Thread: Hedman Headers

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

Hedman Headers

I was just wondering if anyone has heard any good or bad things about the Hedman Tork-Step LT headers for 98-02 LS1. Im in the market for some LT headers with AIR/EGR and Y-pipe that wont rob my bank account and i just happened to see these advertised in a mag. I know everyone is going to hang themselves because of another header ? but i did not know that Hedman even made LT headers for LS1. Any input would be appreciated.

i used them on my 98 camaro, they fit perfect and i was able to easily modify the factory y-pipe to hook up to them, the whole job was very simple

Midnight Blue
    99' Trans Am

Just make sure you get the ceramic coated ones, otherwise they will rust.

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

Did you have the LTs, if so do you have the part # for them and also did they have AIR/EGR hookups. I have been looking at the Tork-Step headers and they seem to be a great design, plus i need something to open up my cam

yes they were the long tubes and they had all the air and egr fittings, all bolts, gaskets, collectors, i got them from summit racing HED-68534 around $230

i could not believe how good they fit for a cheap long tube header and they come with ball style collectors so there is no gasket to blow out, and where the headers come out makes it very easy to hook to the factory y-pipe

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

I am leaning more and more towards these stepped tube Hedman headers after what you are saying about them. I assume that you did away with your cats. but how did you connect them to the Y-pipe since it is flat on drivers side. Also are you using O2 sims or what. thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Flobeast385
    I am leaning more and more towards these stepped tube Hedman headers after what you are saying about them. I assume that you did away with your cats. but how did you connect them to the Y-pipe since it is flat on drivers side. Also are you using O2 sims or what. thanks for the help
    yes no cats, the pass side just needed a straight piece of pipe to connect the collector to the factory y-pipe

on the drivers side you need to make 2 cuts, you leave the oval pipe there, just shorten it and weld it back together, then weld the collector to the round part of the pipe just in front of where it turns to the oval pipe,

leave the drivers side of the y pipe there till after you get the header installed on that side, you will see then what im talking about, it is very simple

and the pass side is just a straight pipe about 11-12" long to connect to the factory y pipe

i used tuner cat to delete the o2 codes from the computer

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

I just looked under my car and i know exactly what your talking about. Did you need to use any reducers from the 3 inch collecter on the headers to the existing y-pipe or did it match up pretty good. I will probobly go that route since the factory Y does flow pretty good, but I cannot find any ORYs that Hedman makes to fit these headers unless there is another brand of Y that will work with these such as Pacesetter or Hooker. Also did you feel any gains or dyno numbers after the install. thanks for all the help.

the collectors that come with the headers are the same size as the factory pipe, so just make straight cuts and but weld them together, i noticed a large gain, and the nitrous worked much better

heddman makes a complete header back system and a y-pipe for these headers but i kept the factory y-pipe because it was so easy to make it work

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

Yeah i believe that i am going to order some tomm. and just keep the factory Y, and then if i decide to go with a full 3" then i can with no problems. Im glad to here that you could feel a lot of difference because i am hoping that it will let this Comp 224R cam breath a little more.

red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

those of u that have used these headers, was there a big difference in performance? a little? i know the primary's are smaller than most lt headers. are they as good as pacesetters?

Thread Information