Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I believe my power steering pump is going south

I believe my power steering pump is going south it still works fine
    However when the steering wheel is turned all the way right I hear
    a grinding noise. car is a 99TA w/113K miles

will it all of a sudden quite working?

I'm assumming a flare wrench is required to remove the preasure tubes.
    ?1 should the PS fuild be spioned out of resovior before removing these tubes?

I would prefer not to get a facefull of fuild or get fuild on the alternater.

?2 should I buy a metal pulley to cover my ass if I bend the orginal?

?3 I want to make sure I have the required tools before I attemp this swap,
    please list tools w/ sizes.Last time I borrowed a pulley puller from
    Autozone (harmonic balancer removale) they gave me the wronge puller.

?4 is the orginal GM PS pump a decent part? if no any recommendations
    for a btter pump? ?4.5 and how long should a new pump last for?

?5.are autozone pumps a waste of money and will these be like a rebuilt part?

?6 after PS pump swap should all the fuild be brained from the rack and replaced? if yes how much fuild is needed to refill the PS sys.?

I have searched for a step by step write up anyone have a link.

I have never swapped a PS pump so
    Thanks for any helpfull tips

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    I believe my power steering pump is going south it still works fine
    However when the steering wheel is turned all the way right I hear
    a grinding noise. car is a 99TA w/113K miles

will it all of a sudden quite working?

I'm assumming a flare wrench is required to remove the preasure tubes.
    ?1 should the PS fuild be spioned out of resovior before removing these tubes?

I would prefer not to get a facefull of fuild or get fuild on the alternater.

?2 should I buy a metal pulley to cover my ass if I bend the orginal?

?3 I want to make sure I have the required tools before I attemp this swap,
    please list tools w/ sizes.Last time I borrowed a pulley puller from
    Autozone (harmonic balancer removale) they gave me the wronge puller.

?4 is the orginal GM PS pump a decent part? if no any recommendations
    for a btter pump? ?4.5 and how long should a new pump last for?

?5.are autozone pumps a waste of money and will these be like a rebuilt part?

?6 after PS pump swap should all the fuild be brained from the rack and replaced? if yes how much fuild is needed to refill the PS sys.?

I have searched for a step by step write up anyone have a link.

I have never swapped a PS pump so
    Thanks for any helpfull tips

1) Yes, I would recommend you drain it as best as you can. You may want to also remove or cover the alternator.

2 & 3) Autozone has a PS pump puller, rent and return

4 & 5) If you need a new pump get a GM one, like from gmpartsdirect.com (Sponsor). Autozone and most rebuilds are total junk and you'll end up replacing in 6 months.

6) It can't hurt to flush your fluid. Like break fluid over time it loses its viscosity. Not sure how much you'll need.

It's not a hard thing to do. Autozone or other places have a how to manual that would help in this. Another thing to be cautious with. Careful in tightening the hoses. If you over tighten you can crush the O-ring and will leak later on.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I'm fixing to replace the shaft seal on PS pump is leaking and is starting to drip on the alternator. My question is how can i flush the rack and pinion portion so I can put new fluid in the whole system? Has anyone been sucessful in removing the seal without taking the pump out? I will siphon as much fluid out of the reservoir and then drain it. I will remove the pulley with my PS puller.

Junior Member GmPartsDirect.com's Avatar
    We will be glad to supply the part number needed, please email us (at customerservice@GmPartsDirect.com) or PM us so we can supply the correct part number to order.

Thank you,

Scott T.
    GmPartsDirect.com

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I agree on the PS pumps that are rebuilt being junk,,,6 months are over with and time to replace mine. I wonder if the GMPartsDirect are new ones or rebuilt ones. Since the parts buy at my local chevy dealer said all his are basically rebuilt ones and brand new ones dont exist,

Scott T from GMPartsDirect.com-can you elaborate on this as fact or fiction-(do the ones you sale are they new or rebuilt.)

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

If you rent the puller from Oreillys, make sure it fits over the lip on the PS pulley, I had to take mine back and swap it for a different one cause the two rings wouldnt fit around the lip.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
    I agree on the PS pumps that are rebuilt being junk,,,6 months are over with and time to replace mine. I wonder if the GMPartsDirect are new ones or rebuilt ones. Since the parts buy at my local chevy dealer said all his are basically rebuilt ones and brand new ones dont exist,

Scott T from GMPartsDirect.com-can you elaborate on this as fact or fiction-(do the ones you sale are they new or rebuilt.)
    you are going to have to PM him for that answer. If you get a reply please post I am also interested.

