Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

Ignorance about headers

I am considering doing headers on my 02 ws6 Auto. I already have a custom fabriacted catback that is connected to the stock y pipe.

If i would like to use long tube headers, will I have to have a use new y pipe for fitment or can i just cut the stock y pipe short? What other things should I look for and consider before puchasing?

white
    2001 Z28

If you are going to spend the money on headers i would definitely do a after market y pipe. Why give the engine the ability to breath and than choke it down at the stock y pipe IMO. Also look for a set of headers that fit well. I know some have had issues with certain brands. I went with kooks. The fitment was great and i have not had one issue with them
    2001 Camaro Z28 - AFR210 V2 Heads, JPH Cam, Fast 102mm intake, TS 100mm MAF, NW 102 TB, FTP 104mm lid, kooks 1 3/4 Long tubes, custom Y pipe w/dump, BMR LCA,TQ. Arm,PH bar, lca bracket,k member, Upper/Lower A arms, AFCO shocks
    11.20@120MPH
    459 RWHP and 410 RWTQ

2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

The OEM y pipe is very restrictive and honestly not worth saving. If you did cut it down you will be chocking the exhaust gains from the LT's by putting it through that straw size OEM y pipe.

As far as what to look for -

Headers - many brands with many different opinions. GMMC, BBK, Kooks are some of the top end brands, while Hooker, Pacesetters, and EBay headers are very affordable and have good reps. Almost everyone will agree that SLP headers suck (clearance issues) I don't know how good Texas Speed & Performance headers are.

ORY - almost all of the above brands I listed in the headers make an Ory for our cars. I've heard good things about Hooker, TS&P and Pacesetter used to have issues with their ORY's but I think they have been resolved.

All the LT's flow pretty much the same and give about the same gains. However not all sound a like.

Now what you need to know:

Header Type - Stainless Steel > Ceramic Coated > Painted Headers (in fact I would never recommend painted headers, it burns off and rust out with in 6 months)

LT > mid > shorties - LT's are the best for HP gains, flow and sound, the other two are for Communist states like Cali & NY for emissions.

CAT vs No CATs - If your state does a visual you can get ORY's with a CAT that is part of the system or get a CAT back muffler.

Tune - You need to get one for the best gains and kill the SES light that comes on after you get LT's. You can still drive around without a tune but your PCM will run the fuel rich until the rear O2's are deleted. I did so for about 8 months. For a great tune check with FROST, he is a member and a resident tuner on here. I and many others have gotten a frost tune. For a mail order tune you can't get any better.

Muffler - this is were your taste come in. Flowmasters - raspy at high rpms, Magnaflow - below 2500 rpm @ idle nice smooth rumble. Above it and it opens up and growls, SLP LM1's - if you hate your neighbors this is what to get - as close to a cut out without opening one.

I'd recommend doing a search on youtube and type LS1 and what ever muffler you want to hear and you'll find many videos.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

And the y pipe is the cheapest part of an exhaust system.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here is a sticky about headers and exhaust...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/best-h...ips-etc-69090/

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

^ +1...good post.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

From what i've heard from various people, buying shorty headers is a complete waste of money. Definitely buy mid or longtubes if you want the best bang for your buck. And yes buying a Y pipe with high flow cats for it would definitely be best suited for the LT's IF you have emissions testing in your area. If not, buy a new off-road Y pipe

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I agree with all above with one exception. I ran no tune with my headers 3.5 years and all was good except for the SES light. I was hoping it would eventually burn out, but hey, everything's better nowadays. Fuel mileage went up almost 2 MPG highway. I finally did get a Frost tune, now the light is out. He has a great reputation.

We could take a short road trip this Sunday, meet halfway between the Fort and Speedway, if you wanna see my setup. Supposed to be cold, but ''abundant sunshine''.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I agree with all above with one exception. I ran no tune with my headers 3.5 years and all was good except for the SES light. I was hoping it would eventually burn out, but hey, everything's better nowadays. Fuel mileage went up almost 2 MPG highway. I finally did get a Frost tune, now the light is out. He has a great reputation.

We could take a short road trip this Sunday, meet halfway between the Fort and Speedway, if you wanna see my setup. Supposed to be cold, but ''abundant sunshine''.
    There is an autocross at the colombus airport feb 26th. I will probably be staying in indy that saturday if the weather is above 45ish and not pouring. maybe then? If your interested in trying autocross you should come out. its $30 a driver, 2 drivers allowed per car.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Jknerr View Post
    There is an autocross at the colombus airport feb 26th. I will probably be staying in indy that saturday if the weather is above 45ish and not pouring. maybe then? If your interested in trying autocross you should come out. its $30 a driver, 2 drivers allowed per car.

Wow. An Autocross on a cold day. Maybe I should put on the Blizzacks for enhanced traction lol. I have done some in the past, it's a lot of fun.

That weekend, tho, we will be at the Spring Mill Inn, located in Spring Mill State Park, located south of Bloomington.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

get the y-pipe and save your self the time of cutting to old one and having to get one later. as for headers and y-pipes i run the texas speed lt's and y and love them and they fit nice a tight to the bottom of the car.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^seems like most everyone likes how their LTs fit, except for SLP lol. I wonder if they ever fixed that design.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

Well than kall of you for your input. I guess need to quit being a cheap bitch and through out some $$$

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Upgrading the complete exhaust system on our cars is not cheap if you go with stainless. Although I really like the Kooks/Magnaflow setup that I am running, it is the DMH cutout that takes the system over the top. Y-pipe fitment can be an issue in the area adjacent to the driver side underbody brace. I really spent some time tweaking my system to ensure there would be no contact. I did have to modify the fuel and brake line routing in the tunnel in order to gain clearance over the Y-pipe. The lines were moved up higher in the clip and then utilized zip ties to pull them up a bit more. I also wrapped the lines in this area with DEI heat reflective tape.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Upgrading the complete exhaust system on our cars is not cheap if you go with stainless. Although I really like the Kooks/Magnaflow setup that I am running, it is the DMH cutout that takes the system over the top. Y-pipe fitment can be an issue in the area adjacent to the driver side underbody brace. I really spent some time tweaking my system to ensure there would be no contact. I did have to modify the fuel and brake line routing in the tunnel in order to gain clearance over the Y-pipe. The lines were moved up higher in the clip and then utilized zip ties to pull them up a bit more. I also wrapped the lines in this area with DEI heat reflective tape.

Is yours a single cutout, or do you have 2 in the ORY before the I-pipe?

And I tweaked the ORY also, to get rid of some rattles under accel. It's been all quiet now for years!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Single cutout in the mid-pipe:

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Hey jordan, you going to IPFW sunday?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast:2748288
    And I tweaked the ORY also, to get rid of some rattles under accel. It's been all quiet now for years!
    Same here!
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Definitely take out the old y-pipe. As far as headers go, I have Texas Speed 1 7/8' Long tubes and their y-pipe. I like them and they are good headers. But getting them in was an ordeal. I obviously had to put the car on jack stands, but I had to raise the jack stands as high as they would go. Plus, I had to raise the engine as high as it would go. I also had to disconnect the lower steering shaft. One of the good things about the Texas Speed headers is that they are priced pretty good.

Thread Information