Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Leaking Exhaust (Cracked Muffler)

So, I was in lab today after researching two different symptoms, both of which may have been attributed to an exhaust leak. The first is a popping sound (backfire or misfire, I think) that only happens when I let off the gas. The other was the ticking sound that sounds like valve train noise. As it happens, I do have a leak, but it's not in the manifold or even pre-cat. The passenger side of the muffler is cracked at the weld seam.

Thinking about having it welded back together using a band to weld over the crack.

It's a Magnaflow muffler, stainless steel.

Considerations? Help is much appreciated.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

How long have you had it? It might be just as good/better to just get a new one.

Can you weld it yourself or are you taking it to a shop?

If taking it to a shop let them know it's stainless, some shops aren't set up for SS.

One more thing - popping while letting off - do you have LT headers and ORY with deleted CATS? If yes, then that is why you are getting a pop when you let off at high rpms. It's called header pop. No big deal - perfectly fine. Mine does it some times after I let off and down shift while exiting from the Interstate.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My friend is going to weld it up for me. Don't really have the cash to replace it at the moment.

As for the popping, I only have a cat-back, no LTs or ORY. All for cats are still intact. It honestly sounds pretty cool, but if it's a symptom of a problem, I want to fix it.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

The muffler provides too many problems, I suggest just wacking it out and replacing it with a straight pipe no don't do that, I'm kidding.

I agree with SMWS6TA, its a good excuse to buy a new muffler. Borlas do pretty well, as well as the SLP loudmouth series. Corsa's are a bit more higher in pitch, but nevertheless they still sound pretty sweet. As far as the popping goes, my 2002 V6 camaro did that when I was exiting the freeway and downshifted (i had straight pipes on that, plus it was an automatic downshift lol). It really isn't a big deal unless its pretty constant.

Thread Information