Remove the altenator, don't cover it.

You need to get a 13mm gear/ratchet wrench, stubby perfered or you will be there a while.

Take the pump to a reputable shop for removal or make sure what you rent fits. The new pump comes with an installer, usually, but it is a bitch.

Rebuilds last up to one year.

Remove as much fluid as you can

The rest are basic tools..
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well i got mine done. I flush all the fluid out and replaced th seal. I tried to find the high pressure line o ring but I didn't had any luck. I put everything back and it's not leaking anymore. The bad part was that I installed the puller incorrectly and half way going out it crosstreaded the bolt. It was a pain to finish pulling the pulley out. My hands were hurting badly but i got it done.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

mine just makes a grinding noise (not loud)

I don't believe mines leaking yet. it just makes a grinding noise (not loud) however I can hear it.

I'm planning a 600 mile trip in a few weeks hopefully it will hold up.

also what are the chances if it doe's expire and leaks on the Alt. then I'll have to replace both right.

I was actualley planning on a upgraded alt. so if I have to crawl under the car and remove it during PS pump swap mite as well.

what do you guy's think about having a extra or nicer Linkinfeltor PS pump pulley on hand just in case I mess up the orginale pulley?

also when ordering a new PS pump I would also need to order other stuff like preasure line seals ect, right?

I'm PM the GM parts direct and post all related part #s

Thanks Guy's for helpfull advice
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 01-29-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

If it's making noise, then yes, wear and tear have taken their toll and it will eventually go out. You can try to flush the fluid (the loss in viscocity will make the noise worse). When I drained mine I took the line loose from the rack and pinion- keeps the fluid from draining all over the alt. You can turn the pump by hand (with the belt off) to help push the fluid out but no matter what, you will make a mess!
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

new fuild I've never changed and only added a tiny bit over

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    If it's making noise, then yes, wear and tear have taken their toll and it will eventually go out.will this happen like all of a sudden? You can try to flush the fluid (the loss in viscocity will make the noise worse).so w/ newer fuild the noise will be less remember it not loud. When I drained mine I took the line loose from the rack and pinion- keeps the fluid from draining all over the alt. you are a smart man You can turn the pump by hand (with the belt off) to help push the fluid out can I just remove the rack line and leave the car sit for a few days w/ PS fuild cap removed for all the fuild to drain out? but no matter what, you will make a mess!
    thanks for sharing knowlegde.
    new fuild I've never changed and only added a tiny bit over the year's since 01.

exactly how much fuild is required for a complete replenish?

and is it OK to use transmission fuild?

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 02-04-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    thanks for sharing knowlegde.
    new fuild I've never changed and only added a tiny bit over the year's since 01.

exactly how much fuild is required for a complete replenish?

and is it OK to use transmission fuild?

Thanks
    Use Power Steering fluid- not sure how much it matters (except in Hondas and other cars which have a specific fluid for PS), but I'm sure someone is more familiar with hydrolic fluids and can better answer this. I bought two quarts when I did my Rack and Pinion and didn;t even use a whole one.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

did you completely drain all the fuild?

like did all the fuild come out of the PS resovior?

and how many times did you have to turn the pulley?

and how long did it take?

what do you mean you'r gonna make a mess I'm assumming since it's a preasureized sys. it squired fuild all over the place?

did you even depreasureize the sys. bye removing the filler cap. on resorvior?

Bright Red

My method is probably not the best, but it worked for me. Before my rack and pinion went out, the high pressure line blew so I had to replace it. I cut the line so that I could drain it into a pan and then turned the pully over a few times and then gravity do its job for an hour while I drank a few beers. I then changed out the hose and that was it. You could take the line loose at the rack (18mm line wrench, I think) but be careful not to crossthread it or lose the o-ring. I can't remember if the low-side line has crimped ends or not. To bleed it, turn the wheel all the way to full lock in both directions over and over again until it stops growling at you. The second time I flushed it was when I changed the rack and pinion- not cheap and not fun.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by GmPartsDirect.com View Post
    We will be glad to supply the part number needed, please email us (at customerservice@GmPartsDirect.com) or PM us so we can supply the correct part number to order.

