Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bluegreen
    99 trans am

kooks headers ?s

i just got my kooks lt headers and ypipe today .. pretty excited about it ... just wondering if anyone has used the gaskets and bolts that come along with .. and whether or not they are any good?? also wondering where i might be able to get an egr block off plate for the intake mani..... ?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Stick with GM or felpro MLS gaskets and stock bolts.

I do believe thunder racing/ws6 store sells the EGR/AIR plates.

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

i just installed my kooks long tube and y pipe. i reused my old manifold gasket and it works great, no leaks, and got stage 8 bolts. the job wasnt bad, and it was my first time.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 99 ta View Post
    i just got my kooks lt headers and ypipe today .. pretty excited about it ... just wondering if anyone has used the gaskets and bolts that come along with .. and whether or not they are any good?? also wondering where i might be able to get an egr block off plate for the intake mani..... ?
    Dude, you spent a fortune on sweet Kooks headers. Spend the 25 bucks for genuine GM header gaskets and you will be happy with the results :-) I would use the bolts that came with them (I actually reused the stock ones w/ no problems).

Black
    1999 WS6

Can somone point me in the right direction, im looking for a set of stainless steel long tube headers from Kooks for my 99 T/A. They have to be perfectly legal with all the proper fittings and what not. PM me if you know of a good deal.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerWS6 View Post
    Can somone point me in the right direction, im looking for a set of stainless steel long tube headers from Kooks for my 99 T/A. They have to be perfectly legal with all the proper fittings and what not. PM me if you know of a good deal.

If you want a good deal then you should look in the classifieds. Kooks and QTP can both be stainless steel. IDK if either of them have the proper fittings for emissions. Mine came with my QTPs so i have no idea if they can come with them. Is that for the AIR system or what?

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

alot of people i talked to recommended reusng the stock gaskets,they said the ports on the gaskets were perfect and they are reusable to begin with, they are aluminum. there isnt a single leak in the header gasket. as far as bolts, long tubes tend to rattle loose the bolts, i remeber that from my camaro. as far as my exhaust ebay all the way, i got a cat back adjustable borla for $350 and kooks 1 7/8 long tubes and kooks offroad y pipe for 700$ shipped. ebay all the way!

bluegreen
    99 trans am

yea i got new gm gaskets and the egr block off from the ws6 store ... i will be installing the headers, y-pipe and new prothane motor mounts this wednesday

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 99 ta View Post
    yea i got new gm gaskets and the egr block off from the ws6 store ... i will be installing the headers, y-pipe and new prothane motor mounts this wednesday
    Good luck on the install! Please post up your experience with the motor mount install too, I'm sure I am not the only person wondering how involved that is.

bluegreen
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    Good luck on the install! Please post up your experience with the motor mount install too, I'm sure I am not the only person wondering how involved that is.
    thanks ... i will be sure to let you all know how much it sucked

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

it wasnt bad, i just did it with out removing the coils and didnt have to raise the motor.

bluegreen
    99 trans am

a little update.... today i got done work at 5, so i pulled my car in and put it on the lift.. i got everything off except the motor mounts which actually dont look that bad now that the exhaust is out. i even slid the passenger side header up to see how its gonna go and it slid right in. i did all this in a little under 2 hours since the place i work at closes at 7 .. tomorrow is my day off and i'll finishing it up.. pretty damn excited right about now

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

i have a rubbing issue on my catback and i called borla about it and they said i need to replace the motor mounts and should fix it. i think thats a bunch of crap since mine still look new, so when the new mounts and cat back go on let me know if you get rubbing issues.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    i have a rubbing issue on my catback and i called borla about it and they said i need to replace the motor mounts and should fix it. i think thats a bunch of crap since mine still look new, so when the new mounts and cat back go on let me know if you get rubbing issues.
    So you can tell they work by how they look? A brand new tire can have a broken belt inside and still look brand new. Rubber degrades etc.

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

it degrades but should it show sag and bulg out when it degrades? and if they were saging that little bit, wouldnt putting new mounts on raise the engine and then the exhaust?

bluegreen
    99 trans am

well i got it all on ... the mounts were a pain in the ass... other then that it went well... i have no rubbing issues.. i knew that if i didnt chang the mounts to solid i wouldve had some banging with the exhaust .... when under the hood with the car running with the old mounts, and quickly opening the throttle the motor moved alot, but now, the motor moves the whole car instead

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

are the solid mounts lower then the stock, and have you drove it yet? you-tube your exhaust.

bluegreen
    99 trans am

i cant really tell if they are ''lower'' .. they seem to be in the same exact position.. yes i have driven it ... if i knew how too i would youtube it

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Can you feel alot more vibration when driving with those mounts?

bluegreen
    99 trans am

i can definately feel some vibration but its not as much as i thought it was going to be... its really not bad.. i personally like it

Thread Information