black
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i'm lost with this!

Alrighty I'm new to this forum and new to owning a 2000 Z28 Camaro. It was totally stock when I bought it so I changed out the mufflers to flowmasters because I was told that they are the loudest and the only option for a camaro. I also got a bigger pipe that leads to the muffler and I changed the tips. After all of this the sound is very soft and I am lost and I don't know what to do next. I have been told by everyone in my town that my only options are headers but I couldn't get any that are legal. I am also trying to keep from spending that much money.
    I'm also interested to know what kinds of horsepower mods I could do.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

There are alot of options for exhaust for the LS1. Flowmaster isn't one of the loudest ones.

You could always add an electric cut-out.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by rayvendawn
    Alrighty I'm new to this forum and new to owning a 2000 Z28 Camaro. It was totally stock when I bought it so I changed out the mufflers to flowmasters because I was told that they are the loudest and the only option for a camaro. I also got a bigger pipe that leads to the muffler and I changed the tips. After all of this the sound is very soft and I am lost and I don't know what to do next. I have been told by everyone in my town that my only options are headers but I couldn't get any that are legal. I am also trying to keep from spending that much money.
    I'm also interested to know what kinds of horsepower mods I could do.
    By any chance was it a muffler shop that told you the flowmaster was the loudest and only option for a camaro? The flowmaster AKA chokemaster is the absolute worst flowing muffler you can buy for our cars! They're BARELY even better than stock. There are many mufflers out there that flow over twice what the flowmasters do. If you want a better sound, there are several other GOOD flowing mufflers that sound nice. GMMG, Magnaflow, LM II, Hooker, SLP DD, etc.

black
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It was a muffler shop but they did sell magnaflows and I asked about them but they told me that they were really quiet.
    It's just really hard to get anything done to my car because no one around here knows anything about them. I live in Arlington,Tx btw and it's mostly a mustang town. I don't know where to go.

99 Firebird Formula

Magnaflow is a nice, quality sounding exhaust. It is not obnoxious.

If you want something loud and unforgiving go with the SLP loudmouth, it lives up to its name. On top of that you can add a cutout which vents the exhaust before the muffler, so it's basically unrestricted sound.

black
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I don't understand why they would tell me to go with flowmasters then if they sold both. Guess my search is on to find someone that will sell them to me.

99 Firebird Formula

They probably make more money off of it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

SLP also has the LM II...supposed to be a little quieter with a deep tone. GMMG($800) and stainless works($850) chambered exhaust are the best and are a good sounding loud IMO but are very expensive.

I have magnaflows and love'em...yes at idle it is on the quiet side, but when i'm rippin the pavement you can hear me coming. I do a lot of highway driving and there's no drone at all..which is good because the Z is my DD. Welcome to the board

4 cyl colorado

I have the Hooker catback. It sound almost stock idling but wakes up when you stand on it. I subsequently added LT headers which made it noticably louder. Still not obnoxious.
    '73 Plain Jane Camaro, Gen III, T56
    '02 WS6, M6
    All gone but not forgotten

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

Hey Man I Live 10 Minutes South Of Fort Worth I Know A Ton Of Good Shops To Go To Around The Metroplex. I Have A Cut Out On My 99 Ta And If You Want I Could Meet Up With You Some Time And You Could Hear What My Car Sounds Like. Also Me And A Bunch Of Guys Usually Meet Up And Go To Kennedale And Your More Than Welcome To Come. But Exhaust Wise I Like The Slp Loudmouth Or A Cut Out.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Hooker Cat Back is the most underrate catback, great sound and cheap price.... gets my vote.. Personally I like the sound of an electric cutout winding open

White
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by woodymaro
    Hey Man I Live 10 Minutes South Of Fort Worth I Know A Ton Of Good Shops To Go To Around The Metroplex. I Have A Cut Out On My 99 Ta And If You Want I Could Meet Up With You Some Time And You Could Hear What My Car Sounds Like. Also Me And A Bunch Of Guys Usually Meet Up And Go To Kennedale And Your More Than Welcome To Come. But Exhaust Wise I Like The Slp Loudmouth Or A Cut Out.
    When do yall go to kennedale because i live in fort worth and it would be nice to have some fellow Ta owners to hang out with and talk to. I have an electrical cut out on my car and i love it but im looking in to getting some headers.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom
    Hooker Cat Back is the most underrate catback, great sound and cheap price.... gets my vote.. Personally I like the sound of an electric cutout winding open

i have the hooker with long tubes, its loud but not to loud and has a deep tone.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

I like Borla and B&B

red
    2001 ws6 trans am a4

I have the bolra on 01 ws6 its really worth the money and was easy to put on. It sounds good at idle and sounds great at WOT. Im curoius as to how its going to sound with pacesetter lt's & TSP y w/cats.

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBeast08
    When do yall go to kennedale because i live in fort worth and it would be nice to have some fellow Ta owners to hang out with and talk to. I have an electrical cut out on my car and i love it but im looking in to getting some headers.
    We went to kennedale Thursday night, I went with my roomate (currently in between a LS1) and my other buddy who has an 01 Z06 w/LT and a tune. I only ran 4 times. The best run in my car was 8.70 @ 83.72 60' 2.07. One of my other buddies was up there and I didn't know until he won the elimination rounds. He was driving a white Z28 with an SS hood. But next we go I'll PM you or something.

Thread Information