Thank you,

Scott T.
    GmPartsDirect.com
    Hello I PMed you 11 days ago provided VIN #.

I am assumming the GM power steering pumps are rebuilt parts?

Looks like I'll be investing in a Turn one PSP.I believe they are new ? can anyone confirm this is new?
    I kindoff like the idea of a pump useing less power, I remember some folks used to remove a PSP for additional power.
    http://www.turnone-steering.com/ls1pump.html

unless somebody here has a suggestion on a decent new PSP.

PS I am not interested in swapping rebuilt PSP every year.

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 04-26-2011 at 03:33 AM.

silver
    2000 formula

i bet turn 1 are rebuilt .......but to proprietary turn 1 specs......i am lookin to get 1 soon!!!

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

is there an actualle write up on PS pump swap?

response from GM parts direct
    The part number for the PS pump is 26086074
    The part number for the GM OEM remanufactured alternator is 19152060
    The part number for the AC Delco emanufactured alternator is 88864280

Unfortunately there are no new alternators available only remaned.

Thanks,
    Mike W.
    GmPartsDirect.com

I replyed asking if the PS pump was in fact new or used rebuilt, so I'm waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    1) Yes, I would recommend you drain it as best as you can. You may want to also remove or cover the alternator.

2 & 3) Autozone has a PS pump puller, rent and return do you have a part # of this pulley

4 & 5) If you need a new pump get a GM one, like from gmpartsdirect.com (Sponsor). Autozone and most rebuilds are total junk and you'll end up replacing in 6 months.did you get a brand new pump from GM parts direct? if yes how much did it cost6) It can't hurt to flush your fluid. Like break fluid over time it loses its viscosity. Not sure how much you'll need.

It's not a hard thing to do. Autozone or other places have a how to manual that would help in this. Another thing to be cautious with. Careful in tightening the hoses. If you over tighten you can crush the O-ring and will leak later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post

still waiting to hear back on this new issuse.

Quote Originally Posted by mike171562 View Post
    If you rent the puller from Oreillys, make sure it fits over the lip on the PS pulley, I had to take mine back and swap it for a different one cause the two rings wouldnt fit around the lip.
    would you happen to know a part # for this Oriely puller? or discribe how it attaches to the pulley wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    Remove the altenator, don't cover it.

You need to get a 13mm gear/ratchet wrench, stubby perfered or you will be there a while.
    I have a 13mm gear/ratchet wrench however it's a conventional lenght 7 or 8" will I still be there awhile?

Take the pump to a reputable shop for removal or make sure what you rent fits. The new pump comes with an installer, usually, but it is a bitch.

Rebuilds last up to one year.

Remove as much fluid as you can

The rest are basic tools..
    what do you think about removing the preasure line down on the rack to drain the PS fuild?

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    i bet turn 1 are rebuilt .......but to proprietary turn 1 specs......i am lookin to get 1 soon!!!
    Iwill check w/ these folks if there PS is new.

I am starting to think a stock PS replacement mite be better for a street car, since the turn one uses less power I'm assumming it's a tad harder to turn the wheel.
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 04-30-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

I have yet to find a place that sells "New" PS pumps for our 4th Gens.

I've been on Turn 1 site and it seems they do rebuilds to but like sjsingle1 posted they do it to their specs. Which may be a better product.

I do like their pulley wheel and will be adding it to my build sheet. I'm all for something that makes pulling that pump off easier and for just $70. I think that's a fair price for billet aluminum piece.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by GmPartsDirect.com View Post

Thank you,

Scott T.
    GmPartsDirect.com
    hello i am glad to hear the Power sterring pump is new and not rebuilt.

I contacted customerservice@GmPartsDirect.com and Mike replyed to this part being new.

previously you said that I was intitled a discount since I was an LS1.com member please PM me the code for my discount. Mike emailed me saying I was intitled a free gift well I don't need or want a baseball hat would prefer the discount count.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I have yet to find a place that sells "New" PS pumps for our 4th Gens.

I've been on Turn 1 site and it seems they do rebuilds to but like sjsingle1 posted they do it to their specs. Which may be a better product.

I do like their pulley wheel and will be adding it to my build sheet. I'm all for something that makes pulling that pump off easier and for just $70. I think that's a fair price for billet aluminum piece.
    they say it's new I plan on ordering when I get my discount coupon code.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information