Headers question.

I apologise if this has already been asked (I did search).

Can headers be fitted without any other modification? I would be looking to get a K&N filter and SLP lid as well, would this be sufficient on the intake side?

Would this make it necessary to get it tuned and is this achievable with a hand-held?

Hope the questions aren't too simplistic, I've done quite a lot of searching on the Internet without finding definitive answers.

All feedback will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You must have us confused with another site! Ask all the questions you want.

There are mid length headers that bolt in place of the stock exhaust manifolds and have provisions for the emissions stuff. Your best bet though are long tube headers and a Y-pipe. The Y-pipes come with or without cats. The version without cats is often referred to as an "ORY" - for "Off Road Y". There are no modifications necessary to the car to install headers, unless you also plan on deleting emissions stuff. In that case, you may need to flash new settings to your PCM in order to avoid having the SES lit all the time.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

In addition, if you install LT headers, front O2s with longer harnesses are recommended, as opposed to splicing the wiring. Bosch 13111s are a common substitute, and work quite well. If you use an ORY, you can simply eliminate the rear O2s, as they only tell the PCM if the cats are working and do not affect performance. I'd avoid using a handheld tuner, as many seem to cause more harm than good. I'm not sure on the shipping, but Frost - a site sponser - is very highly recommended for his mail order tunes. Jeff will back me up on that.

Oh, and there's no such thing as a too simple of a question to answer. It's all part of the learniing process.

Thanks guys, you've been most helpful. The ORY sounds tempting but we need cats to pass the UK M.O.T test. I could install high flow(100 cell I think) cats then I could delete rear O2s, I'd also want to get rid of the AIR system because that isn't required in the UK.

In your opinions would a K&N filter, SLP lid and headers be a good modification starting point?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'd avoid the K&N filter, as the oil tends to get on the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF), and cause problems. A paper filter works just fine. The SLP lid is good, and changing the bellows to a smooth one can help some too. If you can locate a Fernco fitting at a home repair store, those are cheaper than the aftermarket smooth bellows, and work just the same. I'd also look into Pacesetter headers, if you're on a budget. They're a great value for the money, and pretty good quality. If not on a budget, Kooks or QTP make top of the line headers.

Jeff made a great thread on removing the AIR system - http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/seconda...=Secondary+air

Hope this helps.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

slp lid is great it dropped my ET a tenth of a second my car with just a muffler delete ran a 13.7 and i added a slp lid and small freemods with a v-force muffler and ran a 13.6 now after headers ORY, ported TB, and FROST tune(made a HUGE difference being an A4 transmission) i finally hit 12.98
    SLP lid w/K&N Filter, Free-Mods, LT-Headers, ORY-Pipe, V-Force Muffler, Frost Tune, AIR/EGR Delete, SFCs, Ported TB

My00Z28-----2000/Z28--------2.0331---8.4118 @ 86.83----12.9856 @ 107.15----NA------10/11

Yellow
    2002 CETA

If your going to do headers, do the tune also. I sent mine to Frost and is was night and day difference in performance. It was also a lot more fun to drive with the A4. Shifts like a SOB now..

Don
    2002 CETA - ASC# 0008 - 9-7-2001 | Pacesetter LT| TSP ORY| Magnaflow CB | Poly M-Mounts | ASA Cam | 3600 stall | Tuned By Frost <mail order>

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We run the catted-Y from Kooks on our car. It fits nice and tight to the underbody and we have had zero problems. I did delete the rear O2's and had Frost make the appropriate changes in the tune to keep the SES light off.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I'd avoid using a handheld tuner, as many seem to cause more harm than good.
    I was considering one just to do minor things like fault finding and deleting rear 02s, would you still advise against?

I have looked at the Frost website, but I am cautious about my PCM getting lost somewhere in either postal system.

Mike

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

When used for monitoring and disabling SES codes, I wouldn't expect any problems. It's usually when people use the preprogrammed tunes that problems occur. Many times, it will lean out the A/F ratio. While it may add a bit of power, it is bad for the engine. Same with aftermarket MAFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    When used for monitoring and disabling SES codes, I wouldn't expect any problems. It's usually when people use the preprogrammed tunes that problems occur. Many times, it will lean out the A/F ratio. While it may add a bit of power, it is bad for the engine. Same with aftermarket MAFs.
    I thought this would be so, now I have to research for the most appropriate one.

You've been a great help, everyone has, I really appreciate it.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

That's what we're here for.

Thread Information