HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

Question headers,ory,cutout & plug/wire time

wasup fellas,im getting together everything ill need for my header install,just have a couple questions for ya`ll..ill be changing my plugs/wires also do i need this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...QQcmdZViewItem also when putting in my headers & ory are bandclamps used at the collectors & where the ypipe meets the catback to seal everything?im assuming after the header/ory install i can have a muffler shop weld in the cutout,right?btw the headers are jethot coated pacesetters,ory & stainless manual cutout..im going to be getting msd wires,still debating which brand plugs to get,gm oem gaskets(if mine are toast)& arp bolts.any usefull input is welcome

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

bump

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

Navy blue Metallic
    2002 trans am

a lot of people on here recommend ngk tr55 iridiums... do a search to check what to gap them to. Recently I've heard people suggesting smaller like .40 but before that I had always heard around .55... I wouldn't worry about that fancy ebay link. The only "special" thing I needed for changing my plugs was a swivel extension... if you have trouble try getting the #8 (rear passenger side) plug from under the car between the cat and tranny... thats the only way that worked for me. You might also need 24" 02 extensions for the fronts and 02 sims for the rear (or live with the code until you get it tuned out). Also, some people suggest doing poly motor and tranny mounts while doing a header install. Only if you'd ever end up doing those anyway of course. Be prepared to get a tune after completion. Hope I helped! good luck!

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

thanx,im debating between buying the ngk`s or autolites.also will i need 24" or 12" 02 extensions?thought it was 12"and for the 02sims ill just wait & get them tuned out.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    thanx,im debating between buying the ngk`s or autolites.also will i need 24" or 12" 02 extensions?thought it was 12"and for the 02sims ill just wait & get them tuned out.
    12" extensions should be more than enough for the fronts... the rear o2 (after the cat converters) sims can be tuned out...

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

You might want to consider doing an oil change at the same time. The drivers side seems to go in much easier without the oil filter in the way.

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

thanx guys,so the ebay link i posted above w/ the sockets is unnecessary?also what `bout a good cutout location..& is the "l" part of the ory a good place(right before the catback)?ive read under the rear pass side seat is good,but isnt that only cutting out the exhaust from the pass side header??

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

After installing the headers will you need a full complete tune? Or just a base tune where they turn the rear 02's off. There's a shop that offer's both and a full tune runs around $500 where a base tune runs around $150 big differences in price. Can you get away with a base tune after installing headers or do you need a full tune????

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

im pretty sure the less expensive one includes code deletion

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    thanx guys,so the ebay link i posted above w/ the sockets is unnecessary?also what `bout a good cutout location..& is the "l" part of the ory a good place(right before the catback)?ive read under the rear pass side seat is good,but isnt that only cutting out the exhaust from the pass side header??

No that location under the rear passenger is on the I pipe after the Y, so it will cutout the entire catback if you put it there.

You also need antisieze for the spark plugs and header bolts, and dilectric grease for your plug to wire connections. Oh yeah, and a lift is very helpful too

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

good lookin out BLACKSS1!thanx

Thread Information