Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

How "deep" is the Throttle Body water jacket?

How far does the water jacket extend around the throttle body? I'm speaking of the water port that is commonly bypassed by disconnecting the two hoses from the throttle body and connecting them together to bypass the throttle body. Most of us just place rubber end caps on the throttle body entry & exit ports. But I want to know how far the water jacket inside the throttle body goes--does the passage extend all the way around the circumference of the throttle body, or just part of the way? If only part of the way, how far does it extend within the throttle body?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Anybody? I've read and been told to be careful when porting the throttle body in order to not grind off too much metal that it exposes the open water passage within the throttle body. So, does anyone have an idea of the extent of this water passageway? I wonder if Shaner knows, since he is the big pro at porting these throttle bodies?

I suppose I could use a small drill bit and drill very small diameter holes into the throttle body wall surface in the area that is normally ground away during the porting process in order to find the extent of the water passageway, but I'd rather have someone who knows the specifics of that water passageway to kindly post the answer. Thanks a bunch in advance.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Just cut the water passage off, it only goes through that small piece of aluminum that you see. What they are talking about porting into is the actual aluminum that is holding the water passage.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

I just pulled the tubes out of the TB. That way there aren't any "sticky outie" things to deal with.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

just do what planemech 2 did. i plan on doing the same with mine since it has the "stickie outie" look going on.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'm not talking about the external tubes that stick out from the throttle body at all. Those are not the water jacket, those are the tubes with one end of each tube pressed into the aluminum water jacket. The water jacket is the water passage within the aluminum throttle body itself.

What I want to know is how far within the aluminum throttle body the water passageway extends? Does it merely go only straight through the small aluminum tab that extends down from the lower side of the throttle body, or does it extend further within the throtle body between the inner surface where the intake air flows past and the outer surface that is seen everytime you open the hood?

I ask this because Shaner (and other TB porters) instructs the DIYers to be careful how much pressue to use when grinding down the inner circumference surface of the throtte body to prevent grinding through the surface and into the water passageway contained.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I'm not talking about the external tubes that stick out from the throttle body at all. Those are not the water jacket, those are the tubes with one end of each tube pressed into the aluminum water jacket. The water jacket is the water passage within the aluminum throttle body itself.

What I want to know is how far within the aluminum throttle body the water passageway extends? Does it merely go only straight through the small aluminum tab that extends down from the lower side of the throttle body, or does it extend further within the throtle body between the inner surface where the intake air flows past and the outer surface that is seen everytime you open the hood?

I ask this because Shaner (and other TB porters) instructs the DIYers to be careful how much pressue to use when grinding down the inner circumference surface of the throtte body to prevent grinding through the surface and into the water passageway contained.
    Yes

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Thanks Sweet Chops. So, there really isn't much of a water jacket there at all, eh? I just wanted to make sure because I have heard several different descriptions, and I obviously have never disassembled the unit myself. A few claimed that an actual water passageway extended around the circumference within the throttle body "ring" itself. A couple of others claimed such a water passageway extended about halfway around the circumference. So, I figured this was the place to ask. Thanks to each of y'all who clarified it for me...now I feel kinda silly for all the details about which I asked.
    Last edited by GatorSS; 10-18-2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Still up from the game last night and misspelled some

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I shouldn't matter if it extends around, because when you port a TB, you're not making the opening any bigger, just smoothing out the flow on the front and rear of the blade. If there was a water jacket it would run where the blade is, not anywhere else, since the purpose of the coolant running pass the TB is to keep the blade form freezing in colder weather.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Should look like this when you are done.

Thread Information