Artic White
    2002 ws6

I call B.S. on this one. Your thoughts?

Alright... Just ran across this add (won't say where from because the people there are great and their customer service is unmatched... except for Strano) but read what it claims. I don't think it's possible no matter how modded the car is to see this kind of a gain in RWHP just from headers. But, maybe I'm wrong... your thoughts???

98-02 LS1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers
    [CA00] $719.99
    Click to enlarge

Stainless Works introduces their own set of Long Tube headers for the 1998-2002 LS1 Camaro and Firebirds. All headers are made with 1-3/4" primaries. The headers are completely tig welded together, and have the AIR tubes and Oxygen sensors installed. The headers have shown gains of 40+ rear wheel horsepower on highly modified engines.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have read on verious sites that SW's net a gain of 30 hp. I have a set in my basement waiting to go in my car.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I have read on verious sites that SW's net a gain of 30 hp. I have a set in my basement waiting to go in my car.
    okay... do you know your RWHP as of right now? And if so, will you install your headers only and get a dyno? If so, please keep us informed on the gains you see.

Thanks guy!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

slp makes those sort of claims to. They don't tell you that motor they tested it on was w/ heads and cam.

Destroyer of Mustangs RaceMyLS1's Avatar

Black/Red
    98 Trans Am/99 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    The headers have shown gains of 40+ rear wheel horsepower on highly modified engines. [/COLOR]

Well it says has shown gains of 40+rwhp on highly modified engines.. It's legit.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

okay... do you know your RWHP as of right now? And if so, will you install your headers only and get a dyno? If so, please keep us informed on the gains you see.

Thanks guy!
    As of now, my RWHP is 343 and 328 rwtq. The shop that tuned it calls it "conservative" as we don't know what cam/rockers/pushrods are in the car right now. Once the headers go in, back on the dyno it goes.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    As of now, my RWHP is 343 and 328 rwtq. The shop that tuned it calls it "conservative" as we don't know what cam/rockers/pushrods are in the car right now. Once the headers go in, back on the dyno it goes.
    same with mine. i wish i knew
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMyLS1 View Post
    Well it says has shown gains of 40+rwhp on highly modified engines.. It's legit.
    I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility, but I find it hard to believe that for instance a car with stock exhaust but has full bolt-ons (heads/cam) can add these headers ONLY to that car and see an additional 40+ RWHP. I think included in the 40RWHP would be a full cat back system or true duals to see that kind of gain and they don't market it like that... misleading. However, like I previously mentioned... maybe I'm wrong. That's why I want to see someone on here with hard numbers to prove it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility, but I find it hard to believe that for instance a car with stock exhaust but has full bolt-ons (heads/cam) can add these headers ONLY to that car and see an additional 40+ RWHP. I think included in the 40RWHP would be a full cat back system or true duals to see that kind of gain and they don't market it like that... misleading. However, like I previously mentioned... maybe I'm wrong. That's why I want to see someone on here with hard numbers to prove it.
    I think its very believeable, since they said "highly modified".

So lets say its a full bolt on, H/C LS1, with an aftermarket exhaust but bone stock manifolds. So lets say its got 400WHP. So you install LT headers, and now the motor can actually breath, especially on the top end. So now you can really take full advantage of that extra airflow through the heads and big cam that you couldn't maximize before. I'd say in that case, 40WHP is definitely a reasonable number.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I think its very believeable, since they said "highly modified".

So lets say its a full bolt on, H/C LS1, with an aftermarket exhaust but bone stock manifolds. So lets say its got 400WHP. So you install LT headers, and now the motor can actually breath, especially on the top end. So now you can really take full advantage of that extra airflow through the heads and big cam that you couldn't maximize before. I'd say in that case, 40WHP is definitely a reasonable number.
    I can see that... I guess once the HP gets up into the 400's the stock manifolds are really holding back the potential... You've gotten me almost a believer... ha ha... Now let's see some dynos!!!

Thanks for the reply.

White
    01 SS Vert

I've heard of 28 RWHP depending on primary size and collector design on a basically stock car.....matched with heads and cam, I can see 40 over factory exhaust manifolds.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 01 SS Vert View Post
    I've heard of 28 RWHP depending on primary size and collector design on a basically stock car.....matched with heads and cam, I can see 40 over factory exhaust manifolds.
    So what I'm gathering is these really are some good headers... how many more ponies do you think these can put down over say the Jet-Hot Longtube brand? I'ver heard they put down good numbers too.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Key word: "Highly modified"

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

how much do you guys think you'll gain with lt headers with no tune?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i think i put down 322 before my tune...A4 w/ORY and magnaflow catback

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

I just thought i would take this time to point out that SLP headers suck pretty bad. Thank you that is all.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I just thought i would take this time to point out that SLP headers suck pretty bad. Thank you that is all.
    Well put.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

It will be pretty rare for someone in the real world to still have stock exhaust on a "highly modified" engine... so good luck finding real dyno graphs to demonstrate this. That would be a very expensive and counter-productive sequence to mod your car, unless you live in CA and have those crazy emissions rules.

I find the 40 number pretty believable on a H/C/I motor over stock exhaust.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakiller99 View Post
    how much do you guys think you'll gain with lt headers with no tune?
    A friend with a 2001 Z28 M6 was at 301 stock. He did a lid, Stainless Works LT's, and a SLP Loudmouth, plus changed the wires and plugs. He dyno'd at 343. They did a tune and he picked up 21 more hp for a total of 364.

My guess is with the Catback and lid it should be 315-325. So the headers were good for 20 or 25 as a rough ballpark.

Thread Information