Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Intake Manifold Brands

ok guys im having trouble deciding on what intake manifold i wanna get for my 99 trans am. the brands that i am looking at are bbk, slp, or weiand. im also putting a lid and a bigger tb on it maybe a 85mm.

i have slp lt headers, ory, cut out, flowmaster cb, free ram air mod, no egr, and a tune.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

i want the FAST 92 with their 92tb
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

None

Not a Pro here, but I was told the Fast LsX rocks for my ride.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

IMO, the only two options would be the LS6 or the FAST 90mm OR 92mm. In your case, I would pick up an LS6. The FAST is pretty expensive. As of right now it is top of the line intake no doubt. Some magical day in fairy tale land the Street Warrior intake will come out, then there will be some options up and above the LS6. FAST will see bigger gains when you pair it up with a decent/nice pair of ported heads, then a cam. I would spend my money on the FAST IF I was you right now. LS6 will do you good.

I do love my FAST 92mm with the PTM 92mm tb though!
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

White
    1998 Trans Am

In 06, The LS2 came out with a factory 90mm intake on the GTO. Anyone know how they flow compared to the FAST 90mm ???

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    In 06, The LS2 came out with a factory 90mm intake on the GTO. Anyone know how they flow compared to the FAST 90mm ???
    I dont believe they compared.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I dont believe they compared.
    I got a good deal on one, so I will have it flow tested... I have a wein 80mm intake now that is all ready ported also. Just have to open the inlet to 90mm

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I'm not going to try and bash the FAST92 by any means its a great intake and it does get good power but for the price there are FAR better mods out there for the money. The LS6 intake is MORE then sufficient for just about any build that isn't FI or bigger cubes. However, if you're doing heads/cam and you don't mind spending the big time $$$ on it then it will net you a few more hp... other then that LS6 is your friend...

A FAST92 certainly isn't necessary after heads/cam just helpful... I'm not saying anyone said otherwise I'm just stating my .02$

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I got a good deal on one, so I will have it flow tested... I have a wein 80mm intake now that is all ready ported also. Just have to open the inlet to 90mm
    when you get that thing I guess we will have to pop my intake off and do a side by side comparo to see and measure size differences

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

LS6 it is then, ill put an 80mm tb, not unless yall have any objections

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    LS6 it is then, ill put an 80mm tb, not unless yall have any objections
    brand new from GM sorry I don't have the part number, the 06 ls2 manifold retails for $412, 90mm throat, and you can bolt a nice big aftermarket tb on to it.

when Bill gets his we can compare the ls2 manifold to my ls6 for everything else

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

From what I've read LS2 intakes flow worse than a LS1 intake...Even the truck intakes flow better. LS6>LS2

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

FAST

I've got a FAST, its a 90/90 setup. They don't even make the 90 anymore, if you want a FAST its going to be either a 78 or 92.

The decision of which manifold to get would depend on how far you're going with your mods. If you are only going for a few bolt ons, honestly get the ls6 manifold, or 78 mm FAST. The 78 will give slightly more power but it costs twice as much as the ls6 and the gains will be minimal.

I would only get the 92 if you plan on heads and cam or a stroker in the future, otherwise you really don't need the extra plenum volume. Don't get the 92 for a bolt on motor.

I know, I have a 90 on a bolt on motor, but that's cause I'm going the head and cam route so I'll need the volume.

One great thing about the FAST manifold is that the lower plenum is the same for the 78 as the 92, so if you choose you may latter purchase a 92 upper plenum and convert your 78 to a 92. The FAST manifolds also have available burst panels that can be added to protect the manifold from excessive boost or nitrous backfire. ZEX makes a direct port nitrous kit specifically for this manifold, the manifold comes marked with pre-marked ports to be drilled for nitrous nozzles. This manifold will also keep underhood temps down compared to metal manifolds.

Now for the bad part. It's expensive as hell. From what I've heard, the manifold does not handle boost pressures well, as much as 10 psi can split the plenum gaskets, they work awesome in N/A motors though. I haven't had that experience myself, I don't have a blower or turbo, but that's what I've been told by people who put boost to the manifold.

Just some advice from my experience, if you go the 92 mm route on a bolt on motor you will probably have a hard time adjusting the idle, the throttle is only intended for 400+ cubic inch after all. It's difficult to adjust and get just right but it's possible, and don't tighten the blade to much, I did and had bad throttle stick, had to readjust and loosen the blade latter on.

Sorry for the long post, anyway good luck with your build.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    From what I've read LS2 intakes flow worse than a LS1 intake...Even the truck intakes flow better. LS6>LS2
    they are a 3 piece intake with the 3 pieces vibration welded together. supposedly they had problems ir leaks too, but from what I've read about them you can knock them apart, port and reseal them....how much you can port and flow them I'm not sure but I guess we will see....if we can get the ls2 to flow better with alittle work for half the price of a fast a think it would be worth it.
    off topic, did you get your streering colum fixed ok?

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Keep your stock tb and get it ported it'all be just as good as the 80mm
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    they are a 3 piece intake with the 3 pieces vibration welded together. supposedly they had problems ir leaks too, but from what I've read about them you can knock them apart, port and reseal them....how much you can port and flow them I'm not sure but I guess we will see....if we can get the ls2 to flow better with alittle work for half the price of a fast a think it would be worth it.
    off topic, did you get your streering colum fixed ok?
    Thats not a bad idea. Let me know how that goes.

Nah, didn't get the chance to do it yet.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

I was just thinking, you might want to get a re-tune with the new manifold and TB.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

i know im gonna haveto get a retune done. what size is the opening on thels6 again?

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

ok so the ls6 manifold has a 90mm throat, i really dont have any more mods after the intake, except gears. so what size tb should i get???

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmFanatic View Post
    ok so the ls6 manifold has a 90mm throat, i really dont have any more mods after the intake, except gears. so what size tb should i get???
    the ls6 is just a 78mm, but ive heard 80mm also so im not sure which but its one of them.
    the ls2 is a 90mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information