Thread: K&n Fipk

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

K&n Fipk

I had a K&N FIPK with my 02' SS and loved it. Will it work with the Ram Air hood on the Trans Am?

I did the SLP CAI mod with the SS and along with the FIPK, it really woke the car up.
    2002 Camaro SS - SLP # 7744
    SLP SFC
    SLP Blackwing
    SLP Panhard Bar
    SLP LCA's
    SLP 85mm MAF
    SLP 160 degree stat
    SLP Y-pipe
    Diablo Tuner

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I have the k&n on my 00 T/A, it works very well. Its right behind the nostrils, so all thtat fresh air is there, its jus tnot true ram air, i have been trying to find a box for it like the volant system but cant find one. My filter screen came loose and i called K&n and then over nighted me a new carbonfiber filter, for free, great company too

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    I have the k&n on my 00 T/A, it works very well. Its right behind the nostrils, so all thtat fresh air is there, its jus tnot true ram air, i have been trying to find a box for it like the volant system but cant find one. My filter screen came loose and i called K&n and then over nighted me a new carbonfiber filter, for free, great company too
    I was very happy with the K&N FIPK setup, it was a quality piece for sure. I also did the SLP cold air induction kit and modified the K&N baseplate to accomodate it. It made a HUGE difference in the car, I swear you could feel it in the seat of your pants.

I can post some pics if you are interested.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pinky93 View Post
    I was very happy with the K&N FIPK setup, it was a quality piece for sure. I also did the SLP cold air induction kit and modified the K&N baseplate to accomodate it. It made a HUGE difference in the car, I swear you could feel it in the seat of your pants.

I can post some pics if you are interested.
    Yeah I would like to see that, thats a good idea, how long did it take to modifi, did you use a plasma cutter?

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Yeah I would like to see that, thats a good idea, how long did it take to modifi, did you use a plasma cutter?
    I just used a dremel tool and alot of patience....
    Last edited by pinky93; 12-24-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

By the way, I see your screen name has 1973 in it!! My first F-Body ever was a 1973 Firebird that I loved!!! 350 Pontiac engine with a Turbo 350 auto tranny that I tore the hell out of as a first car! I ended up putting all new GM sheetmetal on it and making a T/A clone out of it. After I got married, money was needed in other places, so I sold her for a song..... boohoo....

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

pinky what kind of hp did u gain with ur mod? boy it looks sweet!!!! could u tell the differance after u hooked it up?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pinky93 View Post
    By the way, I see your screen name has 1973 in it!! My first F-Body ever was a 1973 Firebird that I loved!!! 350 Pontiac engine with a Turbo 350 auto tranny that I tore the hell out of as a first car! I ended up putting all new GM sheetmetal on it and making a T/A clone out of it. After I got married, money was needed in other places, so I sold her for a song..... boohoo....
    Thats cool man, do you have any build specs, for it?

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris7000 View Post
    pinky what kind of hp did u gain with ur mod? boy it looks sweet!!!! could u tell the differance after u hooked it up?

I had done these mods first:

* 160 thermostat
    * K&N FIPK
    * Diablo box tune

Once I added the SLP cold air kit to this, it seemed to REALLY wake the car up. I am looking forward to doing the same thing to my T/A, but I want to dyno it stock first.....

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thats cool man, do you have any build specs, for it?
    It was just a stock Firebird, with a 350 Pontiac engine and auto trans. I put dual exhaust on it and took it to my VoTech class to repaint it. I was in High School and thought I could get a cheap paint job...... it was FULL of bondo!! I ended up buying new GM fenders, hood and quarter panels, as well as replacing the sheet metal in the trunk. I make a T/A clone out of it and loved it!!

I finally pulled the 350, with intentions of putting a built Chevy engine in it ( I know..... but it was cheap and I had NO money) , but I ended up having children and I had to sell the rolling chassis. I sold it to some guy in Spearman, Texas for like $500 or something..... I was screwed for sure!

I will look for some pictures to post for you.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thats cool man, always gotta respect the old school stuff. I meant do yu have spec for thing, measurments and whatnot. I must say I am in pressed with the workmanship. Very clean. I was thinking I would just grind the paint down and then cut it with a plasma, then repaint. how gard was the dremel to do, was it pneumatic?

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thats cool man, always gotta respect the old school stuff. I meant do yu have spec for thing, measurments and whatnot. I must say I am in pressed with the workmanship. Very clean. I was thinking I would just grind the paint down and then cut it with a plasma, then repaint. how gard was the dremel to do, was it pneumatic?
    Dremel was electric, I just used the cutoff wheels. You can draw it out to fit and then cut it. If you are careful, it will come out very nice and not even disturb the black finish on the FIPK base.

just a picture of a Top Alcohol Dragster that I crewed for....
    Last edited by pinky93; 12-24-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

ok sounds good, ....how long did you crew for? Have you ever driven one of those top Alc. drags, thats gotta be bad ass.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

ok sounds good, ....how long did you crew for? Have you ever driven one of those top Alc. drags, thats gotta be bad ass.
    I never got to drive it, I just had half the engine between rounds and during teardown and at the line we alternated pulling chute pin, cleaning tires and backing up the car after the burnout.

It was awesome as hell..... we bought the engine from Allan Johnson (Tony Schumachers Crew Chief now - Top Fuel Dragster )
    It was insane. We would get off of work on a Thursday and drive all night to get to wherever we raced. Race all weekend and drive home sometime on Sunday.

You want to talk about a rush, it was always on the edge! We lived in Southwest Kansas and traveled to Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, even Mexico!

Thread Information