Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Intake/TB Question...

I just put on a Weiand aluminum intake and the stock (P&P) throttle body is to small for it, there's a vacuum leak coming from it. I looked online and it says that it supports the stock LS1/LS6 throttle bodies. Well, I guess my question is are there any differences in LS1 throttle bodies throughout 98-02? Has this happened to anyone else?

P.S. It also says in the intake manual to add ultra blue permatex to the gaskets before dropping the intake on... (Who the hell does that?!?!)

White
    1998 Trans Am

Check the hoses on the rear of the intake ? I didn't use permatex on mine... Also,check the injector O-rings... Oil them before installing to help them slide in.
    The TB should fit with no problems...

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Check the hoses on the rear of the intake ? I didn't use permatex on mine... Also,check the injector O-rings... Oil them before installing to help them slide in.
    The TB should fit with no problems...
    Hoses on the rear are fine, used a smoke machine and also sprayed everything down w/ brake cleaner...nothing. I put vasoline on the o-rings on day 1. I'm thinkin that maybe, just maybe the intake needs to be re-surfaced where it hooks upto the TB... but just incase it doesnt, I ordered a 80mm TB to cancel it out from being the problem.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Was the plate under the intake pre-installed ? Hopefully, that's OK...
    I have the 80mm BBK TB on mine, nice combo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    I'm thinkin that maybe, just maybe the intake needs to be re-surfaced where it hooks upto the TB....
    I would also have it resurfaced, both sides, where it meets the heads. The problem with used intakes, unfortunately, is that you never know what they've been through....

BTW, nice kill on that '07 Eclipse...!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Was the plate under the intake pre-installed ? Hopefully, that's OK...
    I have the 80mm BBK TB on mine, nice combo !!!
    It was preinstalled, but I took it off, put a new gasket on, and torqued it to spec. I honestly tried not to overlook anything since the swap was a PITA to begin w/... I'm going for a polished "Professional Products" tb. Can't beat it for $200.00 brand new!

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    I would also have it resurfaced, both sides, where it meets the heads. The problem with used intakes, unfortunately, is that you never know what they've been through....
    BTW, nice kill on that '07 Eclipse...!
    Well, they messed w/ the throttle body & determined that, and only that was the cause of the noise. Thank god they didn't bang me for takin the intake back off. That Eclipse was actually faster than I thought, I saw an exhaust, but I wonder whatelse he's hiding. BTW... If you ate that burger, I woulda posted another kill story! LMAO!

Well, they messed w/ the throttle body & determined that, and only that was the cause of the noise. Thank god they didn't bang me for takin the intake back off. That Eclipse was actually faster than I thought, I saw an exhaust, but I wonder whatelse he's hiding. BTW, If you ate that burger, I woulda posted another kill story! LMAO!
    Hopefully they resolve the matter quickly, and definitely follow up when all their work is done. That burger looked nasty, and appeared to be smiling back at me lol. That waitress thing was funny bro, woke up the next morning like WTF was I thinking LMAO....

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Hopefully they resolve the matter quickly, and definitely follow up when all their work is done. That burger looked nasty, and appeared to be smiling back at me lol. That waitress thing was funny bro, woke up the next morning like WTF was I thinking LMAO....
    Yea, the waitress thing was funny, but not as funny as the guy tryin to fight everyone and fell right on his face as he was leaving. Dave just looked at my car, he said it's the idle air motor on the top of the throttle body. He said it either needs to be cleaned cause it might not be seating well or I just need a new throttle body. I'm gonna try to find a tb to swap it out w/ just for some trial and error...

Yea, the waitress thing was funny, but not as funny as the guy tryin to fight everyone and fell right on his face as he was leaving. Dave just looked at my car, he said it's the idle air motor on the top of the throttle body. He said it either needs to be cleaned cause it might not be seating well or I just need a new throttle body. I'm gonna try to find a tb to swap it out w/ just for some trial and error...
    A dirty IAC doesn't justify a whole new throttle body (remember, it worked fine with the other intake manifold). Take the IAC out, and clean the carbon out thoroughly with a toothbrush, in fact, clean the entire throttle body with some solvent while your at it. It might be where the throttle body meets the intake manifold, you'll need to have the intake's neck re-surfaced. Could possibly be apart of a bad batch from BBK. Did you re-use the stock gasket when you installed the used aluminum manifold w/your throttle body....?

About Tony's Eclipse, it's his power to weight ratio, along with the factory gearing, which allowed him to stay with you. That 3.8 engine is definitely no slouch, and can rev to the moon from the factory (263 @ the crank). It's his GSX which you now have to watch out for. Gonna have it trailored to my house so my cousin can look at it, and once it's back on the road, he'll probably pull my LS1 very easily ....

Gonna have some fun with my '91 Formula over @ Raceway Park on Friday night, and we're headed out to Route 37. Finally got my cousin wanting to go, especially after raving about Tom's EVO. Thing sounded sweet as hell, but both he and his girl looked a little trashed though lol....

Happy 4th bro!!!!!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

It's his GSX which you now have to watch out for. Gonna have it trailored to my house so my cousin can look at it, and once it's back on the road, he'll probably pull my LS1 very easily ....
    Yea, I told Dave my friend has a stock turbo from a 1st gen Talon he's selling for $100.00 for the GSX.
    Have a great 4th man!

Yea, I told Dave my friend has a stock turbo from a 1st gen Talon he's selling for $100.00 for the GSX...
    Nawhh, Tony's going with a bigger turbo over stock. Spoke to a few DSM'ers, and they gave us some sweet ideas for some turbo selections. I might even sell him one of mine, cuz I'm contemplating throwing a single turbo charger on my LS1....

= no drinking for me tonight.....

Enjoy!

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Did you re-use the stock gasket when you installed the used aluminum manifold w/your throttle body....?
    All new gaskets on everything since I switched from a plastic to aluminum manifold I had to use a different type of gasket. The o-ring style gaskets I just left on the plastic LS1 manifold when I took it off.

blue
    89 Camaro RS

dont forget the fact that the tb u have somone drilled an idle hole in the blade.though we eliminated that as a noise issue by temporarily plugging up the hole with the motor idling

black, and black
    04 M6

door mat

dam i wish i was a door mat

Thread Information