Installed Alternator Now Battery Sparks

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and in need of some help. I pulled my alternator a few weeks back to have it tested and it failed. I ordered a 160 watt alternator and installed it today. I bought the car used and the previous owner relocated the battery to the rear of the car. The cable that runs to the starter is connected to the alternator with the bolt on the top of the alternator on the drivers side - is this right? Also, I got everything installed, but I couldn't remember what connected to the 13 mm bolt in the rear of the alternator (near the bottom).

I have a cable (same gauge as the cable running to the starter) running from the fuse box that wasn't connected to anything, I couldn't remember if that connected to the 13mm bolt, so I connected it there. When I tried to connect the battery I got massive sparks. I then disconnected it from the 13 mm bolt and tried grounding it to the block. But I still got sparks when I tried to connect the battery.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

It will spark slightly when you initially hook it up. But if your seeing huge sparks, then there's some that could be wrong.

Are the existing wires colored?

Is your battery discharging when you hook it up?

Can you post some pics of which wire your trying to ground/hook up?

For some reason I can't just attach an image on this site, but I've also posted my question here with pics at LS1tech:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...l#post15112578

Someone suggested that the fuse and starter cable attach at the same point on the alternator.

I saw huge sparks when I tried to hook up the positive cable. So, as of the install I haven't been able to hook up the battery. The blue cable from the fuse is currently grounded on the engine block, the black starter cable is connected to the upper driver side mounting point on the alternator. See pics. Thanks again!

several people have suggested that the fuse and starter wire get mounted on the bolt at the lower middle back of the alternator. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

well, i connected the starter and fuse wires to the stud at the back of the alternator and when I attached the battery there were no sparks, but when i tried starting the car i got one click, the radio and instrument panel worked, but the car didn't start. The battery was charged just before and had around 13 volts when I tried to start the car. I changed the starter just before I changed the alternator and it started fine, so i'm pretty sure my issue is still with the alternator. any thoughts?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I looked at the pic that you have for the starter cable at the alternator and it looks to me that the cable is connected to the alternator chassis? thats the problem. You connected the alternator to ground.

I will suggest to get a distribution block and attach the starter, alternator and fuse box wires to it. then run one line to the battery.

here is a pic of a distribution block:

They come with fuse or non fuse versions.

Pewter
    1999 LS1 Transam

Im having a similar problem with my car. Any ideas on why my alternator willnot charge my battery? Ive been to three shops my back is against the wall, Ive replaced the car with a brand new computer, alternator, and battery yet my car will not charge!!! Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Vettekiller24 View Post
    Im having a similar problem with my car. Any ideas on why my alternator willnot charge my battery? Ive been to three shops my back is against the wall, Ive replaced the car with a brand new computer, alternator, and battery yet my car will not charge!!! Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated
    I've replied in your thread.

Thread Information