Thread: Kooks headers

Hugger Orange
    1999 SS

Kooks headers

I am looking into purchasing the kooks headers.

Does anyone know what type of steel their ORY is made out of?

Which type should I get for my car? The 3/4 or the 7/8 stepped?

She only has the basic bolt-ons and a tune. I may add more in the future, and I don't want to have to make the investment again.

Rhino21149
    I think its okay steel, stainless of some sort on mine, but not really plished or long-retaining any shine. I had some Billy Boat 1 3/4" long tubes on my 02 ZO6 that I got through Lingenfelter -- they were made of a high grade stainless and just works of art in fitting, bending, etc.::my mechanic said they were the best he'd ever seen and it was a same to put them under the car where you couldn't see them. THey stayed "shin y" for a long tine -- not quite but almost like they were chromed.

By contrast, the set of Kooks I have now (1 7/8 inch long tube) are good fitting, sound headers, but the metal is just not as shiny or the welds, grinding, etc. quite as nice:: but who really cares?, they are under the car after all and they work well - they just look like crap now -- all brownish heat stained, etc. But no rust I can see.
    I switched out the orginal Billy Boat 1 3/4" to the Kooks to get 1 7/8 when I upgraded to a 427 and a SC ( Lingenfelter offered a custom set like my originals but for $2500+, seemed steep). I ordered the set with oversize cats welded in and the H-pipe, and they've been pretty good.

I would go with 1 3/4 inch unless you have some serious mods or more than 400 cubic inchs. The boost in low end torque from that diameter long tubes is remarkable and you won't sacrifice anything big at the top end.

Thread Information