely would be cheaper.

red
    99 camaro

thats probably the route I will go.

I installed long tubes on both of our 4th gens and kept the stock catbacks on both.
    Ours both have the optional SLP dual/dual setup though which comes with a larger I-pipe, a better flowing muffler and 2 1/2 inch tail pipes. Basicially it is just like the other 3 inch catbacks in the aftermarket.
    But we kept it on both cars, they are relatively quiet, even without the cats, and I've found they perform as well as any other 3 inch catback on the market anyway, without all the noise. Unfortunately they are no longer made now.

It's really a matter of what type of sound you are looking for.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    do this......smartest way to go really. When I still had cats I ran the cutout open 24/7. After cats are removed it gets pretty damn loud though so I usually only open it on rare occasions or sometimes I'll ride around with it just bumped open a little bit.

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

JRENIGAR what catback do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I installed long tubes on both of our 4th gens and kept the stock catbacks on both.
    Ours both have the optional SLP dual/dual setup though which comes with a larger I-pipe, a better flowing muffler and 2 1/2 inch tail pipes. Basicially it is just like the other 3 inch catbacks in the aftermarket.
    But we kept it on both cars, they are relatively quiet, even without the cats, and I've found they perform as well as any other 3 inch catback on the market anyway, without all the noise. Unfortunately they are no longer made now.
    Yes SLP has discontinued selling the dual dual. I'm seriously in the market for a used but complete SLP dual dual catback if anyone has one up for sale now or until I find one.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2GTO View Post
    JRENIGAR what catback do you have?

Yes SLP has discontinued selling the dual dual. I'm seriously in the market for a used but complete SLP dual dual catback if anyone has one up for sale now or until I find one.

Ya, I haven't seen one in quite a while that was complete,,,or where the I-pipe hasn't been hacked in half.
    Once in a while I'll see a dual/dual muffler forsale by itself. That's half the battle.

red
    99 camaro

LS2GTO, I have the regular catback. ORION, will do. That was my plan as far as cost and hp were concerned. I just needed someone to talk me into it.

Awaiting Activation

pewter
    2002 Z28

Hi all...........can anyone tell me how much approximate horsepower would be gained by adding catted long tubes to a stock 2002 LS1 and keeping the factory catback? Thanks

Thread Information