Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Kooks Y-Pipe Fitment Issue (Pics)

Being an F-body newbie, I'm stumped on this one and am not sure what to do. I just installed Kooks non-emissions headers and their catted Y. The install went fine, but I have Y-pipe clearance issues on the driver's side. The pipe touches the brake lines in the tunnel and is very tight (maybe 1/8" or less) from the support bracket that runs from the trans mount to the tunnel brace (lengthwise to the left of the tunnel). If I so much as wiggle the pipe it thumps against the body.

The motor mounts are stock and appear to be in good shape, no deterioration or apparent sagging. I have looked it over better than a dozen times now and can't seem to come up with a fix that does not involve a BFH or a TIG welder. I know lots of you guys are running Kooks, but my questions posted in two other threads have gone essentially unanswered. Here are a few pics to give you an idea of what it looks like:

black
    1998 trans am

can you get a far away pics with the entire setup in view.

thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    can you get a far away pics with the entire setup in view.

thanks,
    Mark

I can in the morning when I put it back up in the air. You want something from the side to see how the header is hanging?

black
    1998 trans am

yeah that and front to back.

Thanks,
    Mark

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    yeah that and front to back.

Thanks,
    Mark

Thanks Mark -- will do. The only thing I have not considered is that I have the car on a 2-post lift. I don't think the body would flex that much to cause clearance issues, but I will set it down on my blocks after taking pictures and roll under on a creeper to see if it changes anything.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pics from the front and sides:

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Wow that tucked in real good! But about the y-pipe hitting well idk, mine hits too but i have the texas speed y and pacesetters

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I set the car down on its wheels just to be sure that chassis flex was not causing an issue. There was no difference in clearance. I also tried moving everything around a bit, experimenting with how far the y-pipe slips over the collectors, and also separating the y-pipe at the joint as it is a 2 piece unit. I can gain some clearance, but this results in the joints being skewed at the collectors and I don't know what will happen when I tighten up the band clamp.

I also thought about the header itself as I had a floor jack under the outlet helping to hold it in place. I did the install by myself and needed a way to hold it up to get the bolts in. I am pretty sure I removed the jack right after I had the bolts loosely installed so I don't think it's pointing up at the back. Plus, with 6 bolts I can't imagine there would be a whole lot of play. I just don't recall though as this wasn't a concern during installation.

nbm
    99 z28

I dont have the kooks headers. pacesetter and texas speed ory here. my y pipe kicks down a bit in that spot though. the only issue I had was at the tunnel brace. had to shim the after market brace to get clearance. from the pics the kooks seem to tuck up in that area. only thing I can think of would be to flatten the pipe a bit or have a sort section fabbed up that kicks down in that spot a bit?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyz28 View Post
    I dont have the kooks headers. pacesetter and texas speed ory here. my y pipe kicks down a bit in that spot though. the only issue I had was at the tunnel brace. had to shim the after market brace to get clearance. from the pics the kooks seem to tuck up in that area. only thing I can think of would be to flatten the pipe a bit or have a sort section fabbed up that kicks down in that spot a bit?

It's looking like I may be getting the big boy tools out.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Drivers side clearance always sucks, when I put cats on I had lost more and had to bend the pipe down a little.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Do you have any mods to the trans crossmember or trans mount that might be tilting the transmission up in the rear? That could change the way the engine and headers point. I wanna buy some Kooks headers and y pipe also so I'm hoping they fit well for the price I'd be paying.
    Subscribed

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Do you have any mods to the trans crossmember or trans mount that might be tilting the transmission up in the rear? That could change the way the engine and headers point. I wanna buy some Kooks headers and y pipe also so I'm hoping they fit well for the price I'd be paying.
    Subscribed

Nothing has been changed or modified. The transmission crossmember, transmission mount, and engine mounts all appear to be original. Other than a hacked up MAF, our car was bone stock when we bought it. I am going to work on it more later today and experiment with how far the joints are slipped onto the collectors and the union on the Y.

Yesterday, I modified the clip that holds the brake and fuel lines in the tunnel to move it up higher. I also installed a heat reflective pad on the driver side as the cat sets close to the floorboards and there is no factory heat shield in that location.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

damn i wish my headers would be tucked away that nicely. mine practically drag on the floor

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Yesterday, I modified the clip that holds the brake and fuel lines in the tunnel to move it up higher.
    Ha! I was under my car today finishing up my clutch master drill mod install and was going to suggest a similar mod to that brake and fuel line clip! Good call

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Ha! I was under my car today finishing up my clutch master drill mod install and was going to suggest a similar mod to that brake and fuel line clip! Good call

Here's what I ended up doing. I ground the small tab off the bottom of the bracket and radiused it to clear the lines. I also ground away a bit off the back of the plastic clip so it would slide up higher before I drilled the new hole. The plastic is kind of thin at the top of the new hole, so I cut a piece of hose and folded it in place so there is no possibility of the bracket slipping back down if the bolt loosens up. The black hose is the new routing for my transmission vent line.

I also installed some adhesive backed heat shielding above where the driver side cat sets. There is no factory heat shield in this location and it is right under the driver footwell.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

well done, jeff!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    well done, jeff!

Thanks. Tonight I did what I now refer to as "The Jaison Mod". I hid my cruise module behind the computer. That was way too easy, but I never would have thought to try it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Any luck with the y-pipe Jeff? I just ordered Kooks 1 7/8" headers and ORY pipe and I hope they fit without too much denting.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I slid the Y back a bit off the collectors and rotated the passenger side counterclockwise (viewed from the back of the car) thereby creating a bit more space on the driver side. I need to get my mid-pipe installed to check the fit before I button it all down. Unfortunately, I didn't get much time in the garage this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information