Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1998 Z28

headers and drag times

Just went to the track with my new headers and ORY. My times stayed the same as with the stock manifolds in the 60ft 2.0s and 1000ft 11.0@96. My 1/8 mile time was about .1 slower 8.7s than it used to be with the same 1000ft time. what is the cause for slower 1/8 times and no gain in the 1000ft?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

get a tune after u installed them??

red
    1998 Z28

no. tuners around want to charge anywhere from 400-600 for a dyno tune don't have the cash.
    SLP lts & ORY, ssra, slp lid, gran. maf, smooth bellow, hppIII, Louth Mouth II, no cats, SLP strut tower brace & SFC's, LCA Reloc. Brackets, 1LE front sway, 3.23, A4

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Weather differences? Restrictive catback? Tracktion issues? Its hard too say last month on stock mf, i ran a 13. then when i instailed my headers i ran a 14. I mean the test conditions would have too be somewhat the same.
    I know personaly after i did lid, and full length exhaust i ran worse bc there was a lack of traction, so i got some drag radials and did alot better.
    how were your 60'ft times, differ
    Just an idear
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

wow 275 i found out recently near me......4-600 is rediculous......but may be your prob......go for a sunday drive or take a vaca somwhere where u can get it done cheaper

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

dam, thats alot for a tune, check out one of the mail order sponsers, pcmforless.com or check farther out.
    J

Red
    1999 Z28

i ran 12.9 @110mph with pacsetter lt,ory,magnamouth catback on stock tune

Red
    2000 SS

did you reset the computer after installation.....its usually a good idea so the computer can compensate for and relearn the engines breathing characteristics.......it is nothing like a tune but it helps. Also, longtubes can actually cause you to lose a little but of low end TQ but they usually make up for it in the mid to uper RPM's. Maybe since you are running the 1/8 mile it may be harder to notice the improvement vs. running a 1/4 mile.......just an idea.

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

How do you reset the computer? Is it just done by disconnecting the negative battery cable or what?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Wikid NaSSty View Post
    longtubes can actually cause you to lose a little but of low end TQ but they usually make up for it in the mid to uper RPM's. Maybe since you are running the 1/8 mile it may be harder to notice the improvement vs. running a 1/4 mile.......just an idea.
    What I was thinking.
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 08-30-2006 at 03:26 PM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98LS1Z28 View Post
    Just went to the track with my new headers and ORY. My times stayed the same as with the stock manifolds in the 60ft 2.0s and 1000ft 11.0@96. My 1/8 mile time was about .1 slower 8.7s than it used to be with the same 1000ft time. what is the cause for slower 1/8 times and no gain in the 1000ft?
    When did you go? I went last saturday and didn't see a red Z. I ran 11.3@ 96.3 w/ 2.1 60'. So pretty much we ran almost the same time if I hook a little better on my 60'. BTW, I don't have my LTs yet will install them next week and will do another run at centerville again. My mods are lid, TDs, free mods.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the computer in the car is not going to relearn headers, plain and simple.
    will it relearn a lid and ported throttle body sure.
    you will need a tune.
    when i did headers and a tune i gained 30 rear wheel horsepower and i lost.3 tenths off my best time.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Red
    2000 SS

How do you reset the computer? Is it just done by disconnecting the negative battery cable or what?
    yea.....disconnect for a few minutes....quick and easy.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 98LS1Z28 View Post
    SLP lts & ORY, ssra, slp lid, gran. maf, smooth bellow, hppIII, Louth Mouth II, no cats, SLP strut tower brace & SFC's, LCA Reloc. Brackets, 1LE front sway, 3.23, A4
    quoted your SIG. ditch the HPPIII. sell it. then you have about 1/2 the price you need for a real tune. i speak from experience. I had the HPPIII on my car when I got it dyno'd with just the cat-back and i had lower RWHP and RWTQ. I detuned it for my second pull and the results are in my sig. if you want the proof I have the dyno sheets. the HPPIII leans out your A/F and up in high RPM you're starving your engine (which over time can lead to a burnt hole in your piston and other issues). if you do what i suggest, by removing your HPPIII, selling it and then getting an HP tune, you will notice the difference.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

gray
    1999 Corvette

i ran 1/4 mile at 13.5 @ 103 and want to know what things you guys put into your cars to run 11s

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Limon View Post
    i ran 1/4 mile at 13.5 @ 103 and want to know what things you guys put into your cars to run 11s
    heads/cam, full exhaust, gears, tune, a good set of D.R.s, and time at the track

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Limon View Post
    looks like that's 11's to the thousand foot mark and not the 1320

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    looks like that's 11's to the thousand foot mark and not the 1320
    LOL! yeah... its 1000' mark. 11.3= 13.5 sec 1/4 FYI.

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

Quote Originally Posted by Wikid NaSSty View Post
    Also, longtubes can actually cause you to lose a little but of low end TQ but they usually make up for it in the mid to uper RPM's.
    You have your understanding of long tube headers backwards. Long tubes create much more torque lower in the RPM range than shorty headers or the stock castings. Shorty headers create power well in the upper RPM's. Long tube headers give you a a much better performance boost all around. The mistake some people make is that they put to large a header on their mostly stock engine and expect an insane improvement in HP...An over sized set of headers will actually decrease your performance in many situations. Go do the CNC ported heads, the bigger cam, better breathing LS6 or FAST intake, better breathing throttle body, etc...etc...You need all of these things to make a trick pair of headers do their job. Remember, your engine is nothing more than an air pump...get it to breath in alot of air and exhale alot of air..and you'll go faster.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Quote Originally Posted by porsche914ls6 View Post
    You have your understanding of long tube headers backwards. Long tubes create much more torque lower in the RPM range than shorty headers or the stock castings. Shorty headers create power well in the upper RPM's. Long tube headers give you a a much better performance boost all around. The mistake some people make is that they put to large a header on their mostly stock engine and expect an insane improvement in HP...An over sized set of headers will actually decrease your performance in many situations. Go do the CNC ported heads, the bigger cam, better breathing LS6 or FAST intake, better breathing throttle body, etc...etc...You need all of these things to make a trick pair of headers do their job. Remember, your engine is nothing more than an air pump...get it to breath in alot of air and exhale alot of air..and you'll go faster.
    why did my tq and power band move up in the rpm range??
    i have dyno pulls that show before and after header pulls.

Thread Information