Awaiting Activation

Hosepower from Headers!!

I am thinking about getting pacesetter long tube headers for my 99 Z28 6spd. I was wondering what you guys think about ceramic coating. Is it worth the money or not? Should i just get the black painted ones? Its like $275 black painted and like $425 ceramic coated.

My cars whole exhaust system is stock as of now and i am just planning on getting the headers now and exhaust later. So im wondering what gains will i get from putting LT pacesetters with stock exhaust? Will the headers performance be restricted by my factory exhaust? I only have $$ for the headers right now - but am getting exhaust (probably borla) in the future.

Snake Eater
    Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ
    I am thinking about getting pacesetter long tube headers for my 99 Z28 6spd. I was wondering what you guys think about ceramic coating. Is it worth the money or not? Should i just get the black painted ones? Its like $275 black painted and like $425 ceramic coated.

My cars whole exhaust system is stock as of now and i am just planning on getting the headers now and exhaust later. So im wondering what gains will i get from putting LT pacesetters with stock exhaust? Will the headers performance be restricted by my factory exhaust? I only have $$ for the headers right now - but am getting exhaust (probably borla) in the future.
    Buy the ceramic coated, it is well worth it. I'd try and get a tune or you won't see much out of those headers. As far as being restricted by the stock exhaust I'd say no, if anything you could install a cutout.

Awaiting Activation
    What does the coating do for you though? What will the tune do for my car and why do i need one?

Snake Eater
    the coating will keep the temp very cool. usually when installing headers it will richen your car out... so with a tune you'll see full potential power. back with my old setup i didn't feel anything when i installed my headers until after my tune.

Awaiting Activation
    ok i understand the cooling part about the coated headers, but im trying to save $$ - will the painted ones have any negative affects besides producing more heat?

Also how much will a tune cost me - and should i wait until i buy my exhaust also to get my tune so i don't have to pay for 2 tunes?

black
    2000 z28

i really don't think it matters..especially if you drive your car in the winter..say goodbye to the ceramic coating..and most people in my car club that had them coated, the ceramic peeled off in a couple of years or less..

i opted for the non coated ones and they have lasted me 3 years..i did spray hight temp paint and that's it..

so it all depends on what you want..to each his own i guess..

and 98-2000 years show more gains with Lt's because of the better design of the header for 01+years..

typically see around 20-25 with tune..

Awaiting Activation
    greddy33 do you have pacecetters? Did you put the high temp paint on top of the other coat? So 3 years an no problems - thats awesome thats just what i wanted to hear!

Thanks

Snake Eater
    If you're trying to save money the painted ones will work fine. A dyno tune typically runs from 250-300$ depending on where you have it done. You won't have to tune your car if you're only installing a catback. Typical gains from a tune with LT's is 20+rwhp. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Snake Eater; 05-09-2006 at 05:54 AM.

Awaiting Activation
    sounds good. Thanks for all your help!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

with a tune, my pacesetters gained 30 rwhp
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Snake Eater
    my mistake--typo, you're correct.

Awaiting Activation
    i've read the thread about tuning software and was wondering did you guys tune your car yourself or take it somewhere? Taking it to a shop is very expensive. If you did the tune yourself how hard is it too figure out what to adjust to get hp?

Snake Eater
    It would actually be cheaper to tune at a shop than to purchase hp tuners, etc.. keep in mind you only get to do this once though.. (shop tune). The hand-help programs such as hp tuners are easy to use.

Awaiting Activation
    if its handheld do i have to keep it in my car all the time i want the power? or can i change the computer and then take it out? I need something i can use on multiple cars. The reason i want to know it my nieghbor/best friend has a '99 formula and we agreed if we could use the tuning stuff on both cars we would split the price.

Snake Eater
    Well if you don't plan on camming your car that would be the cheapest route to go. All you'll have to do is plug in the prog, tune, unplug and you're done. Plain and simple.

Awaiting Activation
    hey thanks that the answer i needed im glad i have a friend to split the cost with

black
    2000 z28

yup..i bought some high temp paint and painted over the already black painted headers..

as for the tune..usually you can order a mail order tune from the place your purchasing the headers from...

from my experience..some cars need a good tune for the car to run right and others seem to run just fine without a tune..so it's hit or miss on how good your car runs after Lt's install...

So I put it in her butt.

White
    2001 Z28 M6

Ceramic coatings are ment to keep heat in. Have you ever seen the guys that go so far as to wrap their headers with fiberglass tape? Keeping heat inside the pipes maximizes exhaust velocity thus maximizing scavenging.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think you may have the wrong idea about the handheld tuners such as hpp3 and predator. Those can only be used on 1 car at a time so you can't split the cost with your friend. A full editor such as hptuners will let you split the cost because you get 8 credits with the cable and each individual car takes 2 credits.
    As for the headers. My vote goes for coated. I think you'll end up regretting it if you don't. It's your money and I can certainly relate to wanting to save mod money but that's an area I think you'll wish you would've saved up a bit more and got the coated. The reason. Headers build a tremendous amount of heat. Things like your starter, oil filter, and tons of wires are very close to them. Heat will kill all of those things. I have coated pacesetters and use fram filters. You know the black grip shit on the bottom of the filter? My headers cooked one side of that off and that was only 1500 miles between changes or so. Can you run with uncoated headers? Sure, but your chances of cooking shit goes way up.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Just to top off what Orion said there's an interesting thread regarding the FRAM filters on here might want to check it out - I am glad I did.

Thread Information