Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LID

Awaiting Activation

sunset orange
    2002 trans am ws6

LID

I am looking to order a airbox lid this weekend and wanted to get feedback from you all before i decide what to go with. I'm sure that performance wise they are all close but was wondering if one fits better than others.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

I've never had any fitment issues with slp lids on two different cars, but the clear lids look the coolest to me.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by chrissm View Post
    I am looking to order a airbox lid this weekend and wanted to get feedback from you all before i decide what to go with. I'm sure that performance wise they are all close but was wondering if one fits better than others.
    SLP fits nice, but they are all pretty much the same plastic thing. Great HP/$ ratio!

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

better than the Volant intake?

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

MUCH better than Volant

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

I have an SLP and got the smooth bellows at the same time, really like mine. Absolutely no problems with any part of it. I was talking to a guy that had the clear lid on his camaro and constantly he had problems with the clips holding the lid down poping off (uncliped)
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro98Z/28 View Post
    MUCH better than Volant
    NO NO NO, Any well designed CAI will prove more gains than a Lid, and in my opinion, i would save up a lil more and go with a full CAI kit, like volant or even K&N. I am partial to the Volant when it comes to CAI, both for the looks, gains, and engineering of the product itself.... Just look at the clamined HP of each, yea both are pry the best you could see, but if they both did that they will be decently close, a lid is about a 8-12hp and 12-15 ft/lbs of tq gain whereas volant claims 18-20 and 34-36 ft/lbs of tq so there is definately a bonus there even if those are both the "high end numbers"

But if you are going to go with a lid, they are all bout the same, but i prefer the looks of the clear ones myself.
    Last edited by suede; 01-23-2009 at 12:29 PM.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    NO NO NO, Any well designed CAI will prove more gains than a Lid, and in my opinion, i would save up a lil more and go with a full CAI kit, like volant or even K&N. I am partial to the Volant when it comes to CAI, both for the looks, gains, and engineering of the product itself.... Just look at the clamined HP of each, yea both are pry the best you could see, but if they both did that they will be decently close, a lid is about a 8-12hp and 12-15 ft/lbs of tq gain whereas volant claims 18-20 and 34-36 ft/lbs of tq so there is definately a bonus there even if those are both the "high end numbers"

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    lol I speak the truth....

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Rich67 View Post
    I have an SLP and got the smooth bellows at the same time, really like mine. Absolutely no problems with any part of it. I was talking to a guy that had the clear lid on his camaro and constantly he had problems with the clips holding the lid down poping off (uncliped)
    You gotta bend those clips to make it stay tight.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

I debaffled my stock air lid on my z. Pretty much the same thing as an aftermarket lid(meaning no baffles on inside), right?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    I debaffled my stock air lid on my z. Pretty much the same thing as an aftermarket lid(meaning no baffles on inside), right?
    kinda but not really, your still having the air "silencer" and alot of sharp corners.....

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

I still don't think anything is better than the lid if you do the true ram air mod to take air from all 4 ram air snorkels on the TA, after you hit 40+mph your intake pressure really starts to go up.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    I still don't think anything is better than the lid if you do the true ram air mod to take air from all 4 ram air snorkels on the TA, after you hit 40+mph your intake pressure really starts to go up.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

I don't get it, your response is just a pic.

imo volant will get more gains than the true ram air mod . . . i got no proof tho

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

The Volant will have more gains than a "sealed ram air with a lid" for a couple reasons--

1. the air has to make less bends to get straight
    2. the conical filters allow for a more even flow into both tubes
    3. the volant box does seal to the hood creating the same "sealed ram air" effect,
    4. the volant kit has a larger plenum to draw air from on a sudden increase in demand
    5. the plastic composite is a great heat insulator, keeping the hot engine bay heat from entering the filters or the reserve of air, keeping the intake charge cooler....

Awaiting Activation

sunset orange
    2002 trans am ws6

Well,iIhaven't been on here for a week or so but after doing some research I think i'm going with the Volant CAI. The only thing i question is their website shows 11 hp gain compared to the 15-20 hp gain i've seen people claiming. Even if this set-up only gives me 11 hp, there isn't a lid that can compare to the looks. Thanks for all the input guys.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by chrissm View Post
    Well,iIhaven't been on here for a week or so but after doing some research I think i'm going with the Volant CAI. The only thing i question is their website shows 11 hp gain compared to the 15-20 hp gain i've seen people claiming. Even if this set-up only gives me 11 hp, there isn't a lid that can compare to the looks. Thanks for all the input guys.
    I'll stand by my opinion that the Volant looks fugly as hell and the lids make for a much, much cleaner engine bay.

Red
    2001 ws6

if i did it over again id go with the volant, right now i have the SLP CAI

Thread Information