Black
    1999 Trans Am

hp gains with airbox

Does anyone have a suncoast air box installed? And has anyone dynoed to see if you really gain anything with it? I suppose what I really want to know is does this setup rob you of power on the bottom end since the only air you get is through the hood.
    Last edited by wicked1; 04-01-2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Added more detail

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Doesnt really rob you of any Low end Hp but the only gains you will realy see is on the top end when your crusing above 55mph and getting the actual Ram Air effect. Hard to dyno The setup because its based on air movement..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have seen DYNO results with an air box lid swap on a 2010 SS.

The results ranged from 8-12 HP.

It wasn't the brand you speak of, but I thought they all pretty much gave the same results.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have seen DYNO results with an air box lid swap on a 2010 SS.

The results ranged from 8-12 HP.

It wasn't the brand you speak of, but I thought they all pretty much gave the same results.
    Ive heard that a lid swap all has around the same results. Just some fit better than others. But with this set up there is no lid. Just a huge KnN filter that seals directly to the hood. The hood itself under the scoops has an outlet about the same size as the flter. I havent measured it but just going from memory Id say its somewhere around a 20''X9" rectangle

NBM
    99 TA

I didn't dyno it, but when I got my raptor hood, I used the stock airbox for a few wks bc the upper radiator support was broken during shipment. When I got the replacement part and installed the suncoast box, it seemed like there was more acceleration.

Also if you look at the design of the stock hood and airbox and compare it with the suncoast one, they route the air differently. The stock set-ups have air come in and up thru the filter into the TB and intake. The suncoast has air come DOWN thru the filter and then into the TB and intake. From your pic, looks like you have the raptor hood as well. If you look at the design of the raptor hood/stock airbox...it is very hard for air to enter the airbox (has to flow thru the hood, then make its way to the front/bottom side)...if you spent the money on the hood, might as well get the matching airbox to maximize airflow.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Logically you would get a gain but you won't see much of a dyno gain because ram air hood only make a difference at speed. Now when accelerating you may feel it oull a little more when you get the car moving.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Cool. I have this set up. It was on the car when I bought it 3 years ago. I just wanted to be sure it didnt really hurt the low end because I know my car really doesnt feel like it has much in first gear. Second pulls really good and third sets you back in your seat and holds you there. Not to the point you cant move but it does pull really hard in third. From what I hear they all do. Thanks for the reponses.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

I did a side by side dyno run with an SLP lid vs the stock lid on an SS. Saw about 6hp gain. When I did the same runs with my WS6 I lost power because I went too lean, but I need a tune.

Thread Information