pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Hooker vs Magnaflow cat back

I have been trying to figure out which cat back I should get. I have narrowed it down to the Hooker or the Magnaflow cat back, I do like the dual tips on each side better than the single. I was wondering those who have the hooker why was it chosen. Did you compare it to the Mangaflow. Those with the magnaflow why did you choose that catback and did you compare it with the Hooker. I will eventually be getting hearders and a catted y pipe but that will be a few years down the road. I have other toys to finish but would like it to be a bit louder. Your opinions will be very helpful. I have been to ls1 sounds and have listened to the different setups but am still at a toss up. I would also like to know do you like the system you chose just as much now as the day you got it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's all I got to say about that.

Seriously, I have always been a fan of the Magnaflows -- the sound is just what it is supposed to be. Also, the look of the dual tip system is spot on for our cars imo. I did not shop any other brands.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive had both in the past and i like the way the hooker sounds better. Its preference really but my Magnaflow wasnt loud at all. The hooker isnt very loud either but sounds a little deeper and a bit more rumble.

Yellow
    2002 CETA

pajeff02....said it all...If you see those tips in person you have to love them :-)

I have the same cat-back (Magnaflow), pacesetter headers and TSP ORY....I like the sound of it alot...it is not to bad driving on the road, but when you get on it, it sounds great...

I have no info on the hookers though...never seen them or heard them..I can only give my opinion on the magnaflow...

I should mention I put the catback on first and liked the sound..it is a little quiet at idle (a little louder than stock)...Then I added the headers and y-pipe and that opened it up. Sounds great at startup..

Reason I picked it....saw the tips on a TA at Speed inc... and had to have them...

Don
    Last edited by donman; 03-29-2010 at 05:58 PM.

silver
    2000 formula

I like those tips better than my borla..............wanna trade????

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i like my magnaflow cb but its really startin to rust already (yes its "stainless"). Idle sound is disappointing but sounds great when ur in the throttle. I wouldn't want any other tips than the quad magnaflows.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a to say from the cars my friends have most of them all liked the magnafow better if you have no cats. One guy I painted a hood for had the hooker Kit and wanted to trade for my SLP Power Flo castback since it was alot deeper and les raspy. He said his hooker sounded great till he ditched the cats. But it does depend how loud you want the car and the way you want it to sound. I have to say I like the magnaflow tips but didn't like the sound. I like the setup I have buy didn't like the SLP dual/dual tips so i swapped them for some $55 corsa clones from afterthoughts auto.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

RyanJM, do you have pics of your corsa clones on your ride. Im thinking of putting those on my Z28 but for some reason i have doubts it will look good on my ride. It looks sick on T/A's. Also whats the biggest diameter we can get being corsa clones.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the ones from afterthoughts auto but I think you can getter larger tips on eBay that look like corsa clones.

Last edited by RyanJM; 03-30-2010 at 11:36 PM.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

+1 on magnaflow i do not have pictures yet still putting everything together, i have the single tip tho, single or dual, magnaflow is what ls1's should sound like, not anoying and iddle, but when you really need it, punch it and at WOT you will wake her up. throw in longtubes and ory, even better. Magnaflow all the way.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Guys I appreciate all of the input, keep it coming, if you have pics please post them. My plan of action for the 99 Trans Am, is first the Cat Back, then wheels,after those it will be the ram air hood, then I will be doing the long tubes and catted y. or maybe the headers and y before the hood not sure. The car is my daily driver and I have other projects going on that will take precedent after I get the exhaust so this will be done over time.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

same here my project car and over time i was just going to buy a catback as well, then i realized why not just do the whole set up rather than having to take a catback off then putting it on then later taking it back off and back on, as allwasy tho its your choice your mods, we are just here to put some input with magnaflows u cant go wrong i will post pictures up tonight.

Thread Information