Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

How to remove a MAF for a clean?

As the title says.......

I do realise that this probably sounds a question with a simple answer, but i have had a good old search and i cannot find a post to describe how.

I have learned that they are perhaps fragile inside and need treating with respect and so i do not want to go in gung ho and break anything!

So..... for a simpleton.... i would love an order of play from first approach with a screwdriver/spanner through to holding it and being able to use some CFC cleaner on it!!

I have no reason to actually think it does need a clean but i have been given a tin of CRC MAF cleaner and i figure.... why not? The only issue i have with a very well running car is the idle which is always a steady 500 ish but every once in a while it just has a moments stumble...then resumes a steady idle. probably nothing to fret over but....

Oh.... and i have an SLP lid.

Thanks in advance for any idiots guide and pics would help too!!

Trev.... )

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Just loosen the clamps, disconnect the electrical connectors, and pull everything off. That lid side can be on there pretty good so you may have to heat the lid a little with a hair dryer to make everything easier. What I would do is take everything off at the throttle body first and pull the whole assembly out to make it easier to work with and you can also clean your throttle body while you're doing the maf.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Thanks for getting back!

Now... to be clear, and having found a pic of my engine bay (i am at work without car) do you mean undo the hose clip on the TB end of the bellows and then the other hose clip on the lid end??
    And then, once this "assembly is removed....does it need any further dis-assembly to do the cleaning?

Now...and you started it, as you mentioned cleaning the throttle body
    How do you go about this!!!!???? Is it a spray with the same product or what!?? An idea of how to actually clean both this and also the MAF would go down a treat!!

I have to say i am not thick...but as i always tell the boys i teach to never be afraid to ask a question... well, i am asking questions!!!

Trev... )

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I always take that maf housing completely out so I can hose down those resistors real well from the backside. I loosen ALL the clamps and pull the whole intake assembly from the car then take it apart the rest of the way out of the car. I use carb cleaner on the TB and just spray everything down and wipe it off. Could probably just use the crc cleaner on it I would imagine.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Thanks a lot.......

I will have a go directly it stops bloody raining !!!!

Trev... )

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

like orion said i would just take the lid and maf out as a whole unit. because the maf is attached directly to the lid and it is a bear to seperate from the slp lids. so i would take the whole thing out leave the maf attached to the lid and just attach the little red hose to the can and spray at it from the inside of the lid. then let it air dry. and clean the throttle body with a carb or throttle body cleaner.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    like orion said i would just take the lid and maf out as a whole unit. because the maf is attached directly to the lid and it is a bear to seperate from the slp lids. so i would take the whole thing out leave the maf attached to the lid and just attach the little red hose to the can and spray at it from the inside of the lid. then let it air dry. and clean the throttle body with a carb or throttle body cleaner.
    Thats how its done around my house...

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Thanks for the continuing advice guys...

All very much appreciated as i do feel a bit "disembodied" being over here in the UK and it is nice to know that anything technical at all is always answered to help me sort things out!!

I have to say i still have not managed to get out and do the cleaning as i had to go away the weekend and i will get cleaning in the next day or two!!

Trev.... )

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Thanks for the continuing advice guys...

All very much appreciated as i do feel a bit "disembodied" being over here in the UK and it is nice to know that anything technical at all is always answered to help me sort things out!!

I have to say i still have not managed to get out and do the cleaning as i had to go away the weekend and i will get cleaning in the next day or two!!

Trev.... )
    I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I had a little fight with the lid, but, ended up just rocking it back and forth for a few and it popped right out. Took the MAF off, doused it with cleaner, let it dry, put it all back and maybe took 25 minutes of my time. Most of that time was just doing something else after cleaning the MAF while letting it dry

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I had a little fight with the lid, but, ended up just rocking it back and forth for a few and it popped right out. Took the MAF off, doused it with cleaner, let it dry, put it all back and maybe took 25 minutes of my time. Most of that time was just doing something else after cleaning the MAF while letting it dry
    next time take it inside and hit it a minute or so with a hair dryer.....you'll never fight it again.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    next time take it inside and hit it a minute or so with a hair dryer.....you'll never fight it again.
    I'll do that

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

WHITE

Hey whats the stock idle on a 98z28 a4 ls1

Thread Information