Thread: Hot trans am!!!

pewter
    2000 pontiac trans am ws-

Hot trans am!!!

I have a 2000 ws-6 and my T/A is overheating, i changed the thermostat because it seemed like the most logical thing to do and it is still overheating, i have had my car for 4 years and this is the 1st time it has overheated since i bought it, when i put the new thermostat in i also did a radiator flush and put in new antifreeze, do you guys know why my T/A is still overheating, any ideas please let me know, also my car is sill stock i have never done any mods to the motor yet, the first time it overheated the needle made it all the way to the red line and still drove for 5 minutes until i could get to a gas station, the 2nd time was today after i drove on the highway for 15 minutes at 100mph once i turned the car off it started to leak the water and coolant.
    Last edited by supercampeones4; 08-28-2010 at 09:21 PM.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

water pump

pewter
    2000 pontiac trans am ws-

it's not leaking from the water pump, it's leaking from the reserve once the car is off it starts to bubble and leaks...

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

usually when your overheating its a water pump or thermo but you replaced the thermo, and it sounds like its clogged even tho you did a flush. It could be your radiator may be something wrong with it.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Just remember go with the cheapest thing possible first!!!!

black
    1999 camaro SS

I don't know how this makes sense but my ss started over heating right after I got it. did the cheapest thing first... got a new radiator cap. It was a shot in the dark and for some odd reason the problem went away

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Are your fans coming on?

One way to check if they are working is to turn the AC on. The fan should be coming on immediately. If not, you could have a bad fuse.

Secondly, you shouldn't have drove the car with it at redline temp...but you probably already know that.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I don't know how this makes sense but my ss started over heating right after I got it. did the cheapest thing first... got a new radiator cap. It was a shot in the dark and for some odd reason the problem went away

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah, a cap can cause it. Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket while driving it over heated. There is a kit that is easy to use to test for a blown head gasket, you can get it at Napa or Carquest. It comes with a chemical you put in a container and then put it in place of your cap while the engine is running, If it turns a certain color you're getting exhaust in your coolant which means blown head gasket.

red
    99 camaro

radiator might be stopped up with road debris not letting air through. Id use a radiator pressure tester and see if the cooling system holds about 15psi of air or not. Thats the sure way to check for gasket failure. Driving an aluminum engine hot will warp stuff. Hope thats not the case though...

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

if all of the above fail. you have air in there and you need to jack the right front up as high as you can with the cap off and let it idle. i had this when i changed my t stat. you may just need to burp it.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    if all of the above fail. you have air in there and you need to jack the right front up as high as you can with the cap off and let it idle. i had this when i changed my t stat. you may just need to burp it.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    That's exactly where I'd go. Basically air gets in the way of the thermostat opening at the proper temp because no water is on it. You can usually "pump" the system by squeezing the upper hose and that'll push water to the thermostat. I hadn't ever tried the jack method but that sounds like a win as well.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

As stated above there was a GM Bulletin about the radiator cap leaking. Take a block and sand paper and make sure the radiator fill hole is sanded flat (not a whole lit of sanded just a little) and buy a new radiator cap for a few bucks. THat's what my problem was it was boiling over when at normal temp. If not do a pressure test and see where it's leaking from.

White
    1998 Trans Am m6

Check the front of the radiator, mine picked up a plastic bag a while back.
    LS6 intake,B&M short shift, Pacesetter ceramic lt, ory, umi subframe connectors, umi lca, slp lid, tr 230 cam, comp 918 springs,centerforce dual friction clutch, Frost tune.

Thread Information