Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    99 Trans Am

How much HP gains with longtubes along, Stock engine.

I would like to know how much real horsepower did you guys with stock engines really see by adding longtube headers along.Is the increase worth the money and other problems that come with headers. I want to get some pacesetters and a catted Y setup but I want to hear that it's worth the pain and money that goes into getting and installing headers and getting a tune.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It has always been my understanding that the combination of LT's and a good tune will result in at least a 35 to 45 h.p. increase. Well worth the investment IMO.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would say Jeff's about right on target.

My car DYNO'd 330rwhp/342rwtq on a Mustang DYNO (which will read lower than a DYNOJET) after a lid, headers, and exhaust. This was also through a Moser 9", which is less efficient than the 10 bolt.

Unfortunately I did not get a DYNO reading prior to the install, but most cars Dyno right around the high 200's to very low 300's stock based on whether the car is an automatic or manual.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP, LT's are worth every scratch, cut, and all the other pains to get rid of that exhaust manifold that chokes our cars. LT's are the first bolt on that I did. Yes there is a solid increase of power. My buddy had a stock 99 and the differences between the 2 were very easy to feel. I also second a Tune by Frost. Very worth the money.

I have Pacesetter LT's (No EGR) Ceramic Coated and a TS&P ORY. I deleted the CATS too. I love the LT's but started hating the ORY. If I did over again I'd get a Pacesetter ORY or go true duals. I've had to cut & tweak the TS&P ORY to get it right. Sad thing is that I got my ORY before they change the design that is currently having problems. So I will have to say get a Pacesetter ORY or go true duals.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I saw where someone said that there is a problem with the pacesetters is this true? I hope not. catted Y and Longtubes are going on this spring.I have put all the other cars I have before it for the last 10yrs. because it ran so good and I wanted to be sure that I would be happy with the results I'll be ordering them soon so that I want backout again. Plus a tune by Frost.Thanks for the infro.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You may gain say 20rwhp from longtubes on a stock engine. However if you were to do a head and cam swap and still had the stock manifolds on, then did the longtubes, you'd gain prolly more like 40rwhp. The further you go with the car, the more you'll get out of em. In other words, longtubes are completely necesary for just about any future engine mods and usually one of the first bolt on mods we do.

01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I would like to know how much real horsepower did you guys with stock engines really see by adding longtube headers along.Is the increase worth the money and other problems that come with headers. I want to get some pacesetters and a catted Y setup but I want to hear that it's worth the pain and money that goes into getting and installing headers and getting a tune.
    Definately worth the pain but you WONT see anywhere near 45hp gains. 20-25ish maybe. FWIW, pacestters are garbage...save you pennies and get a "good" headers. What ever you decide make sure you have a Y pipe built with a good merge. NO ONE in the industry makes one worth a shit. Flowmaster merge is the only way to go for optimum flow and sound.

On my completely stock 02 SS I installed pacesetters with their off road Y pipe.
    Even after touching up the tune (it had a tune already) I only picked up a tenth and 1 mph at the dragstrip.

That doesn't equate to much gain in HP when you do the math, but the 01-02's had better manifolds to start with than previous years. Now if the car had a camshaft, heads, compression etc.....the gains would be more substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    What ever you decide make sure you have a Y pipe built with a good merge. NO ONE in the industry makes one worth a shit. Flowmaster merge is the only way to go for optimum flow and sound.
    I've preached this for a long time. Pacesetters merge is crap, I had to cut mine apart and open the hole. It's "T"d together and the opening was half the size of the piping.

Navy Blue Metallic

I did not know that Pacesetter ORY's had that problem FBJ, I'm saving that info for later use.

Will the FlowMaster ORY work well with other headers like Pacesetter, EBAY, Hooker, etc...?

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/best-o...ml#post2344699

Check this link from here. This is a discussion we had about it a while back. From all the others I've seen, this is the best off road Y and merge collector I've seen. Made by LSXtreme, but I haven't heard anything from them in a while. I don't know if they are still making them.

As far as the Flowmaster deal, the merge collector is all I know of them selling. It's just a merge collector by itself. The rest has to be custom made, and if not mandrel bent you are defeating the purpose.

The only other good off road Y I have seen with a real nice merge is Mufflex, might want to check them out too.

Navy Blue Metallic

Thanks

red
    2002 z/28

mine dyno'd 297 rwhp bone stock. added kooks lt's, 4" mufflex and a tune and got 329 rwhp.

I'd bet the 4" mufflex is alot of that. That's one killer system that we found to be worth substantial gains over any 3" catback on the market, changed nothing else.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

My pacesetters fit great along with the TSP ORY. The new design fits great, no complaints and good looking merge. Can't beat it for the price and the Y is stainless

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My pacesetters fit great along with the TSP ORY. The new design fits great, no complaints and good looking merge. Can't beat it for the price and the Y is stainless
    I've heard about a new TSP off road Y for quite a while now, but I've never seen a picture. Their website still shows a generic picture with the same old "T" merge that looks similar to a pacesetter.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I'll get some up in a minute

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

excuse it being so dirty
    It didn't come with all the band clamps just so everyone knows

LPM
    2000 Z28

Looks much better than my hooker Y :x

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    excuse it being so dirty
    It didn't come with all the band clamps just so everyone knows

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Excellent pics Tator. That's a much better looking Y than the "T" connections on the pacesetters. It actually resembles and real merge.
    Texas Speed needs to get that picture up on their site, I think they would sell alot more of them.
    (I haven't been on there in a couple months, maybe they do??)

Thread Information