Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

Headers throwing codes...Please help!!

I' ve read a lot of threads on here about running long tube headers and I must say that I am more confused now than I was before. I want to run the OBX racing headers on my 02 CETA but don't want to have any issues with the car throwing out codes afterwards. I've read useing 02 sims work on the front 02 but not on the back 02. I've read having the 02 codes programmed out of the computer can be done also...didn't know that could be done. I'm not worried about the car passing the emmisions inspection if I don't run cats because I have some connections in my area that will pass it...I just don't want the dash to loo like a christmass tree with all kinds of lights coming on or the car to run like crap. Can anyone help to clarify this for me...Please help.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

What type of inspection do they do out there? Visual, scan?

Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

Both. They do whatever they can to fail you...almost as bad as Cali emmisions but I can get around it if need be.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

just get the codes tuned out and you dont have to worry about anything. your car wont run like shit either. a good tune will be great with those headers ect.

Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

Thanks Shaddy, can I get the codes tuned out at the local Pontiac dealer or do I need to go somewhere else to get it done? Can they tune out all 4 of the 02s...I read just the front 2 can be done. Thanks.

98' trans am

um i would steer clear of the dealership. most handheld tuners and any tuner shop will be able to. you need at least 2 02 sensors..the pcm uses them to adjust a/f and timing ect.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by exlrep2002 View Post
    Thanks Shaddy, can I get the codes tuned out at the local Pontiac dealer or do I need to go somewhere else to get it done? Can they tune out all 4 of the 02s...I read just the front 2 can be done. Thanks.
    Go to a reputable tuning shop or get a Diablo Sport handheld tuner. The dealership will not turn off emmissions equipment for you.

As for the O2 sensors, you are very confused. The front sensors cannot be tuned out unless you want to run open loop on preset tables all the time, which will kill your fuel economy and driveability. They adjust the Air/Fuel ratio of the engine so it runs properly. The rear O2 sensors are the ones you want to tune out, their only job is to measure catalyst efficiency, which has no effect on engine performance. Obviously without cats they are going to throw a code, so all you have to do is have them tuned out.

Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

Thanks Wesman, so all I really need to do connect the front 2 O2 sensors in the new headers like the they came out of the factory exhaust and tune out the rear 2 and I shouldn't have any codes being thrown out? Sorry for sounding ignorant about this but just want to cover all of my bases. Thanks.

98' trans am

Thanks Wesman, so all I really need to do connect the front 2 O2 sensors in the new headers like the they came out of the factory exhaust and tune out the rear 2 and I shouldn't have any codes being thrown out? Sorry for sounding ignorant about this but just want to cover all of my bases. Thanks.
    dont worry about it..everyone has to learn some time..trust me i have had many stupid questions and posts and got edumacated

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Exactly. You can also tune out the AIR system if you want, but ususally that won't throw a code unless you disconnect the pump/wiring harness itself.

Collector Edition Yellow
    2002 Trans Am

Thanks guys for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

but in order to connect the front o2 sensors youll need to buy extensions OR the longer bosch corvette ones that will fit.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    but in order to connect the front o2 sensors youll need to buy extensions OR the longer bosch corvette ones that will fit.
    Good call.

If you are going to replace them (reccommended if you have 75K+ miles) go with Bosch 13111's. They are the Corvette rear sensors, and are long enough to reach with out extensions. They also have better heaters in them, and therefore are supposed to fix the "insufficient/slow switching" codes.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Yup I have the bosch o2's and they work great. I need to get a tune now. I put on pacesetters btw. Good luck with the install

Thread Information