Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

K & N filter myths

I went to Doug Rippie Motorsports recently to have my trick LS6 tuned on the dyno. Doug asked me if I wouldn't like to put a K & N filter in for a few more HP. I said "I'll buy it if you can show me on the dyno that it improves HP by at least 2 HP". So...with a baseline of 434 RWHP, we installed the K & N filter...did another dyno pull to see the improvement and wallah....A 2 HP DROP! I pulled the filter out of the car and slammed it right back in the box and said "I appreciate the effort...but it apparently flows less than my Fram cheap ass filter". We made a few more pulls and HP was back up 2 HP with the Fram. Lesson: Don't believe everything you hear.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've known this for a long time, even argued with people on this site about it. Not to mention it lets dirtier air in your engine and is too much $$.

Black
    98 Z-28

Your paper element filter will flow even better yet if you poke holes in it with a screwdriver.....an ice-pick is my prefered tool for airfilter modifications.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Your paper element filter will flow even better yet if you poke holes in it with a screwdriver.....an ice-pick is my prefered tool for airfilter modifications.
    Why not just go with no air filter at all?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Dyno's are not near that accurate fella's...too many variables...if you think a dyno is exact every pull your crazy as hell.....you could have done absolutely nothing and the dyno would have been off +/- 2-5%....
    And for the record I'm neither for or against KN. I do believe you need a higher flowing product with mods.....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I know about how dyno's work, but K&N has never showed any kind of gain on dyno or track.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Additonal flow= RWHP. You agree or disagree?
    And by the way...I use either AEM dryflow or Amsoil EeAu filters....
    But the original post was a summary dismissal of K&N based on a back to back dyno run with loads of variables that were not even mentioned. Any dyno operator can change temps/pressure lots of things....any consideration to a dyno calibration? Those things constantly calibrate themselves....they are never accurate....
    My point is....If you dont want to use a KN...fine by me....but dont dismiss any claims they may have or try and influence folks based on some hear say dyno test with no data to review.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Additonal flow= RWHP. You agree or disagree?
    And by the way...I use either AEM dryflow or Amsoil EeAu filters....
    But the original post was a summary dismissal of K&N based on a back to back dyno run with loads of variables that were not even mentioned. Any dyno operator can change temps/pressure lots of things....any consideration to a dyno calibration? Those things constantly calibrate themselves....they are never accurate....
    My point is....If you dont want to use a KN...fine by me....but dont dismiss any claims they may have or try and influence folks based on some hear say dyno test with no data to review.

Agreed.

Not to mention, I read more than 1 run made without the K&N rather than just one with the K&N.

Did the K&N get another run or two?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i'm no expert...but when you are strapped into a dyno...your not moving against wind..so from a standstill...i'm sure any filter can let enough air through...but going 60 to 150...where the air could start to get bottle-necked. the K&N would shine. So a dyno really won't show any benifits from a filter. nor will 2hp or 5hp really show up in drags. but i bet if you get 2 cars that dyno the same..and give one a k&N and let them go straight for 1 mile...you'll see the k&n start to show a diff. but hey this is what i've always thought..not sure if its true but it makes sense to me

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    I suppose my tires will perform better if I attack them with an ice pick as well. I'm glad I don't have you working on my car!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

I know this much. I bought my KN Filter for $30 used, and I cleaned it and recharged it at least 15 times during my usage of it, before I resold it for $35 shipped. Sooooo instead of replacing my filter with a Fram or whatever for $$$ everytime I needed changing, I just recharged my KN for a few bucks and made a profit when I resold it. Plus I NEVER had dirt on my MAF screen. To each his own, if you are looking to gain hp from changing your filter than there is something wrong with you.

red
    1998 trans am

Cost was a bigger issue for me... I hated paying $15ish for new paper filters so I plunked down $50 for the K&N. 120,000 miles later I figure it's saved me at least $100 in filters. The big trick is to not go nuts when cleaning it because many people put on too much oil, and then your intake and everything in there gets a nice coating of pink oil. I haven't noticed any dirt either, however I did notice an increase in intake noise which leads me to believe that it may be a tad better breathing than the original. No numbers to back that up and frankly I don't care about 1-2 hp either way since the only racing I do is autox in stock class, but it I definately hear more intake noise with the K&N than with a regular paper filter.

Black
    98 Z-28

Although a free flowing air filter may not be very noticable on a powerful V-8....the addition of a K&N filter on my YZ 80 was very noticable...and the velosity stack/K&N combo that I installed on my '72 Buick Skylark that I abused all through the 80's made a very noticable improvement.....I also purchase "reusable" filters for the cost savings in the long run since I tend to keep whatever I buy for many, many years....K&N and all the clones are the cats' meow as far as I'm concerned.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

who ever is 'poking' holes in there airfilter is not very intelligent.

Black
    98 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    who ever is 'poking' holes in there airfilter is not very intelligent.
    Don't take life so seriously...I was just doing a little leg pullin'.

red
    98 M6 Z28

I used a wife beater as an air filter on my Honda civic for a few years with my custom vacuum cleaner tube ram air setup. Flowed great evene faster than with an AEM. Probably not a good idea on an LS1 though lol.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

It's been proven in air filter tests that it lets dirtier air in your engine. You can buy about 8 paper filters for the price of one K&N filter + cleaning kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    I know this much. I bought my KN Filter for $30 used, and I cleaned it and recharged it at least 15 times during my usage of it, before I resold it for $35 shipped. Sooooo instead of replacing my filter with a Fram or whatever for $$$ everytime I needed changing, I just recharged my KN for a few bucks and made a profit when I resold it. Plus I NEVER had dirt on my MAF screen. To each his own, if you are looking to gain hp from changing your filter than there is something wrong with you.
    True Story.

Ive never had a problem with any cotton filters with flow, dirt, or spending the money..
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    True Story.

Ive never had a problem with any cotton filters with flow, dirt, or spending the money..
    You may not "think" you have a problem with dirt but an oil analysis would prolly prove otherwise. Patman has proven this I believe.

Eh, well until it does, I wont fear my cotton filter.

If I really wanted to fear numbers, I woulda sold my bike a long time ago cuz of the fact that its dangerous!

Thread Information