Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2007 Z06 Corvette

Long Tube Headers

hey i overheard from someone that Long Tube headers were illegal in Massachusetts and i was curious of the legitimacy of this comment... not that it matters to me cause i just ordered my Jet Hot LT Headers with a Jet Hot ORY... but im curious if my headers will be illegal to go along with my illegal no catalyc converted car

red
    01 z28

Long tubes are made for off road use only. They are not legal in any state but some states have smog checks and some dont. Just a matter if you can get away with it or not.:beer3:

In PA if you drive less than 5000 miles a year you are exempt from emissions. Thats how I get away with it. Although I've heard that if you are running 02 simms and have no SES lights you will pass the test.
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murray01
    Long tubes are made for off road use only. They are not legal in any state but some states have smog checks and some dont. Just a matter if you can get away with it or not.:beer3:
    long tubes are also made with all the stock emissions equipment.

blackbird01
    sorry, they're illegal

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird01
    sorry, they're illegal
    thats bs. why do they even make the headers with all the stock stuff inplace then? why exactly are they ilegal? is it because of the emissions or just because the gov't is full of liberal douche bags that think no car should have over 100 hp? oh well. no checks in Ohio so i dont give a rats ass about emissions. my engine is about to be as emissions legal as a 55 box.

NBM
    98 Trans Am convertible

f*#*'em!! pretty much the same law here but if your into the hobby that much usually you can figure out a way to get around, as long as you dont live in that damned hole called california

Im going LT ORY w/o2 sims to keep the check engine light out and some old tack welded cat heatshields gets them every time hehe hopefully this will be the 3rd car the fake out job works on
    Last edited by 98TAvert; 10-10-2005 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TAvert
    f*#*'em!! pretty much the same law here but if your into the hobby that much usually you can figure out a way to get around, as long as you dont live in that damned hole called california

Im going LT ORY w/o2 sims to keep the check engine light out and some old tack welded cat heatshields gets them every time hehe hopefully this will be the 3rd car the fake out job works on
    awesome.!

lt headers are legal as long as you get the cats with the them and a legal Y pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    lt headers are legal as long as you get the cats with the them and a legal Y pipe.
    not in california.

Awaiting Activation
    Maybe in texas, but they are illegal in every state that i know. Headers become illegal when you move the cats from their factory set position. So that is why shorties are legal, because they don't move the cats from their factory location. Mid-length and long-tubes are illegal because they move the cats from their factory position.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Find a shop who will look the other way when inspection comes.....

who gives a fuck if its illegal or not. as long as your state doesnt do emissions checks, dont worry about it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

yea but nearly every state does... i might get an ory and weld up some fake heat shields like 98TAVert said
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    Maybe in texas, but they are illegal in every state that i know. Headers become illegal when you move the cats from their factory set position. So that is why shorties are legal, because they don't move the cats from their factory location. Mid-length and long-tubes are illegal because they move the cats from their factory position.
    Long tube and Mid's are ILLEGAL in Canada and the U.S. for any street car with emmissions systems.....You are correct..the second you move the cats you are altering the EMMISIONS SYSTEM...
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

I guess in TX it's the same thing. but they never said anything about it, 2 years in a row. ohh well

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Long tubes are illegal in every state. (even tho I pass emissions with em every two years)

unfortunately in TX I have to do the test every freakin' year.
    arhhhhh

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

unfortunately in TX I have to do the test every freakin' year.
    arhhhhh
    shouldn't matter, I have the last 2 years w/my SS and the guy I take it to doesn't even do a visual. he plugs into the diagnostic port, sees no codes and I pass. this past time around I had my cam and LM installed, no problems. Next August I will see if I can pass w/the LT's and ORY. He told me that as long as there are cats on the car, it's good to go. By that time, I will have a y-pipe with 'cats' fabricated up so i'm not worried about anything...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I know a guy that brought his 99 anniversary TA to the testing station on his trailor. Pulled the car off his trailor in front of all the guys there. Huge cam, LT's, no cats, full cage in the car. He said all the guys were getting teary eyed from the fumes. They plugged him in and passed him.

Thread Information