Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2002 camaro ss

Help with bolt ons

Hey guys I'm brand new to the Ls1 world and was just wondering what are some of the best bolt ons to do first? I'm looking to start off with the basic bolt ons then work my way up. I just bought my 2002 camaro ss the other day and it is the slp version...any advice would help out alot. I need help! haha

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

It is an automatic or Manual?

Headers Y/X pipe and cat back. Other exhuast system setups would be true duals or Mufflex 4".

You need sub frame connectors. I prefer weld in style.

If auto.... a stall will sompletely change your car. If you ever plan on a cam install, start thinking about the basics of the drivabilty of the cam you are wanting so you can some what match it up with your stall. Usually, the stall is too small.

Suspension. Where to start. Just goto the suspension section and start reading.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Lid and Smooth Bellows are good to put on with the headers/exhaust.

red
    2002 camaro ss

its an automatic...i've heard of stalled autos but never understood what that meant. I don't want a huge cam in the future just something to give a little bit more power without sacrificing the driveability of my car. It already has a slp lid. I like the way it sounds now and i don't really want to make it loud. I want to have it sound stock but under the hood not be stock.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

you DONT NEED sub-frame connectors. they are a suspension option. hell, i dont even have sfc's. even strano himself has said they are a bandaid fix to other suspension issues.

OP, what are your goals for your car/build? everyone here can offer suggestions, but we cant truly offer good advice until you know what you want first.

you mention a cam. a 'small cam' that offers proven power under the curve is the 224 cam. since you're an auto, you will need a an LSA of 114 or so. with this cam, you will need the supporting mods such as, valvetrain upgrades, ported oil pump, Ls2 timing chain, stall of the car, and i would atleast upgrade the exhaust the most you can without making the car too loud as you mentioned.

do some reasearch and figure out your goals. have fun.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Thats your opinion. I cant believe you dont have SFC on your car. People tweak their frames on stock power. Carry on with your thoughts.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

It's not just my opinion, but the opinions of others as well including a very well respected suspension expert.

Btw, frames still get tweaked with sfc's...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    It's not just my opinion, but the opinions of others as well including a very well respected suspension expert.

Btw, frames still get tweaked with sfc's...
    Of course they do. T-tops will make a car very vulnerable to frame tweaking. You saying, in any way shape or form that SFC isn't good/ very good preventive maintenance for a Fbody?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Regardless of what anyone says i will be buying SFC's, ive had 5 camaro's and they've all had them. I do it for preference because the car feels different not soo much that it handles better or not.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

there are other things you should do before subframe connectors

Red
    2001 Trans Am

for instance, shocks/springs, LCA's and a panhard bar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Of course they do. T-tops will make a car very vulnerable to frame tweaking. You saying, in any way shape or form that SFC isn't good/ very good preventive maintenance for a Fbody?
    no, what i said was, they aren't necessary. they aren't a must have, must do type of mod. i would say they are application specific. if your application/build calls for it, then after addressing other issues of the suspension, its their decision to make if they want them

since it is possible to tweak your frame after sfc install, how preventitive and effective did they end up being?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

ANYWAYS!!!!.....

Let us know what you want out of the car and we'll go from there!

I'd start with long tube headers

2002 WS6 TranAm

I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has a specialty shop the focuses on F-Body cars. I recently visited with the same questions you have trying to develop a game plan for mod's. This was what I was told and I have been able to get some fairly good research done that verifies a good bit of it.

1st Mod's

How your car feels in your hand and butt. Meaning a short throw shifter (I was recommended a Pro 5.0) and 4.10 gears (was told it will make you feel like you have 50 more hp)

2/3rd Could be done before or after exhaust

Instake/Bolt On's. Lid, filter, smooth bellow, ported and polished TB, extended MAF ends (lots of controversy here,) underdrive pulley and belts

2/3rd Could be done before or after intake

Exhaust. LT headers if you are in an area that allows them, X or Y Pipe, decision on to delete emmissions or not again depending on your area and an exhaust.

Once your intake and exhaust are done than a good tune, dyno pull, etc. to see where you are at.

In addition to these mod's I'm considering springs, shocks, subframe connectors, panhard bar, tire and rims.

I have a stock car outside of a lid, shock tower brace and muffler so I'm in a simliar position. Thought I would share what I was told and what I'm considering. For what it's worth hope it helps.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

He's already got a lid...it's an SLP.

red
    2002 camaro ss

yea ive already got a lid and slp exhaust on it...my goals for the car are to have around 415 to 435 hp and 395/400 torque. Thats all i really want. nothing too crazy just enough to have a lot of fun with. Oh and i live in south carolina so longtubes aren't a problem. I have a 62 chevy truck with strait pipes connected to a 383 stroker so if i can drive that around without a problem then im sure longtubes will be fine lol
    Last edited by redLss1; 04-27-2009 at 11:14 AM.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Red what part of SC? I'm also in SC. I live in the upstate however am in the midlands each week for work as well as Charlotte.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Here are some suggestions:
    -LT headers
    -subframe connectors
    -mild head/cam package
    -dyno tune
    -stall - but pick your cam first and make sure they will work well together
    -suspension stuff... You could build your suspension first, but that is not as much fun

That should make the power you are after. Good luck and enjoy modding your car!

2002 WS6 TranAm

I agree SS are going to need head/cams in order to get where you are going. Just bolt on's alone won't do it.

red
    2002 camaro ss

thanks alot guys gonna start doing some research on that list now! im in the lexington area of sc

Thread Information