dark blue
    2000 pontiac trans am ws6

help, catted-y-pipe

hi,

was wondering if a catted y-pipe will help me reduce sound..my current set up right now is pacesetter long and ory and tsp rumbler...was wondering the tsp-catted y would help me reduce some sound?? and yet keep the same performance as the ory?? thanks!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Decrease sound yes.

Keep the performance gained you had before adding the cat, absolutley not.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lee View Post
    hi,

was wondering if a catted y-pipe will help me reduce sound..my current set up right now is pacesetter long and ory and tsp rumbler...was wondering the tsp-catted y would help me reduce some sound?? and yet keep the same performance as the ory?? thanks!
    the catted Y pipe will help keep the sound down,but you will lose some horsepower, but not enough to miss, I believe that it takes 5 horsepower or less to give you 1mile per hour in speed so if you lose 5 or less
    you give up 1 mile per hour of speed.Races are won with that,so you have to decide,as for me I will be going with the catted ypipe.I have a guy that works around the street from me with longtubes and a ory and it sounds like crap.it's loud and don't sound good at all. It's your choice lose 5 hp or have a good sound.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 07-28-2009 at 03:20 AM.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

If your looking to ONLY reduce the sound then put one high flow cat on your Ypipe right before the catback or as ive done in the past on your catback exhuast system right before it goes over the axle. Thats just to reduce sound wont do much passing smog, other options as well but that worked best for me.

If noise reduction is all you get a catback with a good muffler and be done with it. I would not use a cat to reduce noise. I'm not familiar with the rumbler but you may be able to just swap in a quieter muffler and it would be much cheaper than an entire new y pipe.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Like what everyone else has said, a lil bit of a decrease in sound and rasp, but give up a few ponies right along with it, but probably not that much that u will notice

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

I went with a catted Jet Hot Y-pipe (and LT's) matched to my existing Loudmouth catback. I went with a catted Y because I really liked my LM and didn't want to have to find a new catback. Its definintely loud, but I think the cats help to tame it down some and eliminate some rasp. If you like your current catback and don't want to search for something else, I would definitely recommend adding cats/catted Y. Forget the 2hp you give up. I say the small horsepower loss is a small price to pay, to enjoy the sound of your ride. Good luck man.

Thread Information