94 Z28

Headers, Long tube vs Mid tube

I'm looking to get some headers but I have to pass an emissions sniff test so I need to have all the stock egr/air hook ups. I was leaning towards pace setter headers. I have found the mid tube headers have all the hook ups I need but none of the long tubes seem to.

So my question is if I go with mid tube over long tube what am I going to be giving up (performace, sound, etc.)?

*edit
    The vehicle is a 94 Z28 (LT1)
    Last edited by hix5000; 05-02-2008 at 07:53 PM.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

I got pacesetter long tubes on my 94 and it does fine in emissions. I just tuned it and did fine without cats even.

10's N/A

Long-tubes won't pass the visual in AZ. I'd say go with mid-lengths.

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    Long-tubes won't pass the visual in AZ. I'd say go with mid-lengths.
    we have visual here and I just said "come on, come on" and they passed me. lol. pretty cool dude. I think he's a 3rd gen guy though. there was a 3rd gen in the employee parking there.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    we have visual here and I just said "come on, come on" and they passed me. lol. pretty cool dude. I think he's a 3rd gen guy though. there was a 3rd gen in the employee parking there.
    You got lucky. Too bad there not all like that. It pays to know someone though

white
    94 camaro z28

You got lucky. Too bad there not all like that. It pays to know someone though
    yeah. I think next year it's gonna be harder though. I need to put some test pipes on it.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    yeah. I think next year it's gonna be harder though. I need to put some test pipes on it.
    When are you going to take advantage of those ported stockers and get a cam?

white
    94 camaro z28

When are you going to take advantage of those ported stockers and get a cam?
    when I have the money and permission from the fiance. and i am not having car problems. lol. I am about to put a new differential in it monday. I have alot of things I am doing before it. I will though. it's just a matter of money, fiance, and everything has been running good for a few weeks without any obvious weak points. I still look at different ones all the time trying to figure out what I want. It's fun to shop for that kind of thing

94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hix5000 View Post
    So my question is if I go with mid tube over long tube what am I going to be giving up (performace, sound, etc.
    Anyone have thoughts on what I would be losing by going with mid tube over long tube?

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by hix5000 View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on what I would be losing by going with mid tube over long tube?
    A few horsepower that's it.

hugger orange

the long tubes give you more power, but are not emissions legal. the mid tubes give you alittle more over stock and alot of them are emissions legal. If you have the energy, just keep and pop your stock exhaust back on once a year, run through emissions then pop your aftermarket back on again...I'm tagged in maryland. I'm running longtube pacesetters, 3 inch true duals, through a set of flowmasters with no cats, I and I pass every time. My car sits too low to run the mirror under and get up on the dyno, so all they can do is hookup to odb port and read for codes, then give me my sticker for two more years

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    the long tubes give you more power, but are not emissions legal. the mid tubes give you alittle more over stock and alot of them are emissions legal. If you have the energy, just keep and pop your stock exhaust back on once a year, run through emissions then pop your aftermarket back on again...I'm tagged in maryland. I'm running longtube pacesetters, 3 inch true duals, through a set of flowmasters with no cats, I and I pass every time. My car sits too low to run the mirror under and get up on the dyno, so all they can do is hookup to odb port and read for codes, then give me my sticker for two more years
    True quality mid-lengths like Pacesetter's or AS&M mids will actually give you more than a few horsepower. I have seen a dyno comparison on an LS1 between Pacesetter LT's and mid's. The difference was only 5rwhp, but ofcourse more power is always better.

Thread Information