Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    215 heads,ms4cam,102 fast 2000ls1tranz's Avatar

White
    2000 trans am

Unhappy Hey guys need help please......(catch can)

i look at some threads an dont really see how some got them hooked up...i drew a picture to show how i got my catch can hooked up i think its wrong?...i been getting a yellow sorta thick film on an in the oil cap..not sure but thought maybe it could be cuz i have my catch can hooked up wrong...any help would be greatly appreciated!.....thanks[IMG][/IMG]

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah....that's wrong. The can should be inline of the pcv tubing after the pcv valve and before the intake. Kinda like this.....

The yellowish sludge on your cap is just condensation and is normal if you drive the car short distances and the car sits a lot.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ls1tranz View Post
    i look at some threads an dont really see how some got them hooked up...i drew a picture to show how i got my catch can hooked up i think its wrong?...i been getting a yellow sorta thick film on an in the oil cap..not sure but thought maybe it could be cuz i have my catch can hooked up wrong...any help would be greatly appreciated!.....thanksClick for full size[/thumb]
    Nope nope nope...

Easiest way to do it is as follows:

1. Hose from the back of the throttle body (passenger side) to the front of the passenger side valve cover.

2. Hose from the rear of the driver's side valve cover (or LS6 valley cover) to the TOP of the catch can.

3. Hose from the SIDE of the catch can to the side of the intake manifold on the passenger side BEHIND the throttle body.

4. The PCV goes in the hose from the SIDE of the catch can to the intake manifold.

The way you have it with that hose hanging, you have a huge vacuum leak and condensation is getting into your engine (the yellow stuff is water and oil mixed).

If you'll wait till I'm out of work, I'll post up a picture of my PCV setup, so you can see what you'll need.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Nope nope nope...

1. Hose from the back of the throttle body (passenger side) to the front of the passenger side valve cover.

2. Hose from the rear of the driver's side valve cover (or LS6 valley cover) to the TOP of the catch can.

3. Hose from the SIDE of the catch can to the side of the intake manifold on the passenger side BEHIND the throttle body.

4. The PCV goes in the hose from the SIDE of the catch can to the intake manifold.

The way you have it with that hose hanging, you have a huge vacuum leak and condensation is getting into your engine (the yellow stuff is water and oil mixed).

If you'll wait till I'm out of work, I'll post up a picture of my PCV setup, so you can see what you'll need.
    +1.

White
    2000 trans am

Nope nope nope...

thank you ..yea i will wait

White
    2000 trans am

thanks guys for anyone who responded ...greatly appreciated

White
    2000 trans am

Nope nope nope...

is this way going to allow oil getting in my intake or throttle body????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's the purpose of the catch can....to catch the oil vapor. What do you have on the port on the side of your intake right now? The way the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) works is it draws vapor from your crankcase though the intake and puts it in the combustion process....unfortunately with these engines especially that vapor is oil rich so the residue collects in the throttle body, intake, and heads.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Nope nope nope...

The way you have it with that hose hanging, you have a huge vacuum leak and condensation is getting into your engine (the yellow stuff is water and oil mixed).If you'll wait till I'm out of work, I'll post up a picture of my PCV setup, so you can see what you'll need.
    not necessarily....it depends on what he has on the intake port. You can unplug the pcv system altogether with no ill effects as long as the intake port is capped. Condensation is also normal. Every car gets it. The key is you have to get the car hot enough to burn it off. If not you'll get the build up like he has. Short trips and temp./humidity are the biggest factors.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Here's the pic (ignore the dirtiness):

No...since the hose going from the TB to the passenger valve cover is in front of the throttle body blade it will pull air into the inside of the engine.

The Hose coming from the driver's side valve cover or LS6 Valley cover will eventually connect to the intake manifold (after the throttle body blade. Therefore the vacuum of the engine will pull air that way. The catch can will get most (never all) of the oil in the air before it gets to the intake.

White
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's the purpose of the catch can....to catch the oil vapor. What do you have on the port on the side of your intake right now? The way the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) works is it draws vapor from your crankcase though the intake and puts it in the combustion process....unfortunately with these engines especially that vapor is oil rich so the residue collects in the throttle body, intake, and heads.
    hmmm... how i got mine is driver side rear is going to a hose the hose comes around intake to other side then goes into y peice.... on the other side of y piece i have a hose to the pass. side front valve ...on valve cover ...then both of the hoses into the y piece come into one piece an connects to top of catch can....i aint got the bottom hose conneted to anything on catch can...i got pass. side rear vavle capped on vavle cover...i got throttle body tube capped ....an intake vavle thing capped.............can someone tell me a way to best hook it up for the least amount of oil to get put into intake??? i got my catch can from the ws6 store...

White
    2000 trans am

Here's the pic (ignore the dirtiness):

Click for full size

No...since the hose going from the TB to the passenger valve cover is in front of the throttle body blade it will pull air into the inside of the engine.

The Hose coming from the driver's side valve cover or LS6 Valley cover will eventually connect to the intake manifold (after the throttle body blade. Therefore the vacuum of the engine will pull air that way. The catch can will get most (never all) of the oil in the air before it gets to the intake.
    thanks man it makes sense now....so the hose connected to throttle body will push air into pass. side front valve an the rear driver side will go threw the catch can an into intake an will catch oil before it get into intake.....i need the pcv valve in side of catch can before connecting it to intake right?...i notice some people put the pvc in the hose to the top before the can....? whats the diff. just wondering

98 Formula
    06 duramax

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81389

read this and look at the pic in post 2 which will be like your setup. Sarge has an LS6 valley cover so that's why his comes from under the TB. I can't really even tell where your's are hooked up at.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

thanks man it makes sense now....so the hose connected to throttle body will push air into pass. side front valve an the rear driver side will go threw the catch can an into intake an will catch oil before it get into intake.....i need the pcv valve in side of catch can before connecting it to intake right?...i notice some people put the pvc in the hose to the top before the can....? whats the diff. just wondering
    You can do it either way, but if you put it after the catch can, it will extend the life of the PCV Valve because there is less oil getting on it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You can do it either way, but if you put it after the catch can, it will extend the life of the PCV Valve because there is less oil getting on it.
    this is correct but it's not a huge deal IMO. As long as you're doing it you might as well put it on the intake side of the can but if you don't I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    this is correct but it's not a huge deal IMO. As long as you're doing it you might as well put it on the intake side of the can but if you don't I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
    Yep, I left my PCV in the stock location with both valve cover hoses that "T" into each other because I didn't want to butcher the system. Was much easier to simply run the hose from it to the top of the can, and simply connect the side hose from the can to the intake.

So the PCV on both of my cars still gets a little oil on it, but it doesn't bother me, easy to clean. The main thing is catching that oil in the can before it goes into the intake. I have both of my cars ran just like the picture that Orion supplied.

Red
    98 Trans Am

ANyone have better pics of other locations to mount your catch cans. I just got this one but since im still running my EGR/AIR on my car, my locations are kinda limited. heres the one i got not too long ago. where the hell can i put this thing lol
    not trying to hijack but a few more pics of setups could give the op and me a better idea of location and hook ups.

I prefer the passenger head, but since you still have the EGR that's out of the question.

I've seen others mount them on the passenger inner fender around the battery,,,but you'll have hoses running all the way accross to the throttle body area. I didn't care for that, looks like an afterthought, but it's up to you. Not many other options if the head isn't available.

Holy cow,,,,,the picture just popped up after I posted that.

That thing is friggin huge Good luck finding a place for that monster.

Red
    98 Trans Am

lol yeah, guess now its a bit big LOL.. oh well, gonna see if i can hide it some where.

Thread Information