Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 / SS

How much honest power from LS6 Intake?

I was lucky enough to fall in love w/ a 2000 SS ... As I learned more and more about the car I learned I missed the good stuff by 1 year.

Ive found a couple LS6 intakes for 300 bucks, but I'm wondering what the honest power increase is from this bolt on? ... Will I need to upgrade the intake if I plan on doing cam/heads basicaly a full bolt on car?

Is a stock Ls6 intake going to be able to do the job? Or should I look at some of the high end FAST intakes?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboycntdnce View Post
    I was lucky enough to fall in love w/ a 2000 SS ... As I learned more and more about the car I learned I missed the good stuff by 1 year.

Ive found a couple LS6 intakes for 300 bucks, but I'm wondering what the honest power increase is from this bolt on? ... Will I need to upgrade the intake if I plan on doing cam/heads basicaly a full bolt on car?

Is a stock Ls6 intake going to be able to do the job? Or should I look at some of the high end FAST intakes?
    well this has been covered 100x the ls6 will add around 15hp...the fast 90/90 combo will add 15-25 more over the ls6. The ls6 will do for heads and cam..but this all depends on the h/c combo

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

So, you saying a FAST 90/90 will add up to 40 untuned?

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

No....... LS6=15ish
    Fast=25ish

Mainly depending how radical you H/C setup is you could see more.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by craz1469 View Post
    No....... LS6=15ish
    Fast=25ish

Mainly depending how radical you H/C setup is you could see more.
    90/90 the tb too.

Black
    2000 / SS

The whole reason I asked the "?" to begin is because Ive ran into a couple of good deals w/ just a stock LS6 intake, i know i NEED to change it over regardless but if i can spend 300 bucks on the intake vs 900 for the fast 90 and not lose out on a shit-ton of HP i'd do it.

98' trans am

with the fast 90/90 you wont see the big difference until the ls6 intake is being taxed by our bolt ons ect. cam, and new valvetrain ect...you can see fast 90/90 really allow for more flow and less turbulent flow...but yes around 25-30ish..maybe even 35 right out the gate with just stock.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboycntdnce View Post
    The whole reason I asked the "?" to begin is because Ive ran into a couple of good deals w/ just a stock LS6 intake, i know i NEED to change it over regardless but if i can spend 300 bucks on the intake vs 900 for the fast 90 and not lose out on a shit-ton of HP i'd do it.
    well i mean ya you wont lose out on a shit ton...but the question you have to ask your self is where do you see your car at ..mod wise in the future, because if you spend 300 for the ls6 intake and then eventually need/want the 90/90 then you just spent 300 bucks for nothing..figuratively speaking. remember the 90/90 is also the t/b...and you'll double the hp numbers that you get with ls6...so its up to you. look at all the major members making good power 400rwhp+ they are almost all running fast 90/90...let your aftermarket cam(if in the future/how radical) breathe as much as possible.

retired racer not 4 long chevy1966's Avatar

red white
    1999 z28 vert 1998 z28 ht

Don't mean to hijack your thread. But what would the difference be between an ls6 manifold versus an Fast 78 manifold. Is it worth the money diference between the two? Is the Fast 78 good enough to run with a mild H/C package?

Well the Fast/78 setup is hardly larger than the LS6 and stock 75 setup....really the only noticable difference will be in the intake itself,,,the throttle bodies don't vary in size enough,,,especially if you port your stocker.

There are plenty of 400+ rear wheel HP cars out there with just the LS6 intake, it's not hard to do.

Personally I can't see spending $1,000 plus for a Fast/90 setup to gain only 25 HP or maybe a little more. It really depends on how hungry you are for every last bit of HP. Large heads and large cam would benefit more with the Fast/90 setup obviously,,,but,,,,I can think of alot of other things I would rather spend a grand on.

I would generally reserve the Fast/90 setup for all out high HP applications and larger cubic inch full tilt racing efforts myself. On a street car making 400+ rear wheel HP is good enough for easy 11 second times at the strip,,,,how fast to you want to go? Only you can answer that question.

98' trans am

i ment 500rwhp :

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The LS6 gains are all top end over the LS1 so the 10-15hp is up near redline, not down low so much. someone had the tests posted out of a mag. on here. If you spend most of your time near redline go for it.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well the Fast/78 setup is hardly larger than the LS6 and stock 75 setup....really the only noticable difference will be in the intake itself,,,the throttle bodies don't vary in size enough,,,especially if you port your stocker.

There are plenty of 400+ rear wheel HP cars out there with just the LS6 intake, it's not hard to do.

Personally I can't see spending $1,000 plus for a Fast/90 setup to gain only 25 HP or maybe a little more. It really depends on how hungry you are for every last bit of HP. Large heads and large cam would benefit more with the Fast/90 setup obviously,,,but,,,,I can think of alot of other things I would rather spend a grand on.

I would generally reserve the Fast/90 setup for all out high HP applications and larger cubic inch full tilt racing efforts myself. On a street car making 400+ rear wheel HP is good enough for easy 11 second times at the strip,,,,how fast to you want to go? Only you can answer that question.
    i find it hard to ever disagree with you firebirdjones....this is no exception
    i just dont agree with " I would generally reserve the Fast/90 setup for all out high HP applications and larger cubic inch full tilt racing efforts myself." but that is your opinion..but mine is after full bolt-on and h/c then the fast is a great mod. but yes go with what f-jones says

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    The LS6 gains are all top end over the LS1 so the 10-15hp is up near redline, not down low so much. someone had the tests posted out of a mag. on here. If you spend most of your time near redline go for it.
    yea that has to do with runner length correct?

retired racer not 4 long chevy1966's Avatar

red white
    1999 z28 vert 1998 z28 ht

So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. Buy a used ls6 intake for around 300.00 over a 700.00 Fast/78 and they will both make about the same HP difference. I am just looking to get the best bang for the buck. Actually, I have found a new Fast/78 maifold for 575.00. If the difference is not that much, I will save that 275.00 for other goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i find it hard to ever disagree with you firebirdjones....this is no exception
    i just dont agree with " I would generally reserve the Fast/90 setup for all out high HP applications and larger cubic inch full tilt racing efforts myself." but that is your opinion..but mine is after full bolt-on and h/c then the fast is a great mod. but yes go with what f-jones says
    I say that because everyones idea of full bolt ons is different. An LS6 is still favorable with aftermarket heads and camshafts,,,,but how big do you want to go with that?

If your only talking about a little 224 cam that seems very popular with the general street crowd here, and some mildly ported heads,,,then why bother with a Fast/90 setup?

Now if your going to throw in a cam with say,,,,,,240/250 degrees at .050 or even more,,,,,,and then maybe go all out on some heads like something from AFR,,,,,I could see an intake upgrade to a Fast 90 setup.

You've spent some coin on great flowing heads, a big cam to take advantage of it,,,,now don't skimp on the intake,,,no what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by chevy1966 View Post
    So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. Buy a used ls6 intake for around 300.00 over a 700.00 Fast/78 and they will both make about the same HP difference. I am just looking to get the best bang for the buck. Actually, I have found a new Fast/78 maifold for 575.00. If the difference is not that much, I will save that 275.00 for other goodies.
    I personally wouldn't bother with a Fast/78 setup,,,,,

Depending on what you want out of it,,,I would suggest the LS6 and a ported stock throttle body,,,,or in an all out HP attempt go with the Fast/90 and just pass right over the Fast/78.

Like I said,,,there are tons of 4th gen LS1's running 11's or so with LS6 intakes, and are a complete blast on the street,,,,just depends on how fast you want to go.

If you can get a really good deal on the LS6 manifold and your HP goals are in the 400rwhp range then that's the route to go. If you have a desire to get 450rwhp + or go with a stroker motor at some point then don't waste the money and go fast 90/90. Personally I'm going the fast 90/90 route because I shooting for mid to high 400s at the wheels with my stock block and will eventually drop a motor with over 400ci in my car.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I say that because everyones idea of full bolt ons is different. An LS6 is still favorable with aftermarket heads and camshafts,,,,but how big do you want to go with that?

If your only talking about a little 224 cam that seems very popular with the general street crowd here, and some mildly ported heads,,,then why bother with a Fast/90 setup?

Now if your going to throw in a cam with say,,,,,,240/250 degrees at .050 or even more,,,,,,and then maybe go all out on some heads like something from AFR,,,,,I could see an intake upgrade to a Fast 90 setup.

You've spent some coin on great flowing heads, a big cam to take advantage of it,,,,now don't skimp on the intake,,,no what I mean?

yea true

98' trans am

agree'd dont waste your money on a 78

Thread Information