blue
    2000 camaro z28

help on slp lid install

i installed the slp lid along with the slp bellows but it seems like it doesnt fit well.
    i cant fully clip the lid and it barely slides in the four slots on the filter base. does anyone have similar problems with the installation ? thanks in advance.

Old Rocker

White
    2000 Trans Am

If you are using a stock paper filter it won't fit right. The SLP lid is designed for use with a K&N filter.

2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

I have the same exact problem. I don't know about the K&N filter remedy from the previous response but if thats true then SLP dropped the ball. The lid should work with ALL filters manufactured for that car otherwise SLP should include the K&N filter with the lid and jack the price. I have the AmsOil EA nanofilter which allows more air flow than a K&N with 50 times the filtering efficiency. It looks to me like the problem is that the lid does not slide far enough back. When I force it back the clips on the front work just fine, but vibration causes the lid to slide foward and then the clips pop off. I plan to slightly shave down the 4 plastic "fingers" on the back of the lid (height, not width) to make them thinner so that they slid in the slots further. Also there is a notch on the left side of the smooth bellows to make it fit the throttle body but I think the notch needs to be a bit deeper. Modifying this too will help make the lid sit further back. I will probably make the adjustment to the bellows first as this will be the easiest and may solve the entire problem.
    We'll see.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I ran into the same issue. Make sure you have the bellow linned up on the throttle body, there are little groves or slices that will slide in a let the bellow go all the way on. When you have driven the car for a lil while it makes it easier bc its warm and easier too shift around.
    I also had the same prob and too be honest the way i fixed it was going back too a paper filter, also the K&n oil got onto my maf and made it run like poo.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

I had the clip problem with mine, I ended up duct-taping the thing shut, lol...

my SLP Cold Air Pac came with the K&N...I guess the lid doesn't...

I ended up going back to the stock bellow and a Volant open-air box...the smooth bellow was too stiff to let the box sit where it needed to. is the gain that signifigant over the stock bellow?
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

blue
    2000 camaro z28

Thanks for the help and advice.

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

It's most likely that junk smooth bellows.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Mine is Okay and SLP

I have the SLP Lid and SLP Bellows. It was a little funky like everyone said (fit) so was expecting problems. I solved my issue by tightening the rear bellows clamp last (@ the TB) after shoving the lid into the rear (four) retainers. It seems to give to that little extra and everything lined up well and the clips work properly. Also like the last fellow said make sure the cut-outs in the smooth bellows are properly alined to the TB.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

I have the LS1 Motorsports lid with a K&N filter and have the same problem, so it must be a problem with all aftermarket lids.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

blue
    2000 camaro z28

ok, i think its the filter. i drove the car around, made the bellows all nice and warm and pushed it a bit further. without the filter, i can snap the clips now. however, when i put the k&n, it doesnt close all the way.

2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

Thumbs up

It's not the filter, TRUST ME!! Just yesterday I increased the depth of the notches on the smooth bellows by about 1/8" and now the whole thing fits perfectly and the clips are holding with no problem. You may also need to make another notch that does not exist where the housing for the throttle body sensor sits on the top center portion of the TB itself. Look at it and you will know exactly what I mean. Get yourself a sharp utility knife and take your time so you don't make the notches too deep.

FAS02SS

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

SLP Lid Help

I have same set up (02 SS) was tight fit at first but a year later goes on and off w/ease. I have a K/N filter as well.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I had the same problem that the clips kept poping off and the tabs would not stay and seemed forced - one day installing my cold air kit i noticed the hose clamp screw was hitting the radiator support - relocated screw and fit - i feel kinda small now tho

Ross

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

I just installed my lid, and the clips were very hard to clip on but mine stayed on making for a really air tight setup. I have the stock bellow, ive heard alot of people having trouble with the smooth bellow.

black
    1998 Trans Am

My brother put the flow pac on his 98 t/a. His car was not ram air so he had the low filter base. The lid didn't fit the base and the filter they give you doesn't fit either. He bought a ws6 base and everything fit. For as much as that kit costs, you shouldn't have to buy another $100 piece of plastic to make it fit something it's made for. SLP's customer service sucks. Basically, I got the "you're doing it wrong" response.

red
    98 M6 Z28

Is everything SLP junk?

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

My SLP lid fits nice and tight with my K&N filter, I'm using a Home Depot 3" bellow from the plumbing section. Looks nice, fits nice and was only $5.00

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    My SLP lid fits nice and tight with my K&N filter, I'm using a Home Depot 3" bellow from the plumbing section. Looks nice, fits nice and was only $5.00
    looks SLP has some competition
    If it doesn't have a turbo or a V8, it doesn't belong on the road.

Hey guys look it came back from the shop! I still need a bigger wing though...

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

mine is the same way! i think i will try tightening the TB to the bellows last, after i snap the lid on. ( im glad i found this thread!)

blue
    2000 camaro z28

after manuevering and pushing it in, i FINALLY got it to lock without having to shave the slp bellows. it do fit but i guess the grroves on the bellows must be in. if u do it after you been driving for a while, it helps big time.

Thread Information