Red
    1999 firebird Formula

HELP LS6 intake swap Install Issue

I am really stuck with my LS6 intake swap on my 99 firebird LS1. I am trying to get the intake manifold out but I cant becasue of a Trans/Lock tube that comes out over the manifold. I looked at other engine opictures of the same model and year. Can some one please tell me what it is and how to remove it so i can continue with the install. Please refer to pictures. Thanks

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...8/P1060475.jpg
    http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...8/P1060472.jpg
    http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...8/P1060469.jpg

Red
    1999 firebird Formula

Sorry here is the link to the album of photos of the issue. Thanks again for your help

http://s890.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=P1060475.jpg

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tried to send you a PM, but you are not set up to receive messages...

2000 Trans Am

I had the same problem with my 2000 trans am.....all you can do (well that i did) was have someone shove it over for you to get that bolt out....

Red
    1999 firebird Formula

I tired shoving it over to the left right and up. Still no luck. Is there a way to remove it? I dont think it is possible to remove the manifold without removing dipstick. I think i have a bigger issue now..looks like there is tranny fluid leaking under the car. I did open the Trans/lock lach. Could that have caused the leaking? or maybe when i diconnected the break booster hose, the preasure might have caused break fluid to leak?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

You would be surprised how much you can twist that tube, i was afraid the same as you that i was gonna break it. Just grab it and pull it to the side to get it out of your way. The whole job can be done without removing the dipstick.
    Last edited by Dewman; 01-10-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Red
    1999 firebird Formula

As for whats leaking under the car. Any ideas?

Red
    2001 ws6

also word of advice the oil pressure sensor is right behind the intake be vary careful with it they break easily

Red
    1999 firebird Formula

Dewman do you recall which way you twisted it. As in to the left or the right? Once the bolt clears to one side of the dip stick is there still enough room to move it around the dip stick?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

If i remember right i pulled towards the passenger side more. Once the bolt is up and you put to rubber collar around it to hold it up the dipstick will be pushed against the bolt. That is no big deal because from there you are just pulling the manifold out. Be very careful about not breaking the oil pressure sensors behind the intake manifold. They are about 40 bucks and it costs another 12 for the socket to install it. (ask me how i know lol)

Red
    1999 firebird Formula

Okay i will give it a shot. Thanks again for the help. PS is there any way of knowing if i broke the oil pressure sending unit while removing the manifold with out hooking everything back up?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

there is a sensor if i remember its like 2 inches tall black tube looking thing. You will know if you break it

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
    If i remember right i pulled towards the passenger side more. Once the bolt is up and you put to rubber collar around it to hold it up the dipstick will be pushed against the bolt. That is no big deal because from there you are just pulling the manifold out. Be very careful about not breaking the oil pressure sensors behind the intake manifold. They are about 40 bucks and it costs another 12 for the socket to install it. (ask me how i know lol)
    Like i stated above have someone help you......i had my wife pull the trans stick as hard as possible towards the passenger side.....very difficult install, but once you get everything removed it is smooth sailing, don't worry your not going to break the dipstick it's a tough little pos.....

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by kb274868 View Post
    Okay i will give it a shot. Thanks again for the help. PS is there any way of knowing if i broke the oil pressure sending unit while removing the manifold with out hooking everything back up?
    Then entire 2 inch tall black sensor would have broke off as long as its still standing up its fine

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

Dont know if it changes anything but i just removed my FAST intake today and i pushed the dipstick tube towards the drivers side to get it to work. First time it took my days of wrenching to take the stocker off, today i was done in less the an hour

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

All I had to do was push the trans-tube as far up as I could, then I could loosen the bolts up.

This is what you don't want to break.

Just remember to lift up then forwards, Might help to have two people. Also on the far two bolts on the passenger side, I used a rubber band to keep them up since you can't physically remove them.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro z28

lol my technique is lift then slight twist (rear towards PS front towards DS about 35-45*) then forward

white
    83 mustang coupe

The dipstick could have bent enough to cause it to pull out a little at the bottom and it don't take much to cause 1 to leak. get under the car and see if the ring on the stick is flush with the tranny.

2001 WS6

Resurrecting the thread! I was able to get my manifold off by taking off the fuel injector rail and injectors, but I broke the opsu in the process. Now I'm going to reinstall it after doing the LS6 Valley cover modification and knock sensors and I would like to remove the dipstick tube bolt which is on the back of the head, has anyone removed this Bolt before and how hard is it to get to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

It's a 15mm IIRC, there are one on drivers side and 2 on the passenger side.

You do need to reconnect them because they are a ground.

Thread Information