Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KOOKS headers

NBM M6
    2000 SS

KOOKS headers

I am thinking of buying them. I want to know from anyone who HAS THEM ON THEIR CAR, not what you heard or your friends car. If you have them on your car, did they rust at all, how do you like them opposed to other headers. A close buddie had them on his SS but he stated they began to rust.

Cardinal Red
    1999 Trans Am

I just put them on my car, going to pick it up today. Installer told me they wouldn't rust due to them being stainless steel. I will have a video later of how they sound with my new ORY and no CATS and new Air Lid.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just installed them on our car. My understanding is that they will turn colors from the heat, but that they should not rust. The look and fit is perfect imo. If you decide to go with Kooks, I strongly recommend that you place your order through Mark with KY Speed (site sponsor).

Here's what they look like:

NBM M6
    2000 SS

the reason I am nervous about buying them is, my buddie bought them and they DID RUST!!!!!!!!! I know they are stainless but they did rust. I dont want to spend all that money and then they look like shit. I am paying for the finish so thats what I want.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Others may post up on this later -- I know 35th has Kooks on his car and he'll probably catch this thread. Painted steel headers will certainly rust over time, ceramics will last and look good for a longer period, but if the coating is scratched or gouged you will also get rust. Stainless is the way to go imo. Do you have any pics of your friend's headers? I am curious to see what is happening.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Kooks should not rust. I have them on my TA, they're still perfect. The grade of SS used in the headers should not allow rusting. You sure he had real Kooks?

They are the top of the line header.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Kooks should not rust. I have them on my TA, they're still perfect. The grade of SS used in the headers should not allow rusting. You sure he had real Kooks?

They are the top of the line header.
    +1. I've had mine only since last summer, but they still look perfect. As stated, Kooks should not rust.

There is another thread on here labeled TSP Headers...Curtis shows his SLP headers next to his Kooks laying on the floor. He had his Kooks on his car a while, and we all know the climate in which he resides (lots of snow) and his Kooks were in near perfect condition as well.

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Others may post up on this later -- I know 35th has Kooks on his car and he'll probably catch this thread. Painted steel headers will certainly rust over time, ceramics will last and look good for a longer period, but if the coating is scratched or gouged you will also get rust. Stainless is the way to go imo. Do you have any pics of your friend's headers? I am curious to see what is happening.
    I wll get the pictures and add them here. And to tell you the truth, I was told by him they were Kooks. I dont mind paying for what I get. But I am big on looking great. I want my SS to look spotless on the underneath and on the outside. There is always someone faster, but there will not be someone CLEANER!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by pewterzron View Post
    I wll get the pictures and add them here. And to tell you the truth, I was told by him they were Kooks. I dont mind paying for what I get. But I am big on looking great. I want my SS to look spotless on the underneath and on the outside. There is always someone faster, but there will not be someone CLEANER!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Have you seen pics of Preston's car? My goal is to make our car half as clean as his... I have a long way to go.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    There is another thread on here labeled TSP Headers...Curtis shows his SLP headers next to his Kooks laying on the floor. He had his Kooks on his car a while, and we all know the climate in which he resides (lots of snow) and his Kooks were in near perfect condition as well.
    Well...the Kooks hadn't been on the car yet.

But they have now been on the car for almost 5 years. No rust. I have driven in some rain (not much) but overall it is a fair weather car. It does sit outside though.
    They are rust free. Color has changed a bit because of the heat, but they are in great condition.

The SLP's in that picture were on the car for one year....and it was garaged for most of that time. RUST CITY!

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

As you can tell from my picture, my Kooks Headers turned almost a brass looking color, but they aren't rusty a bit. I'm driving my car in the winter and its seen its share of salt and sand underneath. After you wash the car they look the same, brass colored, no rust.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yea, they will darken up a bit, but they shouldn't rust.

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Yep! Kooks here for about 2yrs now w/little discolor & no rust!!!

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

hey what y pipe are you guys running with kooks headers. i was considering getting a set of kooks but need a good fitting ORY pipe. that shouldnt need to much massaging to fit and have good clearance. What are you guys using

Red
    2001 ws6

ive had the kooks on my car for only about 6 months but so far no rust.....304 which is what i believe they are made out of wont rust......after about 2-3 runs with the car the color will change but they wont rust

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Did they fit well without bending or denting anything

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    hey what y pipe are you guys running with kooks headers. i was considering getting a set of kooks but need a good fitting ORY pipe. that shouldnt need to much massaging to fit and have good clearance. What are you guys using
    im using the kooks ORY......fits perfect along with the headers......headers literally took me 1 minute to bolt in once everything was off

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    Did they fit well without bending or denting anything
    none of that is needed.....they slide right in without any problems

black
    1998 trans am

Kooks will not rust.
    I have sold alot of Kooks with out any major concerns.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by marksls1ta; 02-18-2010 at 02:10 PM.

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

To those posting that have a Kooks Y (catted or offroad) two questions: 1)What kind of clearance do you have between the top of the pipe and the underbody on the driver side? 2) Did you replace your motor mounts when you installed the headers?

Thread Information