Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

idle dips big time..threw a belt a week ago too..

last thursday, i was getting home and i turned into my apartments. my power steering went out and the lights dimmed..my guess, i threw a belt. well i did. I replaced the idler pulley and the belt since the belt was eaten up. well i thought it was just when my maf was plugged in( i normally run in sd) that my idle dips. well it started happening in SD too. My thoughts are that its 1 of or all of 3 things. my belt tensioner, alternator and my tps sensor. It happens when im driving and then let off the gas and take it out of gear to come to a stop, it dips low. i also noticed that my idle was fluctuating a while back and thats when i started to pay even more attention to it, then it just got worse any ideas what it could be?

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Your battery might not be connected properly, the low idle dip happened to me before.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

hmm...guess i can check that one too. im gonna take it to autozone this weekend to have them check out the alt. and battery.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

idle varying COULD be cause by IAC. but the other symptons you described makes it not sound like the culprit. i duno. ill keep thinking for ya. good luck!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

thanks. im losing my mind trying to figure this out!!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

It would be very helpful to you if you could get a hand held and drive while keep a look at tour TPS. IF you have access to this then usually when throttle is closed voltage is about .05 volts. At wide open it is usually 4.8 to 4.9 volts. This could be your TPS. as of now i thinks its all you have to go on. I cant think of anything else as of now.

Ways to check your TPS are....
    1. with the sensor diconnected and igniton on, Voltage a terminal A of the wiring harness should be 5 volts.
    2. Next check senor with an ohmmeter. check for short to ground by measurng the resistance of each terminal ground. The ohmmeter should read an open circuit.
    3. Next measure the fixed resistor by connecting the ohmmeter between terminal A and B. Meter should read between 4,000 to 5,000 ohms.
    4. and finally check action of moveable wiper by connecting the ohmmeter between B and C. as throttle is opened, resistance should rise smoothlu from about 1,000 ohms to about 4,000 ohms.

Theres acouple more tests you can do but i need a beer. Just ask if you want them. Hope any of this rambling helps.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i do have a multimeter, so ill give it a shot. thanks! im going to look at the tune again. i think its still a maf tune with the maf unplugged. im going to disable it in the tune and see if that helps. if it does, then cool.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99 View Post
    i do have a multimeter, so ill give it a shot. thanks! im going to look at the tune again. i think its still a maf tune with the maf unplugged. im going to disable it in the tune and see if that helps. if it does, then cool.
    yea no problem. The mulitimeter is your best friend if you know how to use it which im sure you do. another way to go is to get an actual held held... genisis(sp) and many many others. Matco selld them along with others. dont blow money on this thou if you dont have to. Do some simple tests on that damn tps and if you need some more just say so. Im on here daily( well nightly i guess) best of luck to you bro.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

that pesky maf should not be forgotten ethier. try cleaning, and testing to see if it is functions properly. i dont have specs on it but im sure one of these fine people's or e-web has them. it is probaly some easy. It will be solved.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the maf is unplugged, so it shouldnt be causing any errors.

It happens when im driving and then let off the gas and take it out of gear to come to a stop, it dips low. i also noticed that my idle was fluctuating a while back and thats when i started to pay even more attention to it, then it just got worse any ideas what it could be?
    Sounds like the alternator is going. Good way to tell is by disconnecting the battery while the engine is idling... if the volt gauge drops severely, and the engine immediately idles lower because of a weaker charge, the alternator is shot (might have gotten wet at some point, or just part of a weak batch).

I had a similar problem when I converted my old '89 MAF to MAP. The idle would drop slightly when coming to a stop, but as more time passed, would get even worse. At first I thought it might have been a bad wire terminal connection, but after careful inspection of the entire harness, this wasn't the case. In the end, it was a common case of a failing alternator.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i took it to autozone and had them test the battery and alternator. both checked out ok on their diagnostic machine. Ive been thinking of changing out throttle bodies to see if it was those sensors instead of buying one or two new ones. The car doesnt pull like it used to either. It does seem like its unmetered air, but my trims arent too lean.

Thread